Toro Power Clear 621QZE Review
|(Rated: 3.6 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Gas Single-Stage Snow Blower, Best Snow Blower, Gas Single-Stage Snow Blower Reviews, Snow Blower Reviews, Toro, Toro Snow Blowers,|
Whether or not you have a particularly long driveway, when a severe winter storm drops a heavy accumulation of snow on your area, you are going to want to be prepared. For starters, abandon the idea of clearing your driveway with a snow shovel – that is old news – and switch over to a snow blower that can get the job done much more quickly and efficiently and save you countless hours out in the cold.
But you don’t want just any snow blower. Even if you have a medium sized driveway, you owe it to yourself to get a powerful snow blower that can get big jobs done in less time. And you want your snow blower to have the kind of high snow cut depth that will keep you prepared even if blizzard conditions leave deep snow drifts covering your property. The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is just such a machine.
The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is a very well designed snow blower that manages to pack everything you need to keep your driveway clear of snow in a surprisingly small package. This machine has all of the power you need to clear large amounts of heavy snow quickly and efficiently, and it is designed to deal with tough conditions well. The Toro Power Clear 621QZE has the kind of extra wide clearance that will allow you to finish clearing your driveway in fewer passes and less time, and it has a sufficiently high snow cut depth that will keep you well prepared for whatever accumulation winter might bring your way.
The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is made well, too. It has a durable composite plastic auger and an impact-resistant body. Its show chute is made of heavy plastic that will be less susceptible to cracking or breaking when you are clearing icy or slushy snow. The Toro Power Clear 621QZE has compact rear wheels that aid in steering, and that as well as other features make it very easy to use. It doesn’t weigh too much to maneuver it around the driveway, and it is small enough that you will have no trouble finding storage space for it.
The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is a residential gas powered single stage snow blower that weighs 89 pounds and has dimensions of 22 x 29 x 23 inches. But don’t be fooled by its size – it has a 163 cc overhead valve engine that provides plenty of snow clearing power to the rest of the machine.
|Dimensions||22 x 29 x 23 inches|
|Engine||163cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Clearing Width||21 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||13 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 1100 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 35 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°|
The Toro Power Clear 621QZE has a clearance width of 21 inches and a snow cut depth of 13 inches. This allows it to clear up to 1100 pounds of snow per minute, which is very high for a single stage residential snow blower. It means that it will have no trouble clearing a lot of snow from a large area quickly.
When you unpack the Toro Power Clear 621QZE, you will be pleasantly surprised by the fact that it comes already almost completely assembled. What little extra assembly there is – attaching the handle and snow chute – can be done in just a matter of minutes with basic household tools, and before you know it you will be looking at a snow blower that is ready to go. All you have to do then is add gasoline and oil and the Toro Power Clear 621QZE will be all set. Oil is included to make set-up even easier.
And because the Toro Power Clear 621QZE comes with a convenient electric start, you can get it going without having to wrestle with a hard to pull recoil starter cord. All you do is plug it into the nearest outlet, press the start button, and listen to the overhead valve engine roar to life. It’s clear as soon as you start the Toro Power Clear 621QZE up that it has a lot of power under the hood, and is well equipped to handle whatever snow accumulation might come your way during the winter.
That is because the Toro Power Clear 621QZE has the kind of extra wide clearance and solid snow cut depth that will keep it ready to clear an entire driveway of a fair amount of snow quickly and efficiently. When it’s freezing cold outside, you do not want to be spending one minute more than you absolutely have to on clearing the snow, and with the Toro Power Clear 621QZE you won’t have to. Not only does this snow blower pack a lot of clearing capacity, it is also very user friendly and easy to operate. And it is compact and lightweight enough that anyone should have no trouble maneuvering or finding enough storage space for it. The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is really a solid snow blower.
There are a lot of truly outstanding features to the Toro Power Clear 621QZE, not least of which is its outstanding snow clearing capacity, which is head and shoulders above the pack. There are very few single stage snow blowers that can compete in this or a number of other areas with the Toro Power Clear 621QZE. This machine packs a lot of power into a small space, and it is well equipped to deal with very tough conditions.
- Great clearance width : The clearance width is always going to be one of the first things you should judge a new snow blower by. That is because this feature more than any other will determine how quickly you will be able to finish clearing your driveway and get back inside where it’s warm. With a 21 inch clearing width, the Toro Power Clear 621QZE will allow you to finish the job in fewer passes and be back inside before you know it.
- Serious per-minute capacity : Not only does the Toro Power Clear 621QZE have an extra wide clearance, its per-minute snow clearing capacity goes right through the roof. At 1100 pounds per minute, the Toro Power Clear 621QZE is going to be moving a lot more snow than most other single stage snow blowers can, and it will be outperforming some two-stage snow bowers as well. That means that it will perform consistently under a variety of conditions. It can throw that snow up to 35 feet away, too.
- Convenient features : A wide clearance and serious snow clearing capacity only go so far in terms of determining whether a particular snow blower is really one of the best. It also needs to have lots of other great features that make operating it very convenient. And the Toro Power Clear 621QZE does. It has a revolutionary Quick Redirect feature that allows you to rotate the show chute quickly, so you won’t have to stop when you are turning a corner.
- Easy to use : Features like the Quick Redirect are just the beginning of the great design notes that make the Toro Power Clear 621QZE one of the easiest snow blowers to operate in its class. It has an ergonomically designed handle that protects your back and shoulders from getting strained while you use it. Then there’s the convenient push button start, not to mention the fact that the snow blower is light enough to maneuver easily as well.
- Compact size : With all of that snow clearing power, you might expect the Toro Power Clear 621QZE to be a big, bulky machine that takes up a lot of room in your garage or tool shed. But the fact is that it’s not. It has a very compact footprint that hardly takes up any space at all. This also means that it will be easier to turn corners with the Toro Power Clear 621QZE and generally easier to maneuver as well.
As you can see, the Toro Power Clear 621QZE really has a lot to offer its owner. This is a snow blower that has one of the highest clearance capacities you can find on a single stage model, and that is only the beginning. It is packed with convenient features, has an extra wide clearance and is compact and does not weigh so much that it will be difficult to use. The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is a great snow blower.
You may be surprised, after seeing all of those outstanding features, to find that the Toro Power Clear 621QZE has a few areas in which it is not quite perfect. It is still one of the best single stage snow blowers on the market today, and none of these Cons can take away from the fact that it has a clearance capacity that is well above average. But they are worth taking a look at all the same.
- May struggle with wet snow : It is a simple fact that single stage snow blowers tend to have difficulties dealing with wet, slushy snow. For that matter so do some two-stage snow blowers as well. That is because slushy snow is much denser and heavier than powdery snow, which makes it harder for the auger to push through the snow chute. The Toro Power Clear 621QZE will definitely get through it, but it may not throw it the full 35 feet.
- Engine could be tougher : The engine on the Toro Power Clear 621QZE is only 163 cubic centimeters, which for this snow blower’s purposes is more than adequate, but an extra forty or fifty cc would go a long way to adding a lot of extra power to the machine. While this isn’t a Con so much as it is a personal preference – I always want more power on my machines – I think it is worth mentioning if you also like a lot of power.
- Intake could be higher : The intake on the Toro Power Clear 621QZE is only 13 inches. I say “only” thirteen with the full understanding that this is going to be more than enough to tackle all but the heaviest snow fall. But I do think that a few more inches probably couldn’t hurt. When you get the rare blizzard that drops more than a foot of snow in your area, those extra inches could make a huge difference.
- Not CARB compliant : It is not at all uncommon for gas powered snow blowers to not be compliant with California Air Resources Board emissions standards, so I don’t think this is really a Con in the true sense. Those standards are tough, and it is hard to make a snow blower that is powerful and can live up to them. It’s unfortunate, though, that so many users will not have the opportunity to get to see what the Toro Power Clear 621QZE can do.
- It’s not cheap : The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is by no means an inexpensive snow blower, which may put off some readers who are simply looking for a snow blower that they can afford on a budget. The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is probably not that kind of snow blower. But for the price, I do think that you are getting a lot. This is a powerful, high performance snow blower that will stand up to tough conditions for many years.
I think that you will agree that these are not the kind of drawbacks that can really take anything away from the overall performance of the Toro Power Clear 621QZE. In spite of these Cons, it remains one of the very best single stage snow blowers on the market today, and in my opinion, if you can afford it, it’s worth every single penny. This is still a very solid snow blower that will last a long time.
Of course, I do not think that Pros and Cons lists alone provide all of the information you will need in order to make a truly informed decision about the Toro Power Clear 621QZE. As savvy shoppers everywhere know, in order to do that you need to do some comparison shopping. That is the only way to know if one snow blower really is demonstrably better than others on the market. Let’s take a look at a couple similar ones.
|Toro Power Clear
|Dimensions||22 x 29 x 23 inches||22 x 29 x 23 inches||22 x 36 x 22 inches|
|Start||Button push||Button push||Button push|
|Engine Manufacturer||Toro||Power Smart||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine||163cc – OHV||208 cc||205 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Clearing Width||21 inches||21 inches||22 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||13 inches||10 inches||12.5 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 1100 pounds||Up to 900 pounds||Up to 1100 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 35 feet||Up to 25 feet||Up to 30 feet|
|Drive||Manual push||Manual push||Manual push|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°||Manual 180°||Manual 200°|
|Wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels|
|Weight||89 pounds||95 pounds||104.7 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||1 year||2 years|
As you can see, the Toro Power Clear 621QZE has one of the highest snow clearing capacities you can find on a single stage snow blower. Of the three, it also has one of the widest clearances and the highest intake. And it can throw snow a lot farther than either of the other two machines. Yet it manages to pack all of that into the smallest footprint, and it weighs less than either of the others.
A snow blower like the Toro Power Clear 621QZE is going to be a pretty big investment – but it is also one that will last you for many winters to come. Still, I think that this is definitely a case in which you want to be absolutely certain that you’re getting the right product. So let’s take another look at the Pros and Cons.
- Great clearance width.
- Serious per-minute capacity.
- Convenient features.
- Easy to use.
- Compact size.
The clearance width and per-minute clearing capacity on the Toro Power Clear 621QZE are far and away its most impressive features. With this machine you will be well equipped to clear more snow in less time, and you will be prepared for whatever winter might be bringing your way.
- May struggle with wet snow.
- Engine could be tougher.
- Intake could be higher.
- Not CARB compliant.
- It’s not cheap.
I do not think that any of the first four Cons really take anything away from all of the great Pros the Toro Power Clear 621QZE has to offer: most of them are fairly common to single stage snow blowers. And while it is not a cheap snow blower, you get what you pay for – and in this case it’s quality and performance.
No matter where you live, winter is coming, and with it all of the heavy snow fall that anyone who has lived through more than a few winters knows to expect. That is something you definitely want to be prepared for, because the last thing you want is to be shoveling out your driveway in subzero temperatures. And the best way to be prepared is to get a snow blower that is up to the task.
The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is just that kind of snow blower. With a very high per-minute clearance capacity and the kind of clearing width and snow cut depth that you know will allow you to handle heavy snow fall on big areas, this is a snow blower that you can rely on. This is one of the best single-stage snow blowers I have seen, and I can definitely give it a high recommendation.
The Toro Power Clear 621QZE is not a cheap snow blower – but when you really think about it, you probably don’t want a cheap snow blower. Sure, you could get a bottom basement snow blower with a clearance rate price – but you know as well as I do that it is not going to perform well. A cheap snow blower is not going to have the ability to clear large amounts of heavy snow quickly, and after a few years, you will in all likelihood be experiencing a slower auger or broken parts. Everyone knows that you get what you pay for, so it is best to avoid the cheapest snow blowers unless you want to be buying a new one every few years. With the Toro Power Clear 621QZE, you are getting a high performance snow blower that is built to last. That is definitely worth the price.