Power Smart DB6902 Review
Power Smart DB6902
|(Rated: 3.6 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Gas Lawn Mower, Best Lawn Mower, Gas Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Gas Lawn Mower Reviews, Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Lawn Mower Reviews, Power Smart, Power Smart Lawn Mowers, Walk-Behind Mower Buying Guide,|
There are a lot of different walk behind lawn mowers you could choose from when you are shopping for a new one, so it is important to consider what you need in one. If you have a moderately sized yard that is less than 1/2 an acre in size, a walk behind push mower is probably going to be sufficient to get the job done. You do not need to buy a riding mower to finish this kind of job. But you will want a mower that is dependable and has the kind of power necessary to get the job done reliably. You want a mower that is manufactured out of durable parts. You will want it to be powerful, with a wide cutting deck size, but also compact enough to store easily and light enough so that it is not too hard to maneuver. And you want options for greater convenience.
The Power Smart DB6902 is a great option from a trusted name in lawn mower quality. It has a 20 inch cutting deck, but still has compact enough dimensions and is lightweight enough that it will be easy to use and store in your garage or tool shed without taking up too much room. It has a 196 cubic centimeter engine that will provide reliable performance and keep the cutting deck running smoothly. And it has multiple grass clippings management options. And it offers all of this at a reasonable price.
The Power Smart DB6902 has a number of excellent features that make it a great option for the homeowner who has less than a half acre of grass to cut. If you are looking for a walk behind gas powered lawn mower that has a big cutting deck but is still lightweight and compact, this might be the one for you. It has a 20 inch wide cutting deck, which places it on the higher end of cutting deck size for walk behind mowers. And it has a 196cc engine that is designed to provide the kind of performance necessary to power the deck through even tough jobs with denser grasses.
But even with all of that power and wide cutting deck, the Power Smart DB6902 is still compact and lightweight. It has dimensions of only 37.6 x 20.6 x 23.4 inches, which along with its convenient fold down handle make it easy to store away in your garage or tool shed without taking up too much space. And it weighs only 66 pounds, which is rather light for a walk behind power mower. That means it will be easy to maneuver around your lawn, even if you have a slight build or are a senior citizen.
In terms of options, the Power Smart DB6902 has a lot of them. It has three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price. You can go with the basic side discharge option. Or you can engage the mulching plug to chop your clippings into fine pieces that will break down into your lawn and provide valuable nitrogen and other nutrients to keep it looking and feeling healthy. Or you can attach the rear bag for collecting grass clippings for later disposal or composting. The mower also has ten height options between 1.5 and 3.5 inches, which is far more than most lawn mowers have. The height is adjusted easily using a convenient single lever for all four wheels.
If you do not have a yard with particularly tough grass types such as St Augustine or Bermuda grass – and most homeowners in the Midwest and Northeast have Kentucky bluegrass or Fine Fescue instead – then this is a great lawn mower for small yards. And even with all of its great features, the Power Smart DB6902 is still very competitively priced, which means it should be quite affordable for most of us.
The Power Smart DB6902 has dimensions of 37.6 x 20.6 x 23.4 inches, which makes it relatively compact for a gas powered walk behind mower. It has a powerful 196 cubic centimeter engine that is designed to provide reliable power to the cutting deck with minimal maintenance for a long time to come. The gas tank holds about a quarter of a gallon, which is enough to take care of most moderately sized yards without refueling. The engine is started using a recoil starter cord. The mower has a cutting deck that is 20 inches wide, which places it on the wider end of the range of what is available for walk behind mowers these days. The cutting deck is designed in a deep dome shape, which along with the sharp, sturdy blade makes it better equipped for mulching. The mower weighs just 66 pounds, which makes it easier to maneuver, particularly if you have a slight build or are an older person.
|Dimensions||37.6 x 20.6 x 23.4 inches|
|Engine Specs||196-cc Engine|
|Gas Tank||0.24 Galons|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Drive System||Manual Push|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (10 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 3-1/2-inch|
|Wheel Size||6-inch front / 8-inch rear|
The mower has three grass clipping management options, including discharging grass out the side, collecting it in a rear bag assembly for later disposal or composting, or engaging a mulching plug so that the mower dices clippings into smaller pieces that will break down more easily into your lawn and add vital nutrients to the soil. The mower is operated by manually pushing it, but it is light enough that this is not difficult to do. It has a full ten height positions between 1.5 and 3.5 inches. The height of all four wheels is controlled by a single lever that is easy to operate. The front wheels are 6 inches tall and the rear wheels are 8 inches tall. Power Smart provides a limited two year consumer warranty on the DB6902.
The Power Smart DB6902 is a gas powered walk behind push mower that is designed for residential use on lawns that are smaller than 1/2 an acre. It is equipped with a 196 cubic centimeter engine that is designed to provide the kind of reliable power that will keep it performing well with minimal maintenance for many years to come. The engine is a super efficient, four stroke model with a recoil start. The engine is started by first priming it and then pulling a recoil starter cord. It has a gas tank that holds about a quarter of a gallon, which is more than enough to fuel the mower for most jobs without refilling it.
The mower features a big 20 inch wide cutting deck. That places it on the larger end of cutting deck widths for walk behind mowers. Bigger cutting decks allow you to finish cutting your lawn in fewer passes, which will save you time and have you back to enjoying your weekend before you know it. The cutting deck has a unique deep dome design that along with its sharp, durable cutting blades is able to ensure that grass clippings are mulched finer than ever when the mulching plug is engaged.
Even with its large cutting deck and powerful 196cc engine, the Power Smart DB6902 is still a compact and lightweight mower. It has dimensions of only 37.6 x 20.6 x 23.4 inches. Along with its convenient fold down handle, the mower is compact enough to be easily stored in your garage or tool shed without taking up too much room, and it can even fit underneath a workbench or on a lower shelf. And the mower weighs a mere 66 pounds. As walk behind power mowers go, that is really light. It is light enough that even persons with smaller frames, teenagers, or older persons will be able to maneuver it around the lawn with ease.
There are a number of convenient options included in this mower. For example. The Power Smart DB6902 has no less than ten height options for the cutting deck ranging from 1.5 to 3.5 inches. Having height options is important because you should always be cutting your grass at an optimal height to keep it healthy and looking good. The optimal height will never be less than 1/3 of the original height of the lawn. As grass grows at variable rates, you will not always be able to cut it at the same height, so options are important. Having this many options is rare, though: in most mowers there are no more than eight options at the very most.
You also have three grass clippings management options included right out of the box with the Power Smart DB6902. You can use the basic side discharge option, which will distribute your grass clippings in even rows on the lawn, where they will break down at a moderate rate. Or you can engage the mulching plug, which will cause the mower to chop the clippings into much finer pieces that will break down into your lawn much more quickly. This allows clippings to return important nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus to the soil, which will greatly reduce the need for synthetic fertilizers, saving you time and money over the long run. Finally you have the option to attach a rear bag assembly for collecting grass clippings for later disposal or addition to your compost pile. The rear bag has a fifteen gallon capacity, which is more than enough for up to a half an acre of grass clippings.
Overall, the Power Smart DB6902 is a good walk behind gas powered mower for residential level jobs. It is perfect for small yards that are less than a half an acre in size. It is powerful enough to handle these kinds of jobs for a long time to come, and it is compact and light enough that almost anyone can maneuver it. As I will discuss in a later section, the Power Smart DB6902 is not ideal for yards with tougher grass varieties such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass. If you have a small enough yard, tougher grasses will not prove to be too problematic, but this is something you should nevertheless keep in mind. The Power Smart DB6902 does just fine with yards that are planted with Kentucky bluegrass or Fine Fescue.
The mower is competitively priced so that most homeowners will find it is more than affordable. It comes with a limited two year consumer warranty.
There are a number of great reasons that make buying a gas powered walk behind mower the right choice for homeowners with yards that are smaller than 1/2 an acre. These mowers have the kind of power necessary to tackle difficult jobs with dense grass without getting bogged down or breaking. They are not as heavy as battery powered walk behind mowers, and they have a farther range than plug in electric mowers. The Power Smart DB6902 has a number of excellent features that make it a great purchase. It has a wide cutting deck that reduces the amount of time and energy needed to finish the job. It is compact and lightweight for easier maneuverability and storage. It has three grass management options included right out of the box. The mower starts up easily every time. And the mower is competitively priced to make it very affordable to the majority of households.
- 20 inch wide cutting deck for more efficiency : At twenty inches, the Power Smart DB6902 has one of the widest cutting decks of any walk behind mower. Wider cutting decks allow you to cut your lawn in fewer passes, which will save you time and have you back to relaxing with your family and enjoying the weekend before you even know it. In addition, the cutting deck has a unique dome shaped design that along with the durable, sharp cutting blades allows the mower to provide an even finer mulch when the mulching plug is engaged than other lawn mowers can. That will help grass clippings break down more quickly into your lawn, distributing important nutrients and keeping your lawn looking great all year round.
- Compact and lightweight for easier maneuverability and storage : Even with its wide cutting deck, the Power Smart DB6902 is still a very compact and lightweight machine. It has overall dimensions of just 37.6 x 20.6 x 23.4 inches, which means it will be more maneuverable in tight spaces, easier to navigate close to trees and garden beds, and easier to store in your garage or tool shed. The mower’s handle folds down so that storage is even more convenient; you can even store it under a work bench or on a lower shelf in your storage space. And the mower weighs only 66 pounds, which is extremely light for a powered walk behind mower. Its light weight means that just about anyone will be able to maneuver it around the yard with ease – even people with slight builds, teenagers, or older persons.
- Three grass clippings management options included : It is not always the case that lawn mowers include multiple grass clippings management options right out of the box. If they offer them at all, they often call them accessories and charge extra for them. But the Power Smart DB6902 has three options included in the initial purchase price. You can go with the basic side discharge option, which will spread clippings out in even rows on your lawn, where they will eventually decompose. Or you can engage the mulching plug, which will cause the mower to chop grass clippings into fine pieces that break down even more quickly into your lawn. Or you can attach the rear bag to collect grass clippings for later disposal or compost.
- Starter cord is easy to use : One of the main drawbacks associated with gas powered mowers is the difficulty of startup. Users often find themselves repeatedly yanking on a heavy starter cord to no avail, filling their yard with fumes without getting the engine running. But the Power Smart DB6902 has an easy to use starter cord that will let you get the engine going the first time, every time. This is especially important if you are older or do not think you have the kind of strength necessary to operate a heavier starter cord. With just one or two pulls, the Power Smart DB6902 will start right up, saving you time, frustration, and potential back pain in the long run.
- The mower has a competitive price and is very affordable : The price tag on the Power Smart DB6902 is perhaps one of its most appealing features. Even with its powerful 196cc engine, large 20 inch cutting deck size, and great features like compact design and multiple grass management and cutting deck height options, this mower still is competitively priced. That means you can get a big, easy to use, gas powered walk behind mower for your yard without spending more money than you want to. This will allow you to save the lion’s share of your gardening budget for things you want – like more fertilizer, new tools, more flowers or vegetables. And you will still have a good lawn mower, even with the very reasonable price.
In addition to all of these great features, the Power Smart DB6902 has a limited two year consumer warranty designed to protect you against malfunctioning or broken parts. Because it is such a compact and lightweight machine, it is fairly easy for anyone to operate and does not take up a lot of space in your garage or tool shed. But it has a big enough cutting deck to reduce the amount of time and effort you have to spend on lawn maintenance. It has lots of great features like a reliable starter cord. And it has multiple options in terms of cutting deck height adjustment and three grass management options included right out of the box. Add to all of those features the competitive price, and you can see why so many people prefer Power Smart lawn mowers like this one.
Even with all of these great features, we all know that there is no such thing as a perfect consumer product, and so it is important to take stock of the areas in which the Power Smart DB6902 is lacking. I recommend weighing these cons individually against all of the pros the mower has to offer, and consider whether any of them are red flags that outweigh the pros. You should also consider all of the cons against all of the pros to get a complete sense of what this mower can and cannot do. The drawbacks include the fact that the mower is quite loud, the mower tends to overheat when the cutting deck is set to higher speeds, the screw holding the center blade on tends to loosen, and the mower does not handle tougher grass very well. The mower’s gas tank is also on the smaller side, so it may need refueling if you are cutting close to 1/2 an acre while engaging the cutting deck at higher speeds. Let’s look at each of these in more detail.
- The mower is particularly loud : Noise is a drawback of any gas powered mower, and while the Power Smart DB6902 is no exception in this regard, it also is a bit louder than one would like. It is not quite so loud that you will need ear protection in order to operate it. But it is loud enough that you will risk disturbing your neighbors if you decide to cut your lawn at the wrong time of day. There isn’t really any fix for this, so be prepared for the fact that this mower will be making quite a racket when you use it. I do not recommend using the Power Smart DB6902 early in the morning when your neighbors might still be waking up.
- Mower heats up when the cutting deck is set to high speeds : The Power Smart DB6902 has a range of speeds for the cutting blade, ranging from turtle (for slow) to bunny rabbit (for fastest). This is useful when you are opting to engage the mulching option and want the blade to run faster, or if you are cutting dense grass and want the blade to run slower. But if you do run the mower on the fastest cutting blade speed, be prepared for the fact that it may heat up very quickly, and can even overheat. If you monitor the lawn mower while you are using it to make sure it is not overheating, you should be able to avoid this problem. I also do not recommend running the Power Smart DB6902 at its highest cutting blade speed for extended periods of time.
- The screw attaching the cutting blade to the deck tends to loosen : This can be a rather serious problem if you do not keep an eye on it. While there is not any danger of the cutting blade flying off the cutting deck and injuring anyone or breaking altogether, the screw can still get loose after repeated use, which can cause the cutting blade to become loose while the mower is in operation. A simple way to avoid this is to check the screw every time before you begin cutting your lawn, but this can be a bit of a hassle. If you do decide to purchase this lawn mower, I recommend that you check the screw every time to avoid accidents.
- The mower does not handle tougher grass very well : Even with its 196cc engine and sharp, durable blade, the Power Smart DB6902 has trouble cutting tougher varieties of grass very well, and you may have to run the cutting deck at slower speeds to tackle lawns with tough grass. Some examples of tougher grasses include St. Augustine and Bermuda grass. These varieties typically grow in the Southern United States, in Florida, and along the Carolina coastline. If you live in the Northeast, the Midwest or the Pacific Northwest, you probably have Kentucky bluegrass or Fine Fescue in your backyard, and the Power Smart DB6902 should have no problem tackling these varieties. If you do not know what kind of grass you have in your yard, I recommend finding out before you purchase a new lawn mower.
- The gas tank on the mower is somewhat small : The gas tank on the Power Smart DB6902 holds slightly less than a quarter of a gallon. While this is typically enough for most smaller yards, it may not be quite enough to power the mower on yards that approach 1/2 an acre in size without refueling. This will particularly be the case if you are running the mower through dense grasses or if you are running the cutting deck at its highest speed. If you do not mind refueling your mower while you are mid-job, then this will not be too much of a problem. But I recommend avoiding running the mower on fumes too often, as this can clog fuel lines and cause the engine to need more maintenance.
In a lawn mower that is designed to have a wide cutting deck, powerful engine, and still have a very affordable price, there are always going to be areas where it is less than perfect. Some of the cons on the Power Smart DB6902 are design choices, such as the noise factor and the small gas tank. Others are more serious problems that will require more maintenance or care be applied to the mower, such as the overheating on high speeds or the fact that the screw on the cutting blade tends to loosen upon repeated use. If you do not think that any of these cons outweigh the pros I detailed above, then you should still go ahead and consider purchasing it. But if any of them seem too important to outweigh the pros, you may want to look at a different model.
It is always a very good practice to look at several similar products when you are considering what to buy. In this way you can get a more complete picture of what is on the market and a better idea of how a given product stacks up against the competition. In addition to understanding the pros and cons of a given machine, you can get a better understanding of what pros and cons are unique to it and which ones are common across similar machines. You will also have a more complete picture of the kinds of specifications different mowers offer in tandem, so that you can see where certain mowers have strengths or weaknesses. In order to help you make this kind of comparison more easily, I have provided a comparison table below. It compares the specs on the Power Smart DB6902 to those on the Husqvarna 7021R and the Poulan Pro PR160Y21RDP. Let’s take a look at what each one has to offer.
|Dimensions||37.6 x 20.6 x 23.4 inches||40.2 x 23.8 x 25.2 inches||36.1 x 21.4 x 24.2 inches|
|Engine Specs||196-cc Engine||GCV160|
|Gas Tank||0.24 Galons||0.24 Galons||0.4 Galons|
|Deck Size (cutting swath)||20-inch||21-inch||21-inch|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Drive System||Manual Push||Self-Propelled Motor||Self-Propelled Motor|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (10 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)||Single point (5 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 3-1/2-inch||1-1/2- to 3-1/2-inch||1-1/4- to 3-1/2-inch|
|Wheel Size||6-inch front / 8-inch rear||8-inch front / 8-inch rear||8-inch front / 8-inch rear|
|Weight||66 pounds||100 pounds||95 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
As you can see, the Power Smart DB6902 has slightly smaller total dimensions than either the Husqvarna 7021R or the Poulan Pro PR160Y21RDP. At the same time, both the Husqvarna and the Poulan Pro have slightly larger deck sizes, at 21 inches each. This places all three mowers on the high end of cutting deck size. The Power Smart DB6902 has a larger engine than either the Husqvarna or the Poulan Pro. The Power Smart DB6902’s engine is 196 cubic centimeters, while the Poulan Pro and the Husqvarna both have engines that are 166 cc’s.
The Poulan Pro has the biggest gas tank, as it holds 0.4 gallons, while both the Power Smart and the Husqvarna have engines that hold only 0.24 gallons. That means the Poulan Pro may be better equipped to handle lawns that are a bit larger without needing refueling. All three mowers have recoil starters, and all three mowers also have multiple grass management options. The Power Smart DB6902 has the most height options of the three mowers, at ten. The Husqvarna has 6 positions and the Poulan Pro has only 5. While the Power Smart DB6902 is a manual push mower, both of the other two mowers are self propelled. Whether you want a self propelled mower is largely a matter of personal choice; some people prefer them while others find they are difficult to operate. The Power Smart DB6902 is the lightest of the three mowers, weighing only 66 pounds, which will make it easier to maneuver. All three mowers offer a two year limited consumer warranty.
The Power Smart DB6902 is a great machine for maintaining lawns in smaller spaces. For lawns that are less than 1/2 an acre in size, buying a riding mower does not make any sense, but you will still want to purchase a machine that can get the job done efficiently and easily. Gas powered walk behind mowers remain one of the most popular choices among American homeowners. This is mostly due to the fact that they offer the kind of power necessary to drive big cutting decks. In addition they are easier to operate and have a longer range than electric or battery powered walk behind mowers do. The Power Smart DB6902 has a number of features that make it a very convenient lawn mower for small residential lawns, but it also has a few drawbacks that are important to take into consideration before you decide to make a final purchase. Let’s review each of them in turn.
- The mower has a 20 inch wide cutting deck for more efficiency.
- The mower is compact and lightweight for easier maneuverability and storage.
- It has three grass clippings management options included.
- The mower has a starter cord that is easy to use.
- The mower has a very competitive price and is very affordable.
At twenty inches, the Power Smart DB6902 has one of the widest cutting deck sizes available in walk behind mowers today. A wider cutting deck is important in terms of efficiency: wider cutting decks allow you to finish mowing your lawn in fewer passes, which means you will be saving time in the long run and back to enjoying your weekend with your family sooner. In spite of its wide cutting deck, the mower is still very compact and lightweight. That will allow you to store it more easily in your garage or tool shed – especially because the handle folds down for convenient storage underneath a work bench or on a lower shelf.
The Power Smart DB6902 has three grass management options included right out of the box, which is not always the case for affordable lawn mowers. You can opt to discharge clippings out the side of the mower, or you can engage the mulching plug to cut the grass into fine pieces that will break down into the soil and provide valuable nutrients to keep your lawn looking beautiful all summer long. And you can attach the rear bag assembly to collect up to 15 gallons worth of grass clippings for later disposal or composting. The mower has a starter cord that is easier to use than those on most gas powered mowers, which will save you time and frustration. And finally, the Power Smart DB6902 is priced very competitively so that it remains affordable to the majority of households.
- The mower is particularly loud, even for a gas powered machine.
- The mower tends to heat up when the cutting deck is set to high speeds.
- The screw that attaches the cutting blade to the deck can loosen.
- The mower does not handle tougher grass very well.
- The gas tank on the mower is somewhat small and may need refueling on big jobs.
Some of these cons are more serious than others, but they should all be taken into consideration before you decide whether this is the right mower for you. You do not want to be dazzled by the mower’s low price only to find that the areas where it is lacking make it less than perfect for your lawn care needs. The Power Smart DB6902 is a very loud mower, which means you will not be able to operate it whenever you please without worrying about waking up or disturbing your neighbors. And when the cutting deck is engaged at its maximum speed, it tends to overheat, which can prove problematic to the point that there is a risk of the engine breaking down altogether if this is done repeatedly for long stretches of time.
The screw that attaches the cutting blade to the deck has been known to loosen periodically, which can cause the blade to disengage while the mower is in use. This can result in a damaged blade, so you should be careful to check the screw every time you use the mower to make sure it is tight. The Power Smart DB6902 is not designed to handle tougher grasses like St. Augustine or Bermuda grass well, especially when the cutting deck is set to the highest speed, so if you have these varieties in your yard, you may want to buy a more durable mower. And the gas tank on the mower is only 0.24 gallons, which means it will not hold enough fuel for yards that approach 1/2 an acre in size.
The Power Smart DB6902 is a great walk behind push mower for yards that are smaller than 1/2 an acre. It features a powerful 196 cubic centimeter engine and a large twenty inch wide cutting deck. That makes this mower’s cutting deck one of the widest you can find in a push mower these days. These two features alone are great features that make this lawn mower powerful and efficient enough to cut your lawn quickly and without any trouble. But this mower has a number of other great features that make it stand out as well.
It is compact and lightweight enough that it is easy to maneuver, even if you have a slight build or are an older person who is not used to pushing a heavy mower around your yard. And it is so compact that you will barely notice that it’s in your garage. The handle also folds down so that you can store it underneath a work bench or on a lower shelf. The mower has lots of convenient options, like ten cutting deck height settings that are all controlled by a single lever and three grass clippings management options included right out of the box. It has an easy to use starter cord and a great price.
The Power Smart DB6902 is one of the more affordable gas powered walk behind lawn mowers in its class. It is not easy to find a walk behind mower with a powerful 196cc engine and a twenty inch wide cutting deck that is still competitively priced. It is equally rare to find one that has a great price and numerous options such as ten deck heights and three grass management options. That said, it does seem that Power Smart may have skimped on some manufacturing and design areas. This shows in terms of the cons associated with this mower. The engine runs rather loud and can be prone to overheat, and the mower has a rather small gas tank. You should keep these and the other cons in mind when you are looking at the low price tag on this machine, and carefully consider whether it is the right mower for you.
Power Smart DB6902