Greenworks 25292 Review
Exclusive Offer Greenworks 25292
We've secured an exclusive offer for our readers.Click the button below to see the details.
Offer expires in 23:59:59
|(Rated: 4.7 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Electric Lawn Mower, Best Lawn Mower, Electric Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Electric Lawn Mower Reviews, Greenworks, Greenworks Lawn Mowers, Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Lawn Mower Reviews, Walk-Behind Mower Buying Guide,|
A battery powered electric lawn mower can offer a number of excellent benefits. These mowers run virtually silently as compared to gas powered lawn mowers, and they produce far fewer emissions than gas mowers. At the point of use, electric mowers produce zero emissions, and they can often run on cleaner sources of energy than fossil fuels altogether. Battery powered lawn mowers allow the user to cut their lawn without being tethered to a power outlet, which increases their range considerably. And with a battery powered lawn mower, you don’t have to worry about the hassles of dealing with tangled cords or accidentally running over power cords that are hidden in tall grass.
The Greenworks 25292 offers all of these advantages and more. It is one of the few battery powered mowers that runs on a lithium ion power pack, as opposed to the traditional lead acid battery. That means it will be easy to charge much more quickly, and it will be able to power the mower for longer periods of time and cut bigger areas of grass. With this mower, you do not risk losing the power or performance of a gas powered or plug in mower, and you also enjoy all of the benefits of a quiet battery powered mower.
The Greenworks 25292 is a cordless electric lawn mower powered by a lithium ion battery. This state of the art battery charges in a fraction of the time it takes to charge a lead acid battery, and it is more powerful as well. The 40 volt lithium ion battery can power the Greenworks 25292 for up to a full hour, which is long enough to cut 1/2 an acre of grass, an area about the same size as half an NFL football field. The motor is powerful enough to support a 19 inch wide cutting deck, which is comparatively higher than the cutting decks available on most electric lawn mowers and comparable to the average deck on a gas powered mower as well. The mower is designed with convenience in mind, and the range of options and accessories it provides are evidence of this. I will cover all of these great features in more depth in the Pros section of the review.
There are a few areas in which the Greenworks 25292 is not quite perfect; it may struggle with taller or denser patches of grass, its rear bag tends to fill up fairly quickly, and it may miss the occasional blade of grass. I don’t think any of these issues are very serious, but I will cover each of them in some detail in the Cons section of the review. I’ll also provide a detailed product comparison section so that you can get a good idea of how the Greenworks 25292 stacks up against similar battery powered lawn mowers made by two of its competitors. In the final section, I will discuss why I think that even though the Greenworks 25292 is one of the more expensive battery powered lawn mowers available today, its price is well worth it.
The Greenworks 25292 is a cordless electric lawn mower with a 40 volt lithium ion battery. There are two batteries included in the initial purchase price. Each battery charges to full capacity in just three hours, which is faster than any other on the market today. The batteries have convenient dual LED light systems that show whether they are still charging or full, so you can avoid wasting electricity. When fully charged, the battery will power the Greenworks 25292 for up to a full hour. This is long enough to cut up to 1/2 an acre of grass, which is about the same area as half an NFL football field. The cutting deck on the Greenworks 25292 is 19 inches wide, which is above average for electric mowers and comparable to most cutting decks on gas powered lawn mowers.
|Dimensions||30.9 x 17.2 x 20.1 inches|
|Power||40V Removable Battery (Inc. 2 Li-Ion batteries)|
|Charge Time||3 Hours|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Cutting Area||up to 1/2 acre|
(conditions may vary)
|up to 60 Minutes|
|Starter||Key + Push button|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (6 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/4 to 3-1/8-inch|
|Wheel Size||7-inch front / 8-inch rear|
|Warranty||4 years on mower, 2 years on battery|
The drive system on the Greenworks 25292 is manual. The mower is started using a simple safety key and push lever, and once the battery is charged and inserted it starts right up every time. The mower has six height adjustment options for the cutting deck with a generous range from 1 1/4 to 3 1/8 inches, which allows you to pick the perfect height to keep your lawn looking its best every time. The cutting deck height is conveniently adjusted using a single lever at the rear wheel. The wheels on the Greenworks 25292 are 7 inches tall in the front and 8 inches tall in the rear. The mower weighs 49 pounds, making it one of the most lightweight of its class, and it has overall dimensions of 30.9 x 17.2 x 20.1 inches, making it more maneuverable and easier to store. It comes with a four year warranty, which is twice the industry standard, and a two year battery warranty.
The Greenworks 25292 is a cordless electric mower with an overall footprint of just 30.9 x 17.2 x 20.1 inches, making it fairly compact, especially considering the fact that it has a 19 inch wide cutting deck. This gives it a great combination for high efficiency: the cutting deck is one of the widest ones available on a cordless electric lawn mower, and is frankly comparable to most gas powered lawn mowers as well. But the small dimensions of the mower mean that it will be extremely maneuverable and very easy to find storage space for it in your garage or tool shed. A wider cutting deck is important because it allows you to finish cutting the lawn in fewer passes and less time, which means you can get back to enjoying the rest of your weekend with your family.
The batteries on the Greenworks 25292 are lithium ion, which is the current state of the art for cordless technology. Two of the main drawbacks to battery powered lawn mowers are that they take too long to get fully charged, and once they are charged, they drain very quickly. The lithium ion batteries on the Greenworks 25292 charge to full capacity in just 3 hours, and once they are fully charged, they can run the mower for up to sixty minutes. This means that you are not only freed from the power outlet with this mower, but you can also cover a lot more ground with it. The Greenworks 25292 can cut up to a half an acre on a single charge. That is more than enough to take care of average sized suburban lawns easily.
There are a number of other great features on the Greenworks 25292 that make it one of the top battery powered lawn mowers available today. It has convenient design and accessories that make the lawn mowing experience much more enjoyable. The mower comes equipped with three in one mowing capability, which means that in addition to the standard side discharge you can opt to mulch clippings for a healthier lawn or bag them for later disposal or composting. The cutting deck on the mower has a generous range and six height options from 1 1/4 to 3 1/8 inches so you can always pick the best option to keep your lawn healthy. And the mower is made of durable parts so that it will hold up to wear and tear over the long run.
The mower unfortunately does not quite overcome every one of the drawbacks that are typical to battery powered lawn mowers. Even with its powerful 40 volt motor and lithium ion batteries, it still may tend to have difficulties with very tall grass as well as thicker patches on the lawn and tougher varieties of grass. Even so, it can get through these kind of lawns, albeit a bit more slowly than one might like. Other issues, such as the fact that the rear bag may fill up quickly on bigger jobs, or that the mower occasionally misses errant stalks of grass, are not to difficult to deal with. Overall I don’t think there is any one issue that seriously affects the performance of the Greenworks 25292.
The Greenworks 25292 is one of the more expensive battery powered lawn mowers on the market today, which may be a turn off for some readers. But before you write it off as an overpriced mower, I think you should take a look at the Pros this mower offers. While it is on the higher end of the price range, it also comes with two state of the art batteries, and is designed to outperform just about any other cordless electric lawn mower on the market today. Along with its convenient accessories, ease of use, and overall durability and excellent design, I think the Greenworks 25292 is a great mower at a reasonable price.
When you are shopping for a new lawn mower, there are a number of important facets that you have to look at regardless of whether you are shopping for a gas powered, plug in electric or battery powered lawn mower. And when you are shopping for a battery powered lawn mower, there are a few other areas that are of specific concern. You want a battery powered lawn mower to have the kind of power pack that is easy to charge up as quickly as possible, and you want the charge to last as long as possible so that the mower can tackle big jobs with ease. On any lawn mower, the cutting deck width is probably the most important thing to consider, as it will most directly affect the mower’s efficiency and performance. Beyond that, two more important things to look at are how many mowing capabilities the mower provides in the initial purchase price and the number and range of cutting height options. You also want the mower to be made of durable, high quality parts that are going to hold up to wear and tear over the long run. In every one of these categories, the Greenworks 25292 is outstanding.
- Lithium ion batteries that last longer : The Greenworks 25292 comes with two lithium ion batteries that charge faster, are more powerful, and last longer than most other batteries available for electric lawn mowers today. The 40 volt lithium ion batteries charge to full capacity in just three hours, instead of twelve to fifteen hours on most batteries. And they hold enough charge to power the Greenworks 25292 for up to sixty minutes. That is enough charge to cut an area that is 1/2 an acre, or about half the size of an NFL football field. One of the main problems associated with battery powered lawn mowers is the fact that they often do not hold enough charge to cut bigger lawns, but with the Greenworks 25292 this problem is eliminated. And because the mower comes with an extra backup battery, you can cut even larger areas; all you have to do is swap one battery out for the other, which takes less than a minute, and you are ready to finish the job.
- Three in one mowing capabilities : The Greenworks 25292 comes with three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price, which sets it apart from a lot of other comparably priced battery powered lawn mowers. It is important to have options around what to do with your clippings, and all too often, manufacturers either do not provide extra mowing capabilities at all or else sell them separately as optional accessories. On the Greenworks 25292, you can choose between standard side discharge, which will leave grass clippings in neat rows on the lawn, or engage the mulching plug. This causes the cutting deck to chop grass clippings into tiny pieces that will break down more quickly into the soil, which is a great way to keep your lawn healthy and lustrous without resorting to chemical fertilizer. There is also the option to collect clippings in a rear bag for later disposal or composting. And all three options are included right out of the box.
- 19 inch wide cutting deck : A wide cutting deck is one of the most important considerations on a lawn mower, especially if you have a bigger lawn. That is because wider cutting decks allow you to finish cutting the lawn in fewer passes and without needing to overlap from one row to the next. This translates directly to less time spent on taking care of the lawn and more time spent relaxing and enjoying the remainder of your already short weekend. The cutting deck on the Greenworks 25292 is nineteen inches wide. This places it on the wider end of the spectrum for electric lawn mowers, and it also makes it comparable to most gas powered lawn mowers. A nineteen inch wide cutting deck affords you the benefits of finishing the job more quickly and efficiently and balances that with maneuverability and storage ability. The overall footprint of the Greenworks 25292 is just 30.9 x 17.2 x 20.1 inches, which means it won’t be difficult to find enough room for it in your garage or get it into tight corners of the yard.
- 6 cutting heights from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches : Another important feature to look at when you are shopping for a new lawn mower is the number and range of the cutting height options it provides. Lawn care experts agree that you should avoid cutting your lawn any shorter than a third of its original height. That’s because doing so can damage the individual blades and make the lawn more vulnerable to the effects of drought or heat waves. It also makes the lawn more susceptible to diseases like brown spot and invasions of weeds or crab grass. All of these are frustrating and potentially costly headaches that are easily avoided simply by cutting the lawn at the correct height. The cutting deck on the Greenworks 25292 has six cutting height options that range from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches. That is a wide enough range to allow you to cut the lawn at whatever schedule you want without having to worry that you are cutting it too short. And the cutting deck height is easily adjusted with a single lever for all four wheels.
- Durable steel parts that hold up to wear and tear : These days, a lot of lawn mowers are constructed with materials that are plastic polymers. These materials are cheap to produce, but they do not hold up to wear and tear the way you need, especially if you have bigger jobs. A lawn mower should have the kind of quality construction that will allow it to last for several years to tough jobs. The Greenworks 25292 has a stamped steel cutting deck that will be able to consistently deliver high quality performance without needing to be sharpened or replaced. It has big, durable wheels that are seven inches high in the front and eight inches high in the rear, which means they will be able to negotiate tough, uneven ground without losing maneuverability or stability. The rear bag is made of durable nylon fibers that are resistant to tears. The manufacturing and materials on the Greenworks 25292 are tough, and will last for a long time.
In just about every important area, the Greenworks 25292 hits the mark. When you are looking for a new lawn mower, considerations like three in one mowing capabilities and an extra wide cutting deck are universally essential. Cutting height options and durable construction are also critical to any mower’s ability to perform well. In a battery powered electric mower, you want the battery to charge to full capacity quickly and be able to power the mower for as long as possible. Providing high quality in any one of these areas is important, but the Greenworks 25292 delivers in every single one of them, which makes it one of the best battery powered lawn mowers available today. You can count on it to reliably perform over the long term, and you can be certain that you are not losing any power or ability as compared to plug in electric mowers or gas powered lawn mowers.
Of course, even though the Greenworks 25292 hits all of the important points, and does so very well, there are a few areas in which it is less than perfect. Some of these issues are endemic to battery powered and electric lawn mowers in general, while some are particular to the Greenworks 25292. IN spite of its 40 volt motor and lithium ion batteries, the mower may still have difficulties mowing tall grass easily. It also may not perform well when used to cut tough varieties of grass, and can get bogged down in dense patches of grass. These are all issues that are common to electric lawn mowers. Specific to the Greenworks 25292 are a couple of minor issues: the mower tends to miss occasional blades of grass, so you may find that you have to make multiple passes to get a perfectly even cut on the lawn. The rear bag on the mower tends to fill up quickly, and may have to be emptied in the middle of the job. Finally, the Greenworks 25292 is one of the more expensive mowers on the market today, which some consumers may find off-putting, although I do think the price is fair, considering what the mower has to offer.
- The mower may have difficulties with tall grass : This is a problem I have encountered on a lot of electric lawn mowers. If the grass is taller than six inches or so, the cutting decks on electric mowers tend to have difficulty cutting it. One of two things tends to happen: either the cutting deck gets slower, which means you have to push the mower much more slowly through the grass. Or, the cutting deck does not create enough updraft to get the individual blades of grass to stand up straight, in which case they just get pushed over and the mower misses them entirely. Fortunately, the Greenworks 25292 has the former problem, which means it is able to cut taller grass, provided the cutting deck is set to the highest setting. But you may find that the cutting deck gets slowed down by taller grass, which will require you to make multiple passes and spend more time on lawn chores.
- It may struggle to perform well on tougher or denser grass : This is the second problem that I see a lot on electric lawn mowers. In spite of the fact that the Greenworks 25292 has a powerful 40 volt motor and state of the art lithium ion batteries, it tends to suffer from this issue as well. If your lawn grows very densely, the batteries may wind up getting run down more quickly as they struggle to power the motor and cutting deck through it. This may also be the case if you have tougher varieties of grass such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass, both of which are more common in the Southern United States and the Southwest. The Greenworks 25292 is definitely able to deal with these varieties of grass, but as it does so, the cutting deck may overtax the motor, which in turn can drain the batteries faster. Fortunately the Greenworks 25292 comes with a backup battery included in the initial price, which can help mitigate this problem.
- The mower may require multiple passes to evenly cut the lawn : This is the first issue that is more specific to the Greenworks 25292 itself, although it certainly is not the only lawn mower I have seen that has this problem. Occasionally, the mower may miss individual blades of grass while you are cutting the lawn. It is not going to leave strips of uncut grass or patches that are missed entirely, of course, but the odd blade of grass might escape the cutting deck on the first pass. If you have a medium sized lawn that is about a half acre or less – which is the size of lawn the Greenworks 25292 is designed for – this will be a simple matter of “touching up” the blades the mower missed on the first pass. If you have a bigger lawn, this can become a bit of a chore rather quickly, though. While I do not think this is a serious issue, it’s important to be aware of it.
- The rear bag tends to fill up rather quickly : The rear bag on the Greenworks 25292 is the next problem area that is more specific to this mower, although like the previous Con it is not the first time I have seen it. The rear bag is situated at an optimal angle for the cutting deck to shoot clippings into it, which prevents it from getting clogged up (a common problem on lots of mower rear bags). But the bag could be a bit bigger, because it tends to fill up fairly quickly. If your lawn is on the smaller side and you do not let the grass get very long before you cut it, this should not present too much of a problem. But if you have a bigger lawn and produce a lot of grass clippings when you mow it, you may find that you have to empty the rear bag before you are finished mowing the lawn. Fortunately the bag is lightweight and easily detaches from the mower, so this isn’t hard to do.
- This is one of more expensive walk behind mowers : The Greenworks 25292 is one of the more expensive lawn mowers on the market today, which is an issue that may put off some of my more frugal readers. Of course, you can always go for a cheaper battery powered lawn mower, and if you have a smaller lawn with finer varieties of grass, you may not need to spend a lot of money on a big, tough lawn mower. If you have a small enough lawn you may not even need a battery powered lawn mower but could instead opt for a plug-in model. But if you have a medium sized lawn that approaches 1/2 an acre in size, and you want reliable power, a big cutting deck, and high quality, long lasting batteries, spending the extra money may well be worth it. The amount of time and effort a tough mower like this one can save you is invaluable. And the fact that the lithium ion batteries are more efficient and charge more quickly than lead acid batteries will save you money over the long term.
While I think it is very important to fully vet a new product so that you know exactly where it may not perform as well as it potentially could, I do not consider any of these cons to be so serious that they take away much from the overall quality and performance of the Greenworks 25292. The fact that it may tend to get slowed down by denser patches of the lawn or tougher varieties of grass is a problem that is common to electric lawn mowers. The same is true for any difficulties it may encounter with attempting to mow taller grass. While it may miss an occasional stray blade of grass, it does not do it so often as to be a very serious problem. The carrying capacity of the rear bag will only present itself as an issue on very big jobs, and even then, it won’t be a huge hassle. And while the price tag is fairly high, I think the mower is probably worth the expense.
Pros and Cons lists, while very useful to understanding what an individual lawn mower has to offer, will not be able to give you a complete picture of the overall quality of the machine by themselves. Instead, I find they are most useful when considered in tandem with a detailed product comparison discussion. Only by weighing the strengths and weaknesses of a particular product against similar models made by its competitors can you get a truly clear picture of how it stacks up. In addition to this, comparison shopping can also give you a better idea of what a particular class of lawn mowers as a whole can and should be able to offer, which makes you a much more informed consumer overall. The following table compares important product specifications of the Greenworks 25292 with those of two similar machines, the Worx WG788 and the Toro 20360. Let’s take a look.
|Dimensions||30.9 x 17.2 x 20.1 inches||38.6 x 15.5 x 22.8 inches||56.7 x 21.5 x 38.9 inches|
|Power||40V Removable Battery|
(Inc. 2 Li-Ion batteries)
|36V Removable Battery|
(Inc. 1 battery)
|36V Removable Battery|
(Inc. 1 battery)
|Charge Time||3 Hours||16 Hours to 100%||15 Hours to 100%|
|Deck Size (cutting swath)||19-inch||19-inch||20-inch|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch and bag|
|Cutting Area||up to 1/2 acre||up to 1/2 acre||up to 1/4 acre|
|Runtime charge (conditions may vary)||up to 60 Minutes||up to 60 minutes||up to 45 minutes|
|Drive System||Push||Manual Push||Manual Push|
|Starter||Key + Push button||Key + Push button||Push Button|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (6 positions)||Handle (6 positions)||Each wheel (8 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/4 to 3-1/8-inch||1-1/2- to 3-1/2-inch||1- to 4-inch|
|Wheel Size||7-inch front / 8-inch rear||8-inch front / 8-inch rear||7-inch front / 8-inch rear|
|Weight||49 pounds||87 pounds||77 pounds|
|Warranty||4 years on mower|
2 years on battery
|2 years||2 years|
As you can see, all three machines are battery powered electric lawn mowers, although the Greenworks 25292 is the only one to offer a 40 volt lithium ion battery. Because of this the battery on the Greenworks 25292 charges to full capacity in a fraction of the time of either of the other machines’ lead acid batteries, and it holds its charge long enough to power the mower for up to sixty minutes. The three mowers have comparably sized cutting decks, although the Toro’s is an inch wider than the other two mowers. The Toro also has the most cutting height options and the biggest range of heights compared to the other two mowers, although you have to adjust each of its wheels individually. The Greenworks 25292 is considerably lighter than the other two mowers, at 49 pounds. This will make it a lot easier to maneuver. Finally, the Greenworks 25292 has a 4 year warranty, which is twice the industry standard.
There are plenty of great reasons to purchase a battery powered electric lawn mower: they are quieter and produce fewer emissions than gas powered lawn mowers, and they have a greater range and fewer hassles than plug in electric lawn mowers. Even so, there are a number of areas in which battery powered lawn mowers either perform well don’t, and it’s important to make absolutely sure that the lawn mower you are interested in buying meets or exceeds expectations in these areas. There is no reason to have to sacrifice performance or efficiency when you are switching over to a battery powered lawn mower, and with modern technology you can do this even if you have a bigger lawn. In the vast majority of the important areas to a battery powered lawn mower, the Greenworks 25292 outperforms basic expectations. At the same time, there are a few areas in which it isn’t quite perfect.
- Lithium ion batteries that last longer.
- Three in one mowing capabilities.
- 19 inch wide cutting deck.
- 6 cutting heights from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches.
- Durable steel parts that hold up to wear and tear.
The lithium ion batteries on the Greenworks 25292 are the best, most state of the art you can find on the market today. They take only a few hours to charge to full capacity, and once they’re charged, they can power the mower for up to a full hour and cut an area about the size of half an NFL football field. The mower comes with three grass clippings management capabilities, so you have the freedom to choose to mulch or bag them as well as opt for the standard side discharge. The cutting deck on the Greenworks 25292 is nineteen inches wide, ensuring you don’t lose any cutting efficiency. And the cutting deck can be adjusted to one of six heights with a generous range. Finally, the mower is made of durable parts that will last for a long time.
- The mower may have difficulties with tall grass.
- It may struggle to perform well on tougher or denser grass.
- The mower may require multiple passes to evenly cut the lawn.
- The rear bag tends to fill up rather quickly.
- This is one of more expensive walk behind mowers.
The majority of the cons associated with the Greenworks 25292 are either common to electric lawn mowers as a whole or else not so serious that they raise any red flags. While the mower may have some difficulty cutting taller grass, and can slow down as you move through it, it still is able to cut it, which is more than can be said for a lot of mowers. And while it may struggle to cut denser patches or tougher varieties of grass, it isn’t going to get bogged down entirely. It occasionally misses individual blades of grass, but this should not present a huge problem. Although the rear bag is not that big and may tend to fill up quickly, it’s easy to empty and should be able to handle most yards. Finally, while the Greenworks 25292 is one of the pricier mowers available today, I think it is worth it.
When you are making the transition to a battery powered electric lawn mower, you want to be sure you are not sacrificing performance or efficiency to do so. While the benefits of one of these mowers are certainly great – they’re quieter and produce fewer emissions than gas powered lawn mowers, and don’t tether you to a power outlet the way plug in mowers do – a lot of the time, they do not perform as well as gas or plug in mowers do. But with the Greenworks 25292, you are getting a durable, powerful mower with some of the most efficient batteries you can find today. This mower retains the efficiency of a wide, powerful cutting deck and is easy to charge up and use. It is perfect for medium sized lawns that are about 1/2 an acre or less. It has the kind of excellent design and high quality parts that will ensure it can provide quality performance over the long term.
As I mentioned earlier, the Greenworks 25292 is not cheap. It is one of the more expensive battery powered electric lawn mowers I have seen on the market today, and this may put off some of my more frugally minded readers. But before you walk away due to sticker shock, it’s important to consider why the mower is as expensive as it is. It has one of the best power packs you can find on a battery powered mower today – a state of the art lithium ion battery. It retains an extra wide cutting deck, and doesn’t cut corners on accessories or performance. While this is one of the pricier mowers I’ve seen, I do think it’s worth the cost.
Exclusive Offer Greenworks 25292
We've secured an exclusive offer for our readers.Click the button below to see the details.
Offer expires in 23:59:59