Swisher ZT2452A Review
|(Rated: 3.9 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Lawn Mower, Best Zero Turn Mower, Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Lawn Mower Reviews, Riding Mower Buying Guide, Swisher, Swisher Lawn Mowers, Zero Turn Mower Buying Guide, Zero Turn Mower Reviews,|
A zero turn mower is a great investment for the homeowner with a very large amount of property to take care of, or grounds keeping crews responsible for large athletic facilities, or for small business owners who operate professional lawn care businesses. These mowers are the most efficient grass cutting machines available on today’s market, and they are designed to make sure you are cutting grass as quickly and reliably as possible. They have massive cutting deck sizes – often two or three times what walk behind or even some riding mowers offer. And they have the ability to turn a full 360 degrees on their central axis, which eliminates any problems associated with tight corners or lawn obstacles. These are the best machines available for finishing lawn care jobs in fewer passes and less time.
The Swisher ZT2452A is a great zero turn mower. It has a Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series V-twin engine and a three blade, 52 inch cutting deck. It has a low center of gravity and a fully 360 degree turning radius for the best possible maneuverability and stability even on rough or uneven terrain. It has an electric PTO clutch, a manual spring assisted deck lift, and hydrostatic transmission. In addition the Swisher ZT2452A has a number of great features designed to ensure that you are riding in comfort when you are operating it. Overall this is an excellent zero turn mower.
Zero turn mowers like the Swisher ZT2452A are designed to provide the highest maneuverability and best cutting efficiency of any machine on the market today. These machines are equipped with differential drive systems that permit the user to supply variable power to the rear wheel drive. When the user provides the same amount of power to both wheels the mower moves in a straight line. When the user provides more power to one wheel than the other the mower moves in a curved line. And when the user stops one wheel altogether while providing power to the other, the mower will spin on its own axis – providing a zero turn radius. This maneuverability means zero turn mowers excel at navigating around tight corners or obstacles on the lawn, and that virtually eliminates any need of hedging or trimming after a job is finished.
The Swisher ZT2452A has a powerful Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series V-twin engine with an electric starter. Along with its hydrostatic transmission, the engine provides enough power to run the blades on the cutting deck as well as drive the machine at a top speed of 6 mph in forward or reverse. The deck size on this mower is a whopping 52 inches, much more than what is available on most lawn tractors or walk behind mowers. The speed and size of the Swisher ZT2452A mean that it can cut an area up to a full acre in under an hour easily. Before you know it you will be finished with your lawn care duties and ready to enjoy the weekend (if you are a residential homeowner) or on to the next big job (if you own your own lawn care business).
The Swisher ZT2452A is designed with comfort and convenience in mind. It has an ergonomically designed cockpit with a padded seat. The seat is easily adjusted to accommodate people of different heights, and it has a fifteen inch seat back for added comfort. There is a convenient storage space under the seat, and added features like a cup holder for cold beverages when you are working on hot days. Overall this is a great zero turn mower that is packed with features and which sells for a rather competitive price.
The Swisher ZT2452A has dimensions of 73.2 x 55.8 x 29.7 inches, and it weighs only 595 pounds. This makes it a relatively small machine as far as zero turn mowers are concerned. It has a Briggs & Stratton manufactured, Extended Life System V-twin engine with an electric starter. The engine can provide the kind of power necessary for multiple tough jobs. The hydrostatic transmission, manufactured by Hydro Gear, provides differential power to the rear wheels, and along with the Briggs & Stratton engine it can provide enough power to give the mower a top forward or reverse speed of 6.0 mph. The Swisher ZT2452A has a 52 inch deck width and three welded steel cutting blades that provide a professional, looking, and well manicured cut every time you use it.
|Dimensions||73.2 x 55.8 x 29.7 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine Specs||ELS Twin|
|Gas Tank||4.00 Galons|
|Number of Blades||3|
|Max Speed||6.0 mph forward / 6.0 mph reverse|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (7 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-1/2-inch|
|Wheel Size||11×4-inch front / 18×10-inch rear|
The Swisher ZT2452A has 11 x 4 inch front wheels and 18 x 10 inch rear wheels and a low center of gravity to ensure that it can handle even rough or uneven ground. It has 7 height adjustment options between 1.5 and 4.5 inches to provide the best possible range of height and keep your lawn looking healthy and beautiful all year long. The height adjustment is controlled by a single lever that is within easy reach of the operator. It has a manual, spring assisted deck lift for when you are moving over rough or paved ground. It has a single option for grass management: side discharge. It has an integrated storage compartment, anti-slip grip mats, a 15 inch high seat back, an hour meter and a standard rear hitch.
The Swisher ZT2452A is a zero turn riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton Extended Life System V-twin engine with an electric starter. The engine is manufactured by one of the leading manufacturers in the industry, so you can be certain it will provide the kind of power needed to keep this machine working well for years to come. Along with the Hydro Gear hydrostatic transmission, the engine drives the Swisher ZT2452A at a top forward and reverse speed of 6.0 mph. The mower has a 360 degree turning radius, and it can literally spin on its own axis, which means you will be able to negotiate tight corners and maneuver around lawn obstacles such as trees or garden beds with ease.
The Swisher ZT2452A has a cutting deck width of 52 inches and three durable, welded steel cutting blades that cut grass evenly and uniformly for a cleaner, more professional look. The mower has a spring assisted manual deck lift system that allows the operator to easily shift from grass to hard surfaces and back again. The mower’s frame is fabricated using welded steel, which, unlike stamped cutting decks, will be far more durable so that you can rely on it to provide reliable cuts even after several years of tough jobs.
The zero turn mower has seven height adjustment options between 1.5 and 4.5 inches, and they are easy to change simply by using a single lever that is conveniently mounted within easy reach of the operator’s seat. According to lawn care experts, you should avoid cutting your grass any shorter than 1/3 its original height. If you do you risk damaging the grass, which can make it more vulnerable to onset of disease, invasions by weeds or crab grass, or drying out and browning during heat waves or dry spells. So it is very important to have a range of options that you can adjust between easily. The grass will not be the same height every time you cut it, and you want to give it the best possible cut so that it will stay looking healthy and beautiful all season long.
The Swisher ZT2452A is designed with the operator’s comfort in mind. It has a step through cockpit for easy mounting and dismounting. The control levers are designed ergonomically and are padded to protect your hands from blisters and your wrists from shocks while you are operating it on uneven or rough terrain. The mower has a comfortable, padded seat with a 15 inch high seat back. The seat is easily adjusted using a lever underneath it so that you do not have to worry about not being able to reach the controls, or having your legs cramp up while you are using it. It has great additional perks like an integrated storage space for your gloves, ear protectors or other garden accessories and a cup holder for carrying a cold beverage when you are working in the hot sun. It is equipped with a rear hitch for towing garden trailers or tying it down in the bed of a truck.
The Swisher ZT2452A only weighs 595 pounds. It has dimensions of 73.2 x 55.8 x 29.7 inches, which is small for any zero turn mower and especially for one that has a 52 inch wide cutting deck. Its compact size, along with its large wheels (11 x 4 inch front and 18 x 10 inch rear) and low center of gravity makes it an extremely maneuverable machine. You can turn it on a dime and have it going right back in another direction, or you can maneuver it right up to trees or garden beds in order to eliminate edging and trimming. And its compact size has the added benefit of making the Swisher ZT2452A easy to store and transport. It fits in the typical pickup truck bed, and it is easy to store in your garage. It won’t even take up a full parking space.
The Swisher ZT2452A is a well made machine that is manufactured in the USA. It will provide a professional looking cut to your lawn every time you use it. Its wide cutting deck and forward speed of 6.0 mph make it an extremely efficient grass cutting machine that is perfect for homeowners with properties of more than an acre to take care of.
There are quite a few reasons why a zero turn mower is great for homeowners with very large properties, caretakers of athletic fields or golf courses, or the owners of landscaping or lawn care businesses. Zero turn mowers are hands down the most efficient grass cutting machines ever invented. They have very wide cutting decks and can literally turn on a dime, which means they have no trouble maneuvering around tight corners or edging near trees or garden beds on your property. The Swisher ZT2452A has a number of great features that add to its efficiency as a zero turn mower. It has a powerful motor designed by an industry leader, ergonomic design and convenient amenities, a large cutting deck, great maneuverability and an affordable price. Let me go into some of the pros that the Swisher ZT2452A offers in a bit more detail.
- Powerful ELS engine designed by Briggs & Stratton : When it comes to manufacturing quality engines and engine components, Briggs & Stratton is at the top of its industry. This manufacturer consistently designs and builds some of the best engines on the market. The Swisher ZT2452A zero turn mower is equipped with Briggs & Stratton’s patented Extended Life System engine. It is designed to consistently provide reliable power over many years without requiring servicing or replacement. This engine provides enough power to drive not only the three cutting blades but also the mower itself, which has a top speed of 6 mph. Along with its hydrostatic transmission, manufactured by Hydro Gear, another top name in the field, you can be sure that the Briggs & Stratton engine provides everything this zero turn mower could possibly need under the hood. It is powerful and will last a long time.
- 52 inch cutting deck for excellent efficiency : There are a few reasons people buy zero turn mowers, and one of the most important is their massive deck size. In this department, the Swisher ZT2452A really shines. It has a massive 52 inch cutting deck with three welded steel cutting blades. That is more than four feet across, and it is more than twice as wide as even the largest walk behind mowers. It’s also a lot wider than most lawn tractors. A cutting deck width of this size is important if you are looking for a machine that can tackle large areas quickly. A wider cutting deck means you can finish the job in fewer passes, and fewer passes means less time on the job. Combined with its top speed of 6 mph, a 52 inch cutting deck means you can cut a 1 acre lawn in well under an hour.
- Ergonomic design and convenient amenities : The cockpit of the Swisher ZT2452A is designed with two things in mind: comfort and convenience. Because it is a step through cockpit, mounting and dismounting a zero turn mower was never easier. It features a high quality, padded seat with a 15 inch back to make sure you are always riding in comfort. The seat is easily adjusted to accommodate operators of different heights using a lever mounted beneath it. The control levers are designed to be as ergonomically angled as possible so you do not strain your wrists while using them, and they are padded to keep your palms from getting chapped from gripping them. There are convenient amenities like a cup holder for cold beverages on hot days and an integrated storage space for keeping your protective eyewear or ear plugs as well. All in all these features mean that riding on the Swisher ZT2452A is an experience in convenience and comfort.
- Compact for outstanding maneuverability and easy storage : With dimensions of just 73.2 x 55.8 x 29.7 inches, the Swisher ZT2452A is a small zero turn mower, especially when you consider the fact that it still packs a 52 inch cutting deck. Its small size along with its low center of gravity improve upon the already great maneuverability inherent in all zero turn mowers, and it means you will be able to steer the Swisher ZT2452A around garden beds and trees, and spin your way out of tight corners, with ease. In addition, its small size relative to other zero turn mowers means that it will not be taking up all of the space in your garage when you need to store it. This is important whether you need to keep your car in the garage or simply store all of your home and garden equipment.
- A competitive price that won’t break your bank : Because zero turn mowers are big, powerful, and offer the utmost in lawn care efficiency, they often have high price tags as well. Because of this, many residential homeowners do not think that they will be able to afford a zero turn mower, and that these machines are only designed for professional lawn care companies. But with models like the Swisher ZT2452A on the market, the zero turn mower just got a whole lot more affordable. Just about anyone who has a property big enough to warrant using a zero turn mower can afford one these days. This model in particular is designed to provide all of the benefits of a zero turn mower without you to spend too much money. It is difficult to find a quality zero turn mower at less than $5000, but in this model, Swisher managed to provide just that.
A lot of thought went into designing and building the Swisher ZT2452A to make it the perfect zero turn mower for the residential homeowner with more than an acre of property to maintain. This mower has a powerful Briggs & Stratton Extended Life System engine and a Hydro Gear hydrostatic transmission. It has the kind of power necessary for long term use on a big lawn. And it is designed to provide the kind of excellence and performance that you want in a zero turn mower without forcing you to spend more money than you can or want to afford. The Swisher ZT2452A has a 52 inch cutting deck that can allow you to knock out big jobs quickly and get back to enjoying your weekend sooner. And it has an ergonomically designed cockpit and bonus amenities that are all provided to make sure that you are cutting your lawn in the most comfort possible. This zero turn mower is compact enough that it is easy to store. And because it is so small, it is one of the most maneuverable grass cutting machines available today. Finally, it has a competitive price that is designed to make owning a zero turn mower accessible to any homeowner who feels they might need one for their oversized lawn.
All that said, there are of course drawbacks to even those zero turn mowers that have the highest quality craftsmanship and design. This is especially true when you are looking at one that is meant to provide the benefits of a zero turn mower at an affordable price. That’s because manufacturers almost half to cut corners in today’s market if they want to keep price tags low. So of course there are going to be some areas where the Swisher ZT2452A – or any zero turn mower that is comparably priced – is going to be lacking. In this section I will detail some of these cons a bit further. They include the fact that the mower only has one grass management option; the mower is difficult to handle; the mower does not do well on hills or sloping terrain; the mower has a relatively short warranty; and the mower has some durability and performance issues. Let’s take a closer look at these problems so you have a more complete picture of what this mower offers.
- Mower only has one option for grass clippings management : Of course, it is not that uncommon for zero turn mowers to only provide one grass clippings management option, but it is not always the case (see the product comparison chart below). Many homeowners appreciate having options for what to do with their grass clippings, especially if they have a rambling property with several lawns in the front or back. While side discharge may be fine in a play area in the back of the house, it can take away from the manicured aesthetic in the front, so you may want to have the option to bag or mulch your clippings in one are or the other. This zero turn mower only has the option to discharge clippings back onto the lawn. If you do not particularly care about this, then you can save some money in the long run, but if this is a deal breaker then I suggest you look at some of the other zero turn mowers on this site.
- The mower is somewhat difficult to handle : On the one hand, zero turn mowers take some getting used to. Many users are not familiar with differential transmissions or how they work, and find them hard to use at first. Because of this, the newest innovation in zero turn mower technology is to allow the user to control them with a joystick. On the Swisher ZT2452A this is not the case: it has the traditional dual lever control. This alone makes it a bit tricky to get used to, but at the same time the hydrostatic transmission makes it a little more difficult to handle than the average zero turn mower is. If you have a lot of experience in operating a zero turn mower, you should be able to quickly acclimate to the idiosyncrasies of operating the Swisher ZT2452A. But if you are brand new to using this kind of mower and have never worked with a dual drive system, you may want to consider a zero turn mower with a reputation for easier handling than this one.
- The mower cannot negotiate hills or sloping terrain : Even though it has a low center of gravity and a powerful Briggs & Stratton engine with hydrostatic transmission, the Swisher ZT2452A still has problems when it comes to maneuvering on hills or sloping terrain. The wheels are not quite large enough to provide the traction that is necessary for this kind of work. Of course, if your yard is located in a region of the country that is not very hilly, and you just have a flat expanse of grass to mow, this will not be a problem for you. But if you do have a lot of uneven terrain, or a long sloping yard, then you may find trying to mow it with the Swisher ZT2452A a bit more trouble than it’s worth. In that case, you may want to consider a lawn tractor or a zero turn mower with bigger wheels and a more powerful engine.
- The warranty on the Swisher ZT2452A is rather short : Swisher offers a two year warranty on all of its mowers, including this model. While that is the industry standard for walk behind mowers, many other companies offer at least three year warranties on zero turn mowers, and some companies offer lifetime warranties. These mowers are usually subject to a lot more wear and tear than walk behind or even other riding mowers are. Because of that it is important that you make sure you are covered for a bit longer than you would need to be with a smaller lawn mower. If you do not mind having a short warranty or if you have used Swisher products in the past and trust the brand then this may not be a problem. But otherwise, you may want to keep shopping.
- The mower has some durability and performance issues : The Swisher ZT2452A, for all of its durable construction and top of the line engine still has occasional performance and durability issues, and from time to time it can break down much more quickly than one would generally hope. This should be taken into consideration along with the warranty issue discussed in previous point. Occasionally the arm that supports the cutting deck will fail, which will result in the deck dropping to its lowest setting. This risks scalping the lawn and doing damage to the cutting blades as well. Also, the cutting blades will eventually lose their sharpness, especially if you are using this mower to cut dense or tough grass more often than a few times a month.
What these cons all point to is the fact that this is not a zero turn mower that is designed for commercial use, and for the most part it is also not designed for a lot of rigorous wear and tear in general. If you have a fairly uniform, flat lawn that is over 1/2 an acre in size and you want a machine that can efficiently cut it once or twice a month, then this is the zero turn mower for you. But if you cut your grass more often than that, or if you live in an area that is hilly or has tough, dense varieties of grass like St Augustine or Bermuda grass, then this zero turn mower might not be able to do the job well. The fact that it has problems with durability and performance, when combined with the fact that it has a rather short warranty, is a fairly serious problem to think hard about. You do not want an investment of several thousand dollars breaking down a year or two after it is out of warranty.
It is always a good idea to do some comparison shopping around any kind of product to get a complete picture of what different manufacturers offer. When you are buying an expensive home and garden tool, this is most definitely the case. By comparing it to other products that are similarly designed and priced, you get a complete picture of how a machine stacks up against its competition. After you have done that, you can make your purchase with confidence that the product you have chosen is the right one for you. In order to make this process a bit easier, I have selected two competing zero turn mowers, the Stanley 62ZS and the Husqvarna RZ4621 for comparison with the Swisher ZT2452A.
|Dimensions||73.2 x 55.8 x 29.7 inches||83.1 x 64.5 x 41.8 inches||75.1 x 56.2 x 39.9 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton||Kawasaki||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine Specs||ELS Twin||FX850V|
|Gas Tank||4.00 Galons||7.50 Galons||3.50 Galons|
|Number of Blades||3||2||2|
|Productivity||N/A||N/A||2.4 Acres / Hour|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Side discharge||Side discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Max Speed||6.0 mph forward|
6.0 mph reverse
|10.0 mph forward|
10.0 mph reverse
|6.5 mph forward|
3.5 mph reverse
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (7 positions)||Single lever (8 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-1/2-inch||1-1/2- to 5-inch||1-1/2- to 4-inch|
|Wheel Size||11×4-inch front|
|Weight||595 pounds||1100 pounds||580 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||Lifetime||3 years|
As the table shows, the Swisher ZT2452A is the most compact of the three machines, at 73.2 x 55.8 x 29.7 inches, which means it will be the easiest to store in your garage. It has a Briggs & Stratton engine, like the Husqvarna, and it has a medium sized gas tank. It has three blades, unlike the other zero turn mowers, which each have only two. That means the blades on the Swisher will be subjected to less damage when you are cutting tough patches. The Swisher ZT2452A has the second widest deck size, at 52 inches. Like the Stanley it only has one grass clippings management option, where the Husqvarna offers three: mulching, bagging, and side discharge. The Swisher is the slowest of the three in terms of forward speed. The Stanley is the largest and the heaviest mower, which is good for traction but can be a problem in terms of for storage and transport. Finally, the Swisher has the shortest warranty of the three, while the Husqvarna has a three year warranty and the Stanley provides a lifetime warranty.
When you are the owner of a private residence that has a very big lawn, or if you are the greens keeper of an athletic field or golf course, or if you are the owner of a professional lawn care business, owning and operating a zero turn mower is almost a requirement. Other lawn mowers simply do not have the deck width, speed and efficiency necessary to give your lawn a professional looking cut in a reasonable amount of time. You need a mower that can cut the lawn in few passes and be able to do so reliably for many years to come. Overall, the Swisher ZT2452A is an excellent zero turn mower for residential use. Here, I will revisit the pros and cons of this machine more time.
- Powerful ELS engine designed by Briggs & Stratton.
- Ergonomic design and convenient amenities.
- 52 inch cutting deck for excellent efficiency.
- The best possible maneuverability in a mower today.
- A competitive price that means it won’t break your bank.
Each of these great features helps the Swisher ZT2452A provide a number of advantages to the homeowner with more than 1/2 an acre of grass to cut. It has a powerful Briggs & Stratton engine with a patented Extended Life System to ensure that it will last for many years. It is designed with comfort and convenience in mind, and it has a number of great amenities that back this up. It has a huge 52 inch cutting deck to ensure that big jobs get done fast. It is compact to ensure that storage is not a problem and that maneuverability is completely optimized. And it has a competitive price to ensure that even homeowners on a budget can finally afford to purchase a zero turn mower. All things considered, this list of pros shows that the Swisher ZT2452A is a great machine.
- The mower only has one grass clippings management option.
- The mower is somewhat difficult to handle.
- The mower cannot negotiate hills or sloping terrain.
- The warranty on the mower is rather short.
- There are some durability and performance issues.
The most serious of these cons are numbers four and five, which taken together can prove quite problematic. If this zero turn mower had a lifetime or even extended warranty in place, then problems with its durability or performance would not be as alarming; and likewise a shorter warranty would not be an issue if you could be confident that it would not break down for many years to come. As for the other drawbacks, it is important to understand that this zero turn mower is designed primarily for residential use, and it will not stand up to professional level wear and tear. But if you only intend to use it sporadically on a relatively flat and even lawn, then these cons should not prove to be too much of a problem. Ultimately I urge you to weigh these against the pros, and compare it closely to competitors’ products.
A zero turn mower is something anyone who owns a property with a large amount of grass has thought about purchasing at one time or another. These wonderful machines can turn a full 360 degrees in place, thanks to the brilliant variable transmission rear wheel drive. This fact alone makes zero turn mowers the most maneuverable grass cutting machines on the planet today. Add to that their huge cutting decks, high speeds and multiple blades and it is easy to see why they are the preferred choice of lawn care professionals and ground crews in athletic facilities. You can also understand why they are perfect for taking care of large residential properties.
The Swisher ZT2452A has all of the advantages of more expensive commercial grade zero turn mowers, and it is designed with efficiency and convenience in mind. It has a powerful Briggs & Stratton Extended Life System engine that will ensure that it keeps running for years to come. It has a cockpit that is designed with the highest user comfort in mind, and wonderful features like an integrated storage system and ergonomic seating and controls. It has a 52 inch wide cutting deck with three blades and a Hydro Gear hydrostatic transmission that allows it to run at top forward and reverse speeds of 6 mph. Overall this is a great mower for the homeowner with more than 1/2 an acre of ground to cover.
As I have mentioned several times throughout this guide, the Swisher ZT2452A is one of the more affordable zero turn mowers available on the market today. It is not easy to find a zero turn mower with such a large cutting deck and a high quality engine for less than five thousand dollars, but that is exactly what the Swisher ZT2452A is. It is designed to provide all of the quality and performance of more expensive zero turn mowers without forcing you to break the bank to get it. This mower will allow you to enjoy owning a zero turn mower and keep more of your hard earned money.