Stanley 62ZS Review
|(Rated: 4.8 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Lawn Mower, Best Zero Turn Mower, Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Lawn Mower Reviews, Riding Mower Buying Guide, Stanley, Stanley Lawn Mowers, Zero Turn Mower Buying Guide, Zero Turn Mower Reviews,|
Finding a zero turn mower that is right for your lawn care needs and your personal preferences can be a difficult, tedious process. This is especially true if you are looking for a machine that can reliably cut numerous large jobs on a regular basis. If you own your own professional lawn care company, you are going to need to invest in zero turn mowers that can reliably provide the kind of optimal performance that you need for your business to be successful. Stanley is a trusted manufacturer of heavy duty, professional grade lawn mowers, and the Stanley 62ZS is no exception in this department. It is a professional zero turn mower that provides a high quality cut in less time, every time.
The Stanley 62ZS is a very powerful zero turn mower with Kawasaki FX850V, 852 cubic centimeter engine, a massive 62 inch cutting deck, and Peerless hydrostatic transmission. It has a 360 degree turning radius and a low center of gravity for optimal maneuverability. Its top speed in forward or reverse is 10 mph. Along with its huge cutting deck and powerful engine, the Stanley 62ZS will provide professional grade cuts to any lawn that it tackles, and it is manufactured for extended durability to make sure it can handle tough jobs over and over for years to come.
The Stanley 62ZS has lots of great features. First, because it is a zero turn mower with a low center of gravity and a 360 degree turning radius, it is the most maneuverable mower for its size on the market today. Zero turn mowers have a differential drive system that allows the operator to provide variable power to the rear wheel drive. By providing more power to one wheel than the other, the mower will travel in a curved line; by providing power to one wheel while stopping the other, the mower will spin on its own axis. This provides the tightest possible turning radius and allows for greater maneuverability around obstacles and in tight corners.
The Stanley 62ZS has a powerful 852cc, Kawasaki FX850V engine that provides 31 horsepower and a top forward or reverse speed of 10mph. It has a huge 62 inch cutting deck with two blades made of tough 7 gauge steel. The cutting blades reach speeds of over eighteen thousand feet per minute to provide the most professional finishes every time. The cutting deck is fabricated from welded steel so you can be sure it will provide durable, reliable performance for years to come. For operator safety, the Stanley 62ZS has a roll bar and seat belt to ensure operator safety.
In addition it has great features like a high back seat with arm rests for greater comfort while you are operating the zero turn mower; a cup holder for keeping a cold beverage when you are out working on hot days; halogen headlights so you can extend the workday into later hours without losing accuracy or precision; and oversized tires for better traction and maneuverability over uneven terrain; and a floating deck to give you the best control over the cutting area.
The Stanley 62ZS has a 62 inch cutting deck and dimensions of 83.1 x 64.5 x 41.8 inches. It weighs 1100 pounds. It has a gas powered, Kawasaki manufactured FX850V, 852cc engine that packs enough power to perform reliably on multiple tough jobs. The Stanley has a unique twin hydrostatic transmission manufactured by Peerless that can provide top forward and reverse speeds of 10mph. Its drive system is operated by the traditional dual lever array found on most zero turn mowers, in which each of two levers controls the power distributed to one of the two rear wheels. It has a 62 inch cutting deck fabricated from welded steel so that it ensures greater durability and performance, and it has two cutting blades made from 7 gauge steel as well as a commercial grade fabricated steel frame. It has eight height settings between 1.5 and 5 inches that are controlled by a single lever and augmented by a floating deck that is designed to avoid scalping.
|Dimensions||83.1 x 64.5 x 41.8 inches|
|Engine Specs||FX850V – 852-cc Engine|
|Gas Tank||7.50 Galons|
|Number of Blades||2|
|Max Speed||10.0 mph forward / 10.0 mph reverse|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (8 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 5-inch|
|Wheel Size||15×6-inch front / 22×10-inch rear|
The Stanley 62ZS zero turn mower has 15 x 6 inch front wheels and oversized 22 x 10 inch rear wheels for better traction and control. It has a low center of gravity and a 360 degree turning radius that combine to offer the greatest possible maneuverability. It features a large gas tank that can hold up to 7.5 gallons for longer run time. It has a roll bar and seat belt for added safety for the operator, an ergonomically designed, padded seat with a high back for greater comfort, and halogen headlights for an extended work day. The Stanley 62ZS has a patented soft start clutch and spindle brakes to save wear and tear on both the mower and the operator. It provides blade tip speeds of over 18,000 feet per second that allow for the most professional looking cuts possible in a commercial zero turn mower.
The Stanley 62ZS is a zero turn riding mower with a gas powered, 31 horsepower, 852cc, V-twin engine manufactured by Kawasaki. It has a soft start clutch and spindle brakes that reduce wear and tear both on the machine and the operator. The mower has a Peerless manufactured, patented twin hydrostatic transmission, and it can drive at top forward and reverse speeds of 10mph. The twin hydrostatic transmission allows for smooth transitioning from lower to higher speeds as well as convenient shifting into curved or zero turn modes without slowing down. That will allow you to turn tight corners easily and maneuver around trees and garden beds without any problems, making your overall lawn mowing experience much more efficient.
The Stanley 62ZS has a deck width of 62 inches, two 7 gauge steel cutting blades that spin at over 18,000 feet per second for a more professional, cleaner look, and a floating deck that is designed to make sure you do not run the risk of scalping the lawn on uneven or sloping ground. The cutting deck is fabricated with welded steel. That means that unlike stamped cutting decks, the Stanley 62ZS will be much more durable and able to provide reliable performance on difficult jobs for years to come.
The Stanley 62ZS features eight height adjustment options between 1.5 and 5 inches, and the cutting deck height is easily adjusted using a single lever mounted on the side of the operator’s seat, within convenient reach while you are operating the mower. Doing so can damage the grass and make it more susceptible to disease, the deleterious effects of heat waves, or infestations of weeds or crab grass. So it is really important to be sure you can adjust the height of the cutting blades easily in order to give your lawn the healthiest possible cut and keep it looking good all season long.
The Stanley 62ZS has a professional grade welded steel frame and a Roll Over Protection Safety (ROPS) bar along with a seat belt to maximize operator safety while you are using it. It features an adjustable, padded seat with a high seat back and armrests for the greatest possible comfort, as well as convenient features like a cup holder for storing a cold beverage when you are working on hot days. It also has high power halogen headlights that allow you to keep working even in poor light conditions. This is optimal for lawn care professionals who need to work after dusk – for example, those responsible for maintaining golf courses or other public areas that need to be cut after patrons have gone home ofr the day. The Stanley 62ZS also has convenient hitches on the front and rear for towing lawn trolleys or for tying it down in the bed of a truck or trailer.
The Stanley 62ZS weighs 1100 pounds and has a low center of gravity along with tough 15 x 6 inch front wheels and oversized 22 x 10 inch rear wheels. The wheels are designed to make sure it is easy to maneuver on even terrain with no problems. Along with its oversized wheels and low center of gravity, the mower’s zero turn radius, and twin hydrostatic transmission make it one of the most maneuverable grass cutting machines you could ever purchase. This mower can easily maneuver around or right up to obstacles on the lawn, like trees or garden beds, and this can eliminate the need for edging or trimming on most jobs. Plus, it can take care of tight corners without stopping or slowing down. Instead it spins easily a full 360 degrees on its own axis. You can literally turn the Swisher ZTR around on a dime and have it heading in any other direction you choose. This is perfect for oddly shaped lawns or those with lots of obstacles.
The Stanley 62ZS is designed to provide reliable performance and a professional looking, well manicured cut every time it is used. It can cut large areas of grass in almost no time at all compared to other riding mowers. It is an excellent zero turn mower for professional landscapers or for residential use by those homeowners who have very large properties. If you are the caretaker of an athletic field or golf course, you may want to consider adding this zero turn mower to your fleet. All in all the Stanley 62ZS can be a great choice for a wide range of uses.
Purchasing a commercial grade zero turn mower with an extra wide turning radius is a great idea if you have a lot of property to maintain, and it is simply a must if you own a professional landscaping business. A zero turn mower is hands down the most efficient grass cutting machine on the market today. Because of its ability to literally spin 360 degrees without stopping or going in reverse, this mower can handle tight corners and yard obstacles with no problems. There are a number of pros to buying a zero turn mower like the Stanley 62ZS, and to give you a better idea of what it offers I have provided a list of some of the top features this mower offers. It has a powerful engine, very large cutting deck with two welded steel blades, ergonomic design and great features, a unique twin hydrostatic transmission with high speeds, and excellent maneuverability. I am going to go into each of these pros in a bit more detail below. Overall its power and maneuverability make this a great riding mower for professionals or residential use.
- Powerful Kawasaki 852cc engine : Kawasaki manufactures high quality engines that have a reputation of reliably providing lots of raw power over many years. The Stanley 62ZS has a Kawasaki FX850V engine that is 852 cubic centimeters and provides a whopping 31 horsepower. This is a lot of power for a riding mower, and this kind of power means you can rest assured that this zero turn mower will be able to handle tough jobs day in and day out without needing maintenance or breaking down. And it has a gas tank that can hold up to 7.5 gallons, which means you will be able to complete bigger jobs and more of them without having to repeatedly refuel it.
- 62 inch cutting deck with two welded steel blades : One of the most attractive features of zero turn mowers besides their superior handling and maneuverability is their amazing cutting deck widths. The Stanley 62ZS is no exception: it features a massive 62 inch cutting deck with two welded steel cutting blades. The cutting blades are extremely durable and can cut through even the toughest varieties of grass, like St Augustine or Bermuda grass, and they can do so in fewer passes. That means that you will be finishing jobs much faster than you could with a mower that had a narrower cutting deck. You can effectively cut a full acre in under 45 minutes with a deck size of 62 inches while running this zero turn mower at top speed.
- Ergonomic design and excellent add on features : With a padded, adjustable seat that has arm rests and a high seat back for maximum comfort, riding in the Stanley 62ZS is extremely comfortable. In addition to the ergonomic design of the seat and the control levers, the mower is designed with safety in mind: it is equipped with a roll over bar and a seat belt to make sure the operator is protected from any accidents. Beyond that, the Stanley 62ZS has such excellent features as a cup holder for carrying cold drinks when you are working on a hot day and powerful halogen headlights that will allow you to extend your workday to after dusk. That means you will be able to take care of more jobs in a single day, or mow your own property after work, or even maintain public areas like golf courses after the crowds have gone home for the evening.
- Unique twin hydrostatic transmission for greater speed : The Stanley 62ZS is equipped with an innovative technological breakthrough – twin hydrostatic transmission – that allows for greater speed. Unlike other zero turn mowers, in which a single transmission provides differential power to the rear wheels, the Stanley 62ZS has twin hydrostatic transmissions, manufactured by Peerless. Each one is responsible for controlling power in a different rear wheel. This allows for greater control of the machine as well as higher speeds than many other zero turn mowers are able to offer. Along with the wide cutting deck – at 62 inches – the high speed that the hydrostatic transmission provides for means you will be able to finish jobs more quickly than ever before. For professional lawn care companies, time is literally money: the more jobs you can finish each day, the better. So a fast zero turn mower can pay for itself many times over by saving you time and making more money.
- Excellent maneuverability : The one area where zero turn mowers stand head and shoulders above any other riding mower on the market today is in maneuverability, and once again the Stanley 62ZS is no exception. It has oversized wheels to help make it more equipped to deal with uneven ground and to give it better traction on sloping ground or wet grass. It has a low center of gravity to improve its zero turn capability. And its twin hydrostatic transmission allows for the best possible control. You can literally spin this mower 360 degrees while it stays in place if you want to and turn it on a dime. That means you will be able to better negotiate tricky lawns with lots of trees or other obstacles, as well as maneuver around tight corners or oddly shaped areas with no problems.
Stanley designed the 62ZS with commercial lawn care in mind, but it is a great mower for residential use as well. If you have a very large property with over an acre of grass to cut, a lawn tractor may not be able to do the job fast enough for your satisfaction. You may need a zero turn mower, which provides not only greater speed and wider deck size but also a turning radius that other riding mowers simply can’t compete with. The Stanley 62ZS has a tough Kawasaki engine that provides 31 horsepower to the blades and drive mechanism. There are two cutting blades that together provide a 62 inch wide swath and spin at over 18,000 rotations per minute to provide the most manicured and professional looking cut possible. This zero turn mower has the kind of toughness and durability required to repeatedly tackle big lawns with tough, dense grasses week in and week out without breaking down or losing performance. Add to that convenient add ons and safety features, and the ergonomic design, and you can see why the Stanley 62ZS provides one of the most comfortable and efficient zero turn mower experiences you could hope for.
At the same time, there are certain drawbacks that I would be remiss not to discuss in this review. While this zero turn mower is certainly one of the largest, fastest and most powerful ones available today, it does lack certain aspects that other, more expensive commercial grade mowers provide, and you may find these drawbacks problematic if you decide to purchase this mower. Taken individually I do not think any of these cons should make you walk away from this mower by themselves. However I do think it is very important to have a full picture of everything a product does or does not offer – especially when it is one that has a more expensive price tag, as the Stanley 62ZS does. It is much better to understand the full picture of this zero turn mower now rather than find out about its drawbacks six months from now when it is sitting in your garage and you have spent several thousand dollars on it. So here is a list of those drawbacks I found, discussed in some detail.
- Mower only has one option for grass clippings management : A lack of multiple grass clippings handling options is certainly not uncommon for zero turn mowers it can nonetheless be problematic. If you need to mulch your clippings back into your lawn to assist its health, or if you want to bag your clippings for later disposal, the Stanley 62ZS is not the mower for you. Additionally if you own your own professional lawn care company and you have clients who need different grass management styles, you will also want a mower that provides more options. Unfortunately the Stanley 62ZS does not even offer optional accessories for additional purchase for bagging or mulching grass clippings. If having clippings discharged onto the lawn or walkways for later collection is not a problem for you, then you can skip this con, but if it is not an option then I suggest that you take a look at some of the other zero turn mowers reviewed on this site.
- Mower has very large dimensions, which affect storage and transport : Hands down, zero turn mowers are the biggest ones on the market, and the Stanley 62ZS is no exception. With dimensions of 83.1 x 64.5 x 41.8 inches, this mower is not going to be easy to store or transport. Those dimensions are almost seven feet by more than five feet. That’s a lot of storage space, and if you are keeping it in a two care garage, it will effectively take up one whole spot. Professional grade pickup trucks will be able to transport this mower, but they will not be able to carry much else. So if you are looking for a zero turn mower to augment your fleet for a professional lawn care business, you will have to be able to deal with the amount of room this one will be taking up. If you do not have one already, you will need to buy a trailer in order to carry it along with whatever other mowers you have. While the advantages of a huge cutting deck are considerable, they may not be worth it for simple residential use if you wind up having trouble storing the mower.
- The mower does not handle well on steep hills : Despite its oversize rear wheels, which are designed to provide adequate traction to handle uneven ground, and its low center of gravity, which is meant to make this mower more maneuverable, the Stanley 62ZS does not handle well on steep hills and often has trouble climbing them. Of course, if you are only using this mower for relatively flat ground, this will not be a problem. But if you are adding it to a lawn care regimen for a golf course that has lots of hilly areas or using it in a lawn care business in an area that has hilly terrain, this could be a major problem. If you do think you will be using your zero turn mower on hilly areas, you may want to keep shopping for one that has a reputation for reliably handling steep grades without issue.
- The design is less durable than other zero turn mowers : Despite the fact that the cutting deck is made of welded steel and the cutting blades are fabricated from high gauge welded steel, the Stanley 62ZS tends to be less durable than many other commercial grade zero turn mowers on the market today. In part, this is due to the fact that it is designed to be a more affordable commercial grade zero turn mower, which it is. But if you intend to use this mower professionally on tough jobs day in and day out for years to come, you may wind up regretting the savings you got up front on this mower if it winds up breaking down, needing maintenance, or worse, needing to be replaced sooner than you planned on.
- The mower does not deal with wet grass well : If you are purchasing this mower for residential use only, then this is not too much of a problem, as you can simply opt to cut the grass later in the day when the sun has dried it out somewhat. But if you are using it professionally, you may not always have the option to wait until later in the day to finish the job. And often when you are cutting the grass on golf courses or other athletic fields, you will be doing so after it has already been irrigated. In these scenarios you want a zero turn mower that is designed with a range of conditions in mind and that can handle grass whether it is tough, dense, long or wet with the same performance every time.
All of these drawbacks considered, the Stanley 62ZS still remains a fairly good zero turn mower for the price tag. While these cons may not make it the perfect commercial grade zero turn mower for someone whose professional lawn care business requires a zero turn mower that can handle all types of terrain or different grass conditions, I still would not write this machine off entirely. It can still be perfect for jobs that require a solid, dependable zero turn mower and have fairly even terrain. This is a great machine for residential homeowners who have a very large, fairly uniform lawn on their property. If that is the case and you are interested in all of the advantages a zero turn mower offers, then many of these drawbacks may simply not apply to you. Either way, it remains important to consider all of the pros as well as all of the cons that a machine like a zero turn mower has to offer so that you can be sure you are getting exactly the right mower for your needs and preferences.
Once you have narrowed down your search to a particular style of lawn mower, and you have a good picture of your price range and the attributes you are looking for, the most difficult part of the decision making process begins. That is the part where you begin comparison shopping. While it can be tedious, comparison shopping allows you to see how a particular product stacks up against its competition. That way you have a better idea of where it stands in the current market, and whether the features it offers for the price are better than those its competitors offer, or if it deficient in certain areas. In order to help you do this quickly and easily, I have provided a table that compares the Stanley 62ZS to the Swisher ZTR2760B and the Husqvarna RZ3016.
|Dimensions||83.1 x 64.5 x 41.8 inches||70.1 x 60.3 x 31.9 inches||66.5 x 37.1 x 39.3 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Kawasaki||Briggs & Stratton||Briggs & Stratton|
|Extended Life Series||Endurance Series|
|Gas Tank||7.50 Galons||8.00 Galons||3.00 Galons|
|Deck Size(cutting swath)||62-inch||60-inch||30-inch|
|Number of Blades||2||3||1|
|Productivity||N/A||N/A||1.6 Acres / Hour|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Side discharge||Side discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Max Speed||10.0 mph forward|
10.0 mph reverse
|6.0 mph forward|
6.0 mph reverse
|6.5 mph forward|
3.5 mph reverse
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (8 positions)||Single lever (8 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 5-inch||1-1/2- to 5-inch||1-1/2- to 4-inch|
|Wheel Size||15×6-inch front|
|Weight||1100 pounds||598 pounds||395 pounds|
|Warranty||Lifetime||2 years||3 years|
As you can see, the Stanley 62ZS has the largest and most powerful engine of the three models, an 852cc Kawasaki FX850V. It also has the largest cutting deck size, at 62 inches. And it is far and away the fastest of the three models, clocking in with top forward and reverse speeds of 10mph, where the other models have top speeds of only 6.0 and 6.5 mph, respectively. Finally, the Stanley 62ZS has the biggest wheels – at least four inches more in diameter than either of its competitors, which offers better maneuverability and traction. And the Stanley has a lifetime warranty, as opposed to 2 and 3 year warranties offered by its competitors. The main areas where the Stanley is not optimally efficient compared to either the Husqvarna or the Swisher are size and weight. The Stanley is the largest and heaviest of the three zero turn mowers, which as discussed in the cons section could be problematic depending on your personal needs.
If you own a residential property that has a very large lawn – more than an acre – or if you look after an athletic field or some other public place such as a golf course, or finally if you own your own professional lawn care business, a zero turn mower is the perfect choice for efficiency. These machines have the largest cutting decks of any mower, and their superior maneuverability and high speeds mean you will be able to finish jobs much more quickly than you could with a smaller mower. Finally, you want to find a zero turn mower that is durable and reliable, and can handle tough jobs for many years to come. The Stanley 62ZS is a great zero turn mower for most scenarios. Let’s take another look at the pros and cons this machine offers.
- Powerful Kawasaki 852cc engine.
- Very large 62 inch cutting deck with welded steel blades.
- Ergonomic design, safety considerations and add on features.
- Unique twin hydrostatic transmission for added speed.
- Excellent maneuverability.
Each one of these great features helps to make the Stanley 62ZS a great commercial grade zero turn mower, especially for high end residential use. It has a powerful 31 HP, 852cc engine designed by Kawasaki. It has a massive 62 inch cutting deck with welded steel blades for a much more professional and neater looking cut. It has ergonomic design, great safety features and a number of additional perks like a comfortable seat, cup holder, and powerful halogen headlights. Its unique twin hydrostatic transmission provides the kind of control and speed you want to finish big jobs quickly. And like many other zero turn mowers, the Stanley 62ZS is extraordinarily maneuverable, and can handle tight corners and lawn obstacles with ease. Overall this is a good zero turn mower with great features.
- Only one grass management option.
- Extremely large dimensions affect transport and storage.
- The mower does not handle steep hills well.
- Design not as durable as other commercial grade zero turn mowers.
- Mower cannot deal with wet grass very well.
Very few zero turn mowers provide multiple grass management options, in a large part because their design is prohibitive towards accessories that would allow for mulching or bagging. But some do, and if this is an important consideration to you, I recommend you look for a zero turn mower that offers this option. This is a rather large zero turn mower, and you may want a smaller one for easier storage and transport. If you have lots of hills of steeply uneven terrain where you will be using a zero turn mower like this one, you may want to look into a different model as well, since the Stanley 62ZS does not handle well on hills. And if you intend to but this mower through a lot of wear and tear, be prepared for the fact that it may not prove to be as durable as other commercial grade zero turn mowers.
Zero turn mowers are perfect for users who need to cut very large areas of grass in relatively short periods of time. These mowers offer enhanced maneuverability and can literally perform a 360 degree spin thanks to their differential drive mechanism, and the twin hydrostatic transmission on the Stanley 62ZS enhances this maneuverability even more. Zero turn mowers have the widest cutting decks and the highest speeds of any riding mower on the market today, which allows their operators to quickly and efficiently know out jobs much faster than other mowers. They are perfect for professional lawn care businesses, athletic facilities such as football fields or golf courses, and even homeowners who simply have a lot of grass to cut.
The Stanley 62ZS has all of the advantages of other zero turn mowers, and it has a massive 62 inch cutting deck and top speed of 10 mph to make sure that you will be able to finish your lawn care duties in as little time as possible. It is designed to maximize your safety and comfort while you operate it. And it is designed with the kind of efficiency and power that can keep you cutting lawns with it for years to come.
Zero turn mowers have a very wide price range these days, and can run as much as ten thousand dollars or more. The Stanley 62ZS tends to fall in the mid range of prices for commercial zero turn mowers, and it is typically priced between seven and eight thousand dollars. This is a comfortable price for those of us who may be interested in buying a large zero turn mower for residential use. On the other hand, if you own your own landscaping or lawn care business and you are looking for a top of the line commercial grade zero turn mower, you may want to spend a bit more money. In business terms, this kind of purchase is a major investment, and you want to be sure it will pay off in the long run. For that reason it is sometimes wiser to spend a bit more in order to get a machine that will definitely stand up to long term tough use.