Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL Review
|(Rated: 3.4 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Electric Snow Shovel, Best Snow Blower, Electric Snow Shovel Reviews, Snow Blower Reviews, Sylvania, Sylvania Snow Blowers,|
When you have a smaller property without a very wide driveway or particularly long walk, there is no reason to spend a lot of money on a big, bulky snow blower that is only going to take up a lot of room in your garage. There is such a thing as a tool that is too large to be efficient for smaller jobs. But at the same time, you do not want to wear your back out and strain your shoulders so much that you have to recover every time you clear your driveway of snow, as you would with a manual snow shovel. The perfect compromise between the two extremes, in my opinion, is the electric snow shovel. These brilliant little machines are small enough to easily store in a hall closet or in your front foyer, where they are always available whenever it snows. And they do the vast majority of the work associated with snow clearance for you.
The Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is an example of the kind of compact electric snow shovel that can help you clear snow from your driveway, walk, or patio quickly and efficiently. It is not going to take up a lot of room, wherever you decide to store it, because it has a small footprint. But don’t let its size fool you: this machine still packs a considerable amount of power. It has a 9 amp motor that can generate up to 3500 rpm, which allows it to clear up to 250 pounds of snow per minute and throw that snow up to 20 feet away.
Unlike a snow blower, the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is quiet and environmentally friendly, and it produces zero emissions at the point of use. It’s ergonomically designed, so you never have to worry about straining your back again. And it has an efficient 12 inch snow clearing width so you can finish the job more quickly and be back indoors sooner.
I will cover all of this snow shovel’s great features in more detail in the Pros section. And I’ll go over the areas in which it is less than perfect in the Cons section so you have a clear picture of its strengths and weaknesses. I’ll also provide a handy product comparison guide and discuss pricing in some detail.
The Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is an electric snow shovel that has overall dimensions of 13 x 13 x 55 inches. It has a push button starter that ensures quick starts every time. Its motor is a powerful 9 amps, and the shovel has an overall clearance width of 12 inches.
|Dimensions||13 x 13 x 55 inches|
|Clearing Width||12 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||4 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 250 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 20 feet|
The snow cut depth on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is four inches. It has a snow clearing capacity of up to 250 pounds per minute, and it can throw snow up to 20 feet away. Its handle is ergonomically designed, and the shovel weighs 17 pounds. It is under warranty for 2 years.
The Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is a compact electric snow shovel that is designed to have the maximum clearance width in the smallest overall package. And it really performs well in that category. The snow shovel has overall dimensions of just 13 x 13 x 55 inches, but it still manages to have a 12 inch clearance width. 12 inches is about average for an electric snow shovel, but many other shovels that have comparable clearance widths have much wider overall footprints, which can present problems with storage or maneuverability. Because the overall width on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is just one inch wider than its clearance, you will not have to worry about leaving snow behind on stairs or the edges of walkways when you use it, since it gets almost flush with the edge every time.
The Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL has a powerful 9 amp motor that generates 3500 rpm, which is enough power to easily clear up to 250 pounds of snow per minute and throw that snow up to 20 feet away. Along with its wide snow clearance, its pound per minute capacity allows the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL to help you quickly and efficiently clear small areas. You can move a lot of snow with this shovel, and clear walks and driveways in fewer passes. Fewer passes mean you will be indoors warming up sooner and out of the cold more quickly.
There are a few minor issues associated with the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL. It has a fairly short snow cut depth, which could be problematic in regions that experience heavier snow fall, and it is a bit heavy when compared to similar models. It also has many of the problems associated with the majority of electric snow shovels, including difficulty with wet snow. But overall this is a fairly solid electric snow shovel at a reasonable price.
There are a number of attractive features on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL. It is a powerful electric snow shovel, and it can clear a large volume of snow relatively quickly. It is quiet and produces zero emissions. And in spite of the fact that it has a 12 inch wide clearance, it still has a very compact footprint. In addition, the machine is ergonomically designed to alleviate back and shoulder strain. Let’s look at each of these Pros in more detail.
- Powerful 9 Amp motor generates 3500 rpm : The motor on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is 9 Amps and generates 3500 rpm. This is enough power to move up to 250 pounds of snow per minute, which is about average, and it can throw snow up to 20 feet away, which should be far enough to clear small driveways and short walks quickly. Higher pound per minute clearing capacity is important, because it ensures you will be finished with the job sooner and with less effort.
- Quiet and environmentally friendly : The Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL makes very little noise when you are using it, which your neighbors will appreciate, especially if you have to clear your driveway early in the morning before heading off to work. And the snow shovel produces zero emissions at the point of use, making it more environmentally friendly than gas guzzling snow blowers. This feature will help you to reduce your household’s overall carbon footprint without resorting to a manual shovel.
- Has a compact footprint : The overall footprint on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is just 13 x 13 x 55 inches, making it one of the smallest electric snow shovels available on the market today – especially considering its clearance width. This compact footprint means this snow shovel will be almost as easy to find storage space for as with a manual shovel: you can even keep it in a hall closet or tuck it in your front foyer so it is always readily available.
- Ergonomically designed : The Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL has a handle that is ergonomically designed with the intent to alleviate back or shoulder pain that is typically associated with shoveling snow. The handle also has a convenient front grip so you can easily use two hands to maneuver it around your driveway or walk. This kind of design is important, especially for older users like me, for whom back and shoulder pain is a bigger risk factor when we’re shoveling show.
- 12 inch clearing width : Even though its overall dimensions are just 13 x 13 inches, the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL still has a 12 inch clearing width. Wider clearances are important because they allow you to finish clearing you driveway or walk in fewer passes, which will take less time. Not only does this mean less work for you, it will also ensure you are not out in the cold longer than it’s safe to be. Instead, you can finish the job in minutes and get back indoors.
The overall design and dimensions of the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL give you the kind of wide clearance and high snow removal capacity you want on an electric snow shovel, but manage to provide them in a compact package that is easy to maneuver and store. This combination of compact size with high clearance ability is, in my opinion, what separates this electric snow shovel from the majority of similar models. You get convenience and ability wrapped up in one parcel.
There are a number of areas, however, in which the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL does not perform as well as I would like, in spite of its clearance ability and small size. It has a snow cut depth that is on the smaller side, which could be limiting, and it weighs a lot, which some users may find makes it difficult to use. Beyond that, however, its drawbacks are the kind that are fairly common to electric snow shovels of this caliber.
- Snow cut depth is only 4 inches : The snow cut depth on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is fairly short, which may present problems for some users. If you live in a region that routinely gets snow storms that drop more than five inches of snow, this is probably not the right electric snow shovel for you. But if you live in a region that only experiences periodic, light snow fall, then the snow cut depth may not present a problem.
- May have difficulty with wetter snow : This is a problem that tends to be rather common among electric snow shovels, unfortunately, and it is the case for the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL as well. In spite of the fact that it has a powerful 9 amp motor, it may not be able to throw wetter snow the full 20 feet, and it might also require you to put some extra effort into getting the shovel through that kind of snow.
- Is on the heavier side : While it has conveniently small overall dimensions, the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL weighs a full 17 pounds, which makes it one of the heavier electric snow shovels available on the market today. As a result, some users may find that it is overly bulky and too heavy to easily use, especially on porch stairs or sloping driveways. This may particularly be the case for users who are senior citizens or who do not have the strength level to lift that much weight.
- Only throws snow in one direction : This is another issue that is very common in electric snow shovels, and it is due to commonalities in their design, but it is still worth mentioning so that you are not surprised by it after your purchase. Because it only throws snow forward, it may be difficult to negotiate longer walkways or areas that face the house, which could get plastered with snow. And in high winds, be prepared for snow to blow back at you.
- Is limited in range by its power cord : While this is a common problem for plug in electric snow shovels, you should also be prepared for it, especially if you have a fairly long walkway. The Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL can only go as far as its extension cord will allow, which can be occasionally frustrating. On the other hand, though, unlike battery powered shovels, this one can run almost indefinitely while it is plugged in.
The snow cut depth can be a significant issue for users who live in regions of the United States that receive fairly heavy snow storms – those that routinely drop more than six inches. And the show shovel’s weight is a bit high, especially considering its size and clearance width. Apart from those two issues, the others are common to electric snow shovels, and while they certainly are worth mentioning, I do not think they will present significant problems.
In addition to Pros and Cons lists, which give you an idea of the qualities and drawbacks a particular product has to offer, the next best way to see whether a product is right for you is by doing some comparison shopping. This way, you can get a better picture of what the market as a whole has to offer, as well as how a given electric snow shovel stacks up as compared to its competition.
|Dimensions||13 x 13 x 55 inches||15 x 12 x 52 inches||14.5 x 13.5 x 46 inches|
|Start||Button push||Button push||Button push|
|Motor||9 amp||7.5 amp||9 amp|
|Clearing Width||12 inches||12 inches||13 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||4 inches||6 inches||6.5 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 250 pounds||Up to 300 pounds||Up to 400 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 20 feet||Up to 20 feet||Up to 25 feet|
|Weight||17 pounds||12.5 pounds||14.7 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
As you can see, the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL is the smallest of the three shovels, all of which have comparable clearance widths. But the other two shovels have considerably higher snow cut depths and have higher pound per minute capacities as well. This is in spite of the fact that the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL has one of the more powerful motors and weighs a bit more than either of the other two machines. Beyond these features, the three shovels are fairly similar.
A few areas are more important than others when you are looking into buying a new electric snow shovel. Chief among them are its clearance width, snow cut depth, pound per minute capacity and overall footprint. These features will determine the overall efficiency and ease of use of a given snow shovel. Let’s take another look at the Pros and Cons of the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL to see whether it delivers satisfactorily in these areas.
- Powerful 9 Amp motor generates 3500 rpm.
- Quiet and environmentally friendly.
- Has a compact footprint.
- Ergonomically designed.
- 12 inch clearing width.
The powerful motor on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL allows it to clear up to 250 pounds of snow per minute and throw it up to 20 feet away. And while its footprint is very compact, at just 13 x 13 x 55 inches, it nevertheless has a 12 inch wide clearance.
- Snow cut depth is only 4 inches.
- May have difficulty with wetter snow.
- Is on the heavier side.
- Only throws snow in one direction.
- Is limited in range by its power cord.
At the same time, the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL has a fairly short snow cut depth, at only four inches. This will limit the regions in which it can be used successfully, and all but rules out using it in areas that experience very heavy snow fall on a regular basis. Beyond that, I do not think the problems it presents will prove to be very serious.
When you have a small property, you do not need to purchase a bulky, expensive snow blower, but you also probably are sick and tired of shoveling snow by hand. When this is the case, you can opt for a convenient electric snow shovel. But there are a number of considerations to keep in mind when you are shopping for a new electric snow shovel. You want a machine that has a compact overall footprint so it’s easy to use and find storage space for it. But at the same time you do not want to sacrifice performance, which is defined primarily in terms of how much snow it can clear per minute, how wide its clearance is, and how tall its snow cut depth is. While the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL has a relatively short snow cut depth, it still manages to pack a 12 inch clearance width into a fairly compact package, and it can clear an average volume of snow per minute. Overall this is a good electric snow shovel for the right conditions.
The price tag on the Sylvania 3612SYG250OBL puts it at the higher end of the range for electric snow shovels with comparable clearance widths and snow clearing capacity, and this is especially true for shovels with shorter snow cut heights. While it will perform well under the right conditions, if you live in an area that experiences a lot of snow fall and gets occasional heavy storms in your area, you may not want to spend this kind of money on an electric snow shovel that may not be able to perform well. But if you want a compact machine that can clear light snow fall, the price tag is reasonable.