Power Smart DB5003 Review
Power Smart DB5003
|(Rated: 4.2 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Electric Snow Blower, Best Snow Blower, Electric Snow Blower Reviews, Power Smart, Power Smart Snow Blowers, Snow Blower Reviews,|
Power Smart is a company that does one thing much better than just about anybody else out there – and that is make extremely high quality electric yard machines that can compete with gas powered ones. Power Smart snow blowers are a great example of this. They are compact, well designed machines that have the kind of excellent snow removal capacities that can clear an entire driveway of heavy snow fall more quickly than ever. Best of all, Power Smart understands that not all driveways are alike, and so it has a wide range of models to choose from. Some are bigger and have extra wide clearances, but if you do not have a particularly large driveway or live in a region that gets very heavy snow fall, they might not be best for you. If that is the case, then the Power Smart DB5003 – a compact snow blower designed for smaller jobs – might be just the thing you need.
You do not always need a very big snow blower to keep your property clear of snow fall during the winter. There are plenty of regions in the United States that get some snow during the winter, but not so much that a giant snow blower is a reasonable purchase. And if you do not have a particularly big driveway to keep clear of snow, or if you only have to take care of sidewalks, then an extra wide clearance is not going to be the most efficient option.
In either case, a compact snow blower like the Power Smart DB5003 is going to be the best bet for your circumstances. The Power Smart DB5003 is specifically designed to take care of smaller jobs where a big, bulky snow blower would not work as well. It is perfect for removing snow from steps, walkways, decks and smaller driveways. It has a nine amp motor that allows it to throw a solid amount of snow a fair distance away. And because it is powered by electricity, not gas, it is cheaper to operate and never produces any carbon emissions when you are using it. This snow blower is a great alternative to shoveling.
The Power Smart DB5003 is a compact single stage electric snow blower that weighs just 26 pounds and has overall dimensions of 43 x 17 x 35 inches. Its nine amp motor provides enough power to move up to 400 pounds of snow per minute, and it can throw that snow up to twenty feet away.
|Dimensions||43 x 17 x 35 inches|
|Clearing Width||13 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||6 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 400 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 20 feet|
|Chute Control||Handle 60°|
The Power Smart DB5003 has a clearing width of 13 inches, perfect for stairs or walkways. It has a snow cut depth of six inches, which in many regions is all you need to keep your sidewalks clear all winter long. Its snow chute rotates 60 degrees. The Power Smart DB5003 comes with a one year warranty.
If you just have a couple of short walkways and maybe a deck to keep clear of snow, or if your driveway is not particularly long or wide, you have probably been getting the job done for a long time with just a shovel. Snow blowers probably seemed to be too big and bulky to be worth the expense, especially if you do not live in a region that gets a whole lot of snow during the winter. But the fact is, the Power Smart DB5003 is an excellent alternative to shoveling that is compact, efficient, and reasonably priced.
The Power Smart DB5003 is the perfect snow blower for taking care of smaller areas, especially if you live in a region that rarely gets more than a few inches of snow at once. It has everything you need to keep your driveway, walkways and decks clear of snow – without any of the drawbacks that bigger, bulkier snow blowers have. The Power Smart DB5003 runs on electricity, so you won’t have to spend any money on expensive gas to run it, and you won’t be producing any environmentally-unfriendly carbon emissions while you are using it.
The Power Smart DB5003 is light enough – at just 26 pounds – that you will have no trouble lifting it to clear steps or taking it up to your deck and back down again. It has a clearance width that is perfect for removing snow from narrow walkways – a task that bigger snow blowers just won’t be able to do. It can remove an impressive amount of snow per minute, and it can definitely move more than you could do with just a shovel. Best of all, the Power Smart DB5003 is one of the most competitively priced snow blowers on the market today – so even if you’re on a budget it should be affordable.
For the right circumstances, the Power Smart DB5003 really is the perfect snow blower. It is a step above electric snow shovels, but is not quite so big that it will be difficult to maneuver or find storage space for, unlike many other single stage snow blowers. It never produces any carbon emissions, and it is cheap to operate. Plus, this is a snow blower that is built from high quality parts, so you know it is going to last.
- Zero carbon emissions : One of the best parts about the Power Smart DB5003 is the fact that it will never produce any carbon emissions when you use it. Because it runs on electricity, it is much cleaner and more environmentally friendly than gas powered snow blowers are. And these days, that is an important consideration: small yard machines are responsible for a lot of the pollution American households produce. With the Power Smart DB5003, you won’t be producing any.
- Lightweight and compact : The Power Smart DB5003 is a very light snow blower – at just 26 pounds, it is light enough for just about anyone to pick up easily. That means you will be able to lift it over the curb with no trouble, and if you are clearing your porch steps, you can lift it from one to the next very easily as well. The Power Smart DB5003 is also very compact, which means it will be easier to find space for it in your garage or tool shed.
- Built to last : You want to be sure that your snow blower is going to last for many winters to come, and that means that it has to be made from durable materials. The Power Smart DB5003 has an auger and body that are made from reinforced, impact resistant composite plastic. The 9 amp motor on the Power Smart DB5003 will also be able to provide reliable power for hundreds of hours without burning out or needing repairs. This snow blower is built tough.
- Perfect for small areas : If you do not have a broad expanse of driveway stretching away from your garage, there is no reason to get a snow blower with a giant clearance that also has a huge footprint. The Power Smart DB5003 is designed to be used in smaller areas, like garden paths and front walkways, as well as patios and smaller driveways. It can fit into spaces that a bigger snow blower wouldn’t be able to take care of.
- Great alternative to shoveling : While you may not need a huge snow blower to get the job done, you certainly do not want to be shoveling your walk for the rest of the winter, either. The Power Smart DB5003 offers a great alternative to using a shovel to get the job done. It is perfect for clearing out areas that you may have thought a snow blower would not be ideal for, and that way you can hang up your shovel for good.
As you can see, for the right conditions the Power Smart DB5003 is the perfect snow blower. It is designed to deal with light snow fall in smaller areas more quickly and efficiently than you could with just a shovel. But it also is not so big or bulky that it will be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces or find storage space for in your garage or tool shed. Overall, I’d say it really has a lot to offer.
Due to the fact that it is designed with a particular set of circumstances in mind, there are definitely limitations to what the Power Smart DB5003 is able to do. It is not the kind of snow blower that should be used to clear deep drifts of snow or clear out a big area. Still, if it is used under the right conditions, it will perform just fine. As a result these Cons are mostly limitations due to its design than real flaws.
- Snow cut depth is short : The Power Smart DB5003 is not meant to be used in regions that experience fairly heavy snow fall, like the Great Lakes or the New England states. Because it has a snow cut depth that is only six inches high, it is perfect for areas that do not get a whole lot of snow fall during the winter. So don’t get it if you expect heavy blizzards. But for clearing light snow fall, the Power Smart DB5003 is just about perfect.
- Not much clearance width : Because the Power Smart DB5003 is designed for use in smaller areas and tight spaces, it does not have the kind of wider clearance that other single stage snow blowers have. But at 13 inches, it will be able to clear a walkway in a single pass, and it can handle small driveways and decks just fine. It is also perfect for stairs, which is something a wider snow blower would not be able to handle.
- Has difficulty with wet snow : Plenty of single stage snow blowers tend to struggle with wet, slushy snow, and the Power Smart DB5003 is no exception to this. But because of its design, you can angle the snow chute to throw wet snow to the front of the machine if you find it is having difficulty. That way, you can move it forward with you as you clear a path, which should work just fine, although it will be slow going.
- Chute has limited rotation : The snow chute on the Power Smart DB5003 only rotates 60 degrees. If you are clearing steps or a walkway, this is just fine, especially since it can throw snow up to 20 feet away. But for a driveway it may not be quite enough of an angle – in that situation, a snow chute rotation of 180 degrees would be ideal. Still, for use on smaller areas, which is what the Power Smart DB5003 is designed for, 60 degrees is plenty.
- May leave a layer behind : Like a lot of single stage snow blowers, the Power Smart DB5003 does not come equipped with a scraper bar. This means that it may wind up leaving a thin layer of snow behind as you use it. There is a pretty simple solution to this problem, though: just put down a layer of rock salt after you are done clearing the deeper snow and it should get whatever is left behind melted away in an hour or so.
As you can see, the Cons listed here do not really say anything about problems in the design or manufacture of the Power Smart DB5003, because overall it is a well made snow blower for the right conditions. But because it has a specific use, there are limitations to the kind of jobs it can take care of. If you live in a region that does not get heavy snow, the Power Smart DB5003 should perform just fine.
To get a real sense of whether a particular snow blower is a good purchase or not, I always think it is a great idea to do some comparison shopping, something savvy consumers probably already know all too well. This way, you can see how a given machine stacks up against the competition, and determine whether it or another model is best for your particular set of needs. The following table compares the Power Smart DB5003 to two other models.
|Dimensions||43 x 17 x 35 inches||41 x 16.5 x 34 inches||45 x 19 x 38 inches|
|Start||Button push||Button push||Button push|
|Motor||9 amp||11 amp||15 amp|
|Clearing Width||13 inches||14 inches||18 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||6 inches||9-1/2 inches||10 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 400 pounds||Up to 400 pounds||Up to 700 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 20 feet||Up to 20 feet||Up to 25 feet|
|Drive||Manual push||Manual push||Manual push|
|Chute Control||Handle 60°||Manual 180°||Handle 180°|
|Wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels|
|Weight||26 pounds||29 pounds||31.8 pounds|
|Warranty||1 year||2 years||2 years|
As you can see, the Power Smart DB5003 – unlike the MTD or Snow Joe – is designed to be used in regions that experience very light snow fall, and it has a narrower clearance that is better for use on garden paths and porch stairs. The other two models are a bit too big and bulky to be easily used to clear stairs or narrow walkways: but for these jobs, the Power Smart DB5003 is perfect.
Under the right conditions, the Power Smart DB5003 is the perfect snow blower. It is designed specifically to be used in areas that get light snow fall and to clear tight spaces. But to be sure this is the one for you, let’s take one more look at the Pros and Cons lists.
- Zero carbon emissions.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Built to last.
- Perfect for small areas.
- Great alternative to shoveling.
The Power Smart DB5003 will never produce any carbon emissions when you use it, and it is one of the lightest and most compact snow blowers you can find today. If you have a small area to keep clear and don’t expect heavy snow accumulation this winter, it’s a great alternative to using a shovel.
- Snow cut depth is short.
- Not much clearance width.
- Has difficulty with wet snow.
- Chute has limited rotation.
- May leave a layer behind.
The Cons associated with the Power Smart DB5003 are really just limitations that indicate what it is intended to be used for. This is not a model that is meant to tackle serious snow fall or be used to clear big driveways or unpaved areas. But under the right conditions, it can be the perfect snow blower.
A big, bulky snow blower does not make a whole lot of sense if you do not have a large driveway or live in a region that experiences particularly heavy snow fall during the winter. But even if you have a short walkway and deck to keep clear and only get moderately heavy snow storms, using a shovel can be a lot of work; and the Power Smart DB5003 is the perfect alternative to both big snow blowers and manually clearing snow.
The Power Smart DB5003 is designed specifically for clearing light snow fall from smaller areas quickly and efficiently, and it does that very well. It has everything you need to take care of up to six inches of accumulation – which can help you get your property clear of snow faster than you could with just a shovel. But it also is not so big and bulky that it will be hard to use or store.
Best of all, the Power Smart DB5003 has one of the most competitive prices I have ever seen on a single stage snow blower. Of course, this is in part because it is so compact – but if you have the right conditions for a compact snow blower, the Power Smart DB5003 can save you hundreds of dollars that would only go to waste on a bigger model. What’s so great about the price on the Power Smart DB5003 is the fact that you can get all of the convenience of a snow blower and hang your shovel up for good without shelling out on the kind of expensive prices other single stage snow blowers demand. It’s a great buy.
Power Smart DB5003