Poulan Pro PR621 Review
Poulan Pro PR621
|(Rated: 4.3 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Gas Single-Stage Snow Blower, Best Snow Blower, Gas Single-Stage Snow Blower Buying Guide, Gas Single-Stage Snow Blower Reviews, Gas Snow Blower Buying Guide, Poulan Pro, Poulan Pro Snow Blowers, Snow Blower Buying Guide, Snow Blower Reviews,|
Gas powered single stage snow blowers remain incredibly popular among consumers in spite of the growing availability of electric snow blowers for one simple reason: they have a lot more power under their hoods. Because of this, gas powered single stage snow blowers provide higher snow cut depths and bigger clearance widths than even the largest electric snow blowers can. Gas powered single stage snow blowers also allow for higher per-minute snow clearance capacities. There are still some drawbacks to these machines – namely, they are louder than electric snow blowers and have much larger carbon footprints. But if you have a larger driveway to keep clear and you live in an area of the country that tends to get a lot of heavy snow fall every winter, you want a gas powered single stage snow blower that can handle that kind of workload. The Poulan Pro PR621 has all of the advantages these machines can offer as well as a few of its own.
The Poulan Pro PR621 is a gas powered single stage snow blower with a powerful 208 cubic centimeter engine that provides enough power for the snow blower to move up to 1100 pounds of snow per minute. It has an extra wide 21 inch auger and a high 13 inch snow cut depth. There is a composite scraper bar mounted on the snow blower to ensure it does not leave a layer of snow behind, and overall the Poulan Pro PR621 is made of highly durable materials that ensure it can hold up to whatever winter can throw at it over the long term.
Like many other single-stage gas powered snow blowers with big, powerful engines, the Poulan Pro PR621 is not compliant with California Air Resources Board standards, which limits which states it can be used in. And with its reduced fuel efficiency, it only holds enough gas to run for about an hour at a time before it needs to be refilled. There are also a few minor issues with the design of the machine.
When it is compared to similar models, the Poulan Pro PR621 has one of the highest clearance widths and snow cut depths and can clear the highest capacity per minute. It is one of the more expensive models of its size, but because of what it offers I do think it is reasonably priced.
The Poulan Pro PR621 is a single stage gas powered snow blower with dimensions of 26.5 x 31.2 x 24.5 inches. It has a button push starter and a 208 cubic centimeter, 4-cycle engine. Its clearing width is 21 inches and its snow cut depth is 13 inches. It can clear 1100 pounds of snow per minute.
|Dimensions||26.5 x 31.2 x 24.5 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Poulan Pro|
|Engine||208 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Clearing Width||21 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||13 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 1100 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 25 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°|
The Poulan Pro PR621 has a throw distance of up to 25 feet. It has no internal drive system and must be pushed by the operator. Its manually controlled chute rotates 180 degrees about its center radius. The snow blower has compact wheels and weighs 70 pounds. It comes with a 2 year warranty.
The Poulan Pro PR621 is a gas powered single stage snow blower with a powerful 208 cubic centimeter engine that provides enough power to give the machine’s auger a clearance capacity of 1100 pounds of snow per minute. It has an extra wide 21 inch clearance and a 13 inch snow cut depth, which is one of the highest available on a single stage snow blower of its size. The extra wide clearance allows you to finish clearing a big driveway in fewer passes, and the few extra inches on either side really add up quickly. This means you will be able to finish clearing your driveway much more quickly and be back indoors and warming up sooner. The 13 inch high snow cut depth will ensure that you are prepared to tackle whatever snow storms winter can throw at you, and even if you live in a region in which snow storms tend to be on the heavier side, you will be ready for them with the Poulan Pro PR621.
The Poulan Pro PR621 is made of very durable parts, so you can be sure that it will be able to hold up to whatever tough jobs you need to use it for. Its body is made of welded steel, and the same is true for its auger housing, which is reinforced by ball bearing supports and has rubber coated blades for improved propulsion. Every aspect of this snow blower is designed and manufactured to make it tougher and better equipped to handle heavy winter storms. While it is priced on the higher end of the range, I think that due to its construction and overall ability, its price tag is reasonable. This is a solid, tough snow blower.
There are a number of great features that make the Poulan Pro PR621 one of the more durable and robust snow blowers in its size class. It has a powerful, big engine that can move up to 1100 pounds of snow per minute, an extra wide auger and a high snow cut depth. It has a convenient scraper to ensure you are completely clearing snow. And its parts and manufacturing are durable enough to ensure you can rely on it for many years to come.
- Powerful 208 cubic centimeter engine : The engine on the Poulan Pro PR621 has a 208 cubic centimeter displacement and produces 9 foot pounds of torque. It is a four cycle overhead valve design (OHV) engine, and it is completely enclosed in the body of the snow blower for greater protection. It’s easily accessible for cleaning and will require less maintenance than other engine designs. Because it is four cycle you will not have to mix oil and gas to run it and only have to periodically change the oil about once or twice a year, depending on how much use it gets.
- 21 inch clearing width : The clearing width on the Poulan Pro PR621 is a full 21 inches wide, which ensures you will be able to finish clearing your driveway and sidewalks more quickly and efficiently. The clearance width is enough to clear a city sidewalk completely in just two passes, and it’s wide enough to cut a reasonable walkway in just one pass. The extra wide clearance ensures that you can finish clearing even a big three car driveway in less than a half an hour and be back indoors where it’s warm and cozy sooner than ever.
- 13 inch high snow cut depth : At 13 inches, the snow cut depth on the Poulan Pro PR621 is high enough to ensure you will be ready to handle whatever precipitation winter can throw at you. The average snow fall per storm in most regions of the United States does not get above ten inches, so you will have a few extra inches to ensure you are always prepared for winter storms. This allows you to wait until it stops snowing before you have to go outside to clear it, making less work for you over the course of the winter.
- Fully clears snow, leaving none behind : The Poulan Pro PR621 has a scraper bar made of composite materials mounted underneath the clearing auger, which helps to ensure that snow is completely cleared from the surface of the driveway or sidewalk. The scraper bar also helps to prevent damage to paved surfaces and to the auger itself, ensuring a longer life for the snow blower and absolutely no nicks or scrapes on your concrete or asphalt driveway.
- Durable construction : The Poulan Pro PR621 is designed to withstand whatever wear and tear winter can throw at it. It has a fully welded steel frame that is coated with E-dip to provide even more protection. The auger housing is also made of welded steel and has ball bearing supports and fiber reinforced rubber blades for reliable propulsion. The snow chute is made of high density poly materials that are resistant to damage from debris or impacts.
The robust design and overall power and durability the Poulan Pro PR621 provides are its best features, because they make it possible to tackle tough, big jobs with heavy snow fall without having the snow blower fail you. This is the kind of power and performance you want to be able to rely on from your snow blower so that you can tackle whatever winter throws at you over many winters to come.
There are a number of minor drawbacks to the Poulan Pro PR621 that do affect its performance in rather minor ways. Like many other gas powered snow blowers, it is not CARB compliant. The handle on its snow chute is a bit difficult to use. There is a lot of snow kickback from the rear of the snow blower. The gas tank needs refilling after an hour. And the machine’s vibrations tend to cause the bolts and screws to become loose.
- High emissions; not CARB compliant : The design of the engine on the Poulan Pro PR621 allows it to provide more power with a smaller overall displacement, but it also means that it is not very fuel efficient and produces a high amount of emissions. As a result, if you live in any of the fourteen states that use the California Air Resources Board emissions standards for small engine machines, you will not be able to purchase or legally use this snow blower.
- The manual chute handle is difficult to use : The manual snow chute on the Poulan Pro PR621 rotates a full 180 degrees, which is certainly useful. But the handle on the chute is fairly short and not particularly well placed, and as a result you may find that it is fairly difficult to use it. If you either set your chute once and go, or only have to adjust it once or twice while you are working, this will not be a huge problem, but otherwise it could present issues.
- There is significant snow kickback : The auger blade on the Poulan Pro PR621 is rounded, rather than squared off, and primarily for this reason there is a lot of snow kickback from the snow blower. What I mean by that is that a lot of snow gets shot out the rear of the snow blower while you are using it. As a result, your boots and pants will be covered with snow after you use it, and a fair amount of loose snow will be left lying around your driveway at the end of the job.
- Gas tank only holds enough for about an hour : The gas tank on the Poulan Pro PR621 holds just about enough fuel to run the snow blower for an hour or so. If you have an average or medium sized suburban driveway, you should be able to easily clear it in less than half an hour. If you live in a region of the country like the Northeast that gets a lot of snow through the winter, you may find that you have to repeatedly refill it with gas; this problem is exacerbated by the fact that the engine is not very fuel efficient.
- Vibrations tend to loosen bolts and screws : While all single stage gas powered snow blowers vibrate a lot, the bolts and screws for some are better designed than those on others – especially in terms of their housing. Unfortunately, the Poulan Pro PR621 is one of those models on which the screws and bolts tend to get loosened rather easily by the vibrations of the machine. That does not mean it will fall apart on you while you’re using it, but you should be prepared to retighten screws and bolts between uses.
For the most part, these Cons are fairly minor design issues that do not significantly affect the overall performance of the machine. It is not uncommon for gas powered snow blowers to be non-CARB compliant. While the manual chute is difficult to use, one gets used to it. The snow kickback is not a huge problem. While the loosening of bolts and screws is a hassle, it is easy enough to deal with.
When it’s compared to similar models in its size class, the Poulan Pro PR621 tends to perform in a number of key areas. It has a big, powerful engine and one of the highest capacities per minute for single stage snow blowers. Its clearing width and snow cut depth are also quite high. The following table compares the Poulan Pro PR621 to the Warrior Tools WR67404B and the Yard Machines 31A-2M1E700.
|Dimensions||26.5 x 31.2 x 24.5 inches||26 x 20 x 21.5 inches||28.4 x 22.7 x 24.9 inches|
|Start||Button push||Recoil||Button push|
|Engine Manufacturer||Poulan Pro||Warrior Tools||Yard Machines|
|Engine||208 cc – OHV||87 cc – OHV||123 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Clearing Width||21 inches||20 inches||21 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||13 inches||12 inches||13 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 1100 pounds||Up to 900 pounds||Up to 1100 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 25 feet||Up to 20 feet||Up to 25 feet|
|Drive||Manual push||Manual push||Manual push|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°||Manual 180°||Manual 180°|
|Wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels|
|Weight||70 pounds||70.4 pounds||77 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
The Poulan Pro PR621 has the biggest engine, at 208 cc, and one of the widest clearing widths, at 21 inches. Its 13 inch snow cut depth is the highest of the three. While it is one of the larger models, it weighs the least of the three machines. It has one of the highest throw distances and is one of the most durable of the three machines.
Any way you slice it, the Poulan Pro PR621 is a durable, dependable machine. Its engine has a big displacement and the snow blower is able to support an extra wide clearance and a very high snow cut depth. It fully clears snow and it has a very durable overall construction.
- Powerful 208 cubic centimeter engine.
- 21 inch clearing width.
- 13 inch high snow cut depth.
- Fully clears snow, leaving none behind.
- Durable construction.
The 208 cc engine allows the Poulan Pro PR621 to clear up to 1100 pounds of snow per minute. The machine has an above average 21 inch clearing width and a 13 inch high snow cut depth so you are always prepared for the heaviest snow fall. And it is designed to be as durable as possible.
- High emissions; not CARB compliant.
- The manual chute handle is difficult to use.
- There is significant snow kickback.
- Gas tank only holds enough for about an hour.
- Vibrations tend to loosen bolts and screws.
While the Poulan Pro PR621 is not CARB compliant and the gas tank is not very fuel efficient, this is in part due to the fact that the snow blower is built like a tank. Most of the other drawbacks either do not seriously affect performance or else are fairly easy to work around.
The Poulan Pro PR621 is the kind of durable, powerful snow blower that you need if you have a fairly large driveway and live in a region that typically experiences a number of relatively heavy snow storms over the course of the winter. This machine has a powerful engine that will allow you to clear up to 1100 pounds of snow per minute. Its extra wide 21 inch clearance means you can clear your driveway more efficiently and quickly than ever, and the snow blower has the kind of super high 13 inch snow cut depth that will ensure you are always prepared to deal with whatever kind of heavy snow fall winter can throw your way. The manufacturing of the Poulan Pro PR621 was done with some of the most durable materials you can ask for on a single stage snow blower, and its welded steel and ball bearing reinforced parts will be able to hold up against wear and tear over the long term.
The Poulan Pro PR621 has one of the higher price tags for a snow blower of its size and clearance width, but before you decide that it is an overpriced machine, I think it is important to consider what the machine has to offer. Importantly, it is made from far more durable materials than many other single stage snow blowers, which means that it will hold up over the long term without needing repair or replacement. As a general rule, you get what you pay for, and the extra expense of the Poulan Pro PR621 may be worth it in years to come, and lead to future savings.
Poulan Pro PR621