Swisher ZTR2460BS Review
|(Rated: 4.6 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Lawn Mower, Best Zero Turn Mower, Lawn Mower Reviews, Swisher, Swisher Lawn Mowers, Zero Turn Mower Reviews,|
There are plenty of reasons why buying a zero turn mower is the right choice when you are responsible for maintaining a large lawn or athletic field or if you own a professional landscaping company. These efficient grass cutting machines are designed to quickly and reliably take care of large swaths of lawn with minimal effort on the part of their users. They have a 360 degree turning radius that effectively spins on a central axis, which means they will be able to handle edging and obstacles such as trees or garden beds with ease. And zero turn mowers have the largest deck widths available in lawn care machines today, which allows you to finish the job in fewer passes and less time.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS is a powerful zero turn mower with a 24 horsepower, 724 cubic centimeter engine manufactured by Briggs & Stratton, and a three blade, 60 inch cutting deck. It has a full 360 degree turning radius and a low center of gravity for outstanding maneuverability. It has a fabricated cutting deck which is higher quality and will provide greater long term durability than a stamped cutting deck. Additionally it has a commercial grade, welded steel frame that will be tough enough to handle multiple big jobs for many years to come.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS offers a number of great features. First, because it is a zero turn mower, it is designed to provide the maximum maneuverability. Zero turn mowers are equipped with a differential drive system that allows the user to provide variable power to the rear wheel drive. By providing more power to one wheel than the other, the mower will move in a curved line; by providing power to one wheel while stopping the other, the mower will spin on its own axis. This provides the tightest possible turning radius and allows for greater maneuverability around obstacles and in tight corners.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS has a powerful 724cc Briggs & Stratton engine that provides 24 horsepower and a top speed of 8 mph. It has a massive 60 inch, 11 gauge cutting deck with three Gator mulching blades. The cutting deck is fabricated using welded steel to provide a long lasting and durable cut for many years to come. It has a top speed of 8 mph in both forward and reverse and a Rapid Response control system for improved comfort and control. Add to those features little bonuses like the cup holder, hour meter, and comfortable arm rests and you will find this is one of the most comfortable and convenient zero turn mowers available today.
The Swisher zero turn mower is equipped with a Hydro Gear hydrostatic transmission and Ogura manufactured clutch for reliable acceleration and control. The deck has a convenient foot assisted lift system for easier raising of the deck when you need to adjust the deck height. There are seven deck height positions between 1.5 and 4.5 inches to provide the best possible cut every time. Additional features include a full engine wrap, composite fenders with integrated storage capacity, a battery compartment, 12 volt power adapter and front and rear hitches.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS has a 60 inch cutting deck and dimensions of 76.8 x 65.9 x 44.1 inches. It weighs 790 pounds. It has a gas powered, Briggs & Stratton manufactured, 724cc engine that is designed to provide reliable power for multiple tough jobs. The Swisher has a hydrostatic transmission manufactured by Hydro Gear that provides top forward and reverse speeds of 8 mph along with an Ogura clutch. Its drive system is operated by the traditional dual lever array, in which one lever controls the power distributed to one of the two rear wheels. It has a 60 inch cutting deck fabricated with welded steel for greater durability and quality that supports three 11 gauge Gator mulching blades and a commercial grade fabricated steel frame. It has seven height settings between 1.5 and 4.5 inches that are controlled by a single lever and augmented by a foot assisted deck lift.
|Dimensions||76.8 x 65.9 x 44.1 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine Specs||724-cc Engine|
|Gas Tank||8.00 Galons|
|Number of Blades||3|
|Max Speed||8.0 mph forward / 8.0 mph reverse|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (7 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-1/2-inch|
|Wheel Size||12×6-inch front / 20×10-inch rear|
The Swisher zero turn mower has 12 x 6 inch front wheels and 20 x 10 inch rear wheels and a low center of gravity. Combined with its 360 degree turning radius, these features allow for the greatest possible maneuverability. It features rollers on the sides of the deck to prevent scratching the deck against walls or snagging chain link fences with the deck while you are mowing. It also has front and rear hitches for easy towing of yard carts or tying the mower down while you are transporting it between jobs. Accessories include a full engine wrap, composite fenders with integrated storage compartments, battery compartment and cup holder, hour meter, 12 volt power adaptor, and ergonomically designed, padded lever grips and a comfortable seat with a seat belt and armrests.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS is a zero turn riding mower with a 24 horsepower, 724cc, V-twin engine manufactured by Briggs & Stratton. The engine has a full engine wrap and a full pressure lube system with a spin on oil filter for optimal performance. The mower has a Hydro Gear 2800 hydrostatic transmission with an Ogura clutch, and it can mow at top speeds of 8 mph in both forward and reverse. The hydrostatic transmission and Ogura clutch allow for smooth transition from one speed to the next as well as easy shifting into curved or zero turn modes without stopping the mower. This means you will be able to easily turn tight corners and navigate around lawn obstacles such as trees or garden beds for a more efficient mowing experience.
The Swisher zero turn mower has a deck width of 60 inches, three 11 gauge Gator mulching blades that cut the grass into fine clippings for a cleaner look, and a foot assisted deck lifting system. The foot assist allows for easier transitioning from grass to hard surfaces and back again. The cutting deck is fabricated out of welded steel. Unlike stamped cutting decks, a fabricated, welded cutting deck will be much more durable and provide reliable cuts for many years of tough jobs.
The mower features seven height adjustment options between 1.5 and 4 inches, and they are easily adjusted using a single lever mounted on the side of the operator seat and within easy reach while you are operating the mower. Lawn care experts do not recommend that you cut grass to a height shorter than 1/3 of its initial height. Doing so can damage the grass and make it more susceptible to disease, the deleterious effects of heat waves, or infestations of weeds or crab grass. So it is really important to be sure you can adjust the height of the cutting blades easily in order to give your lawn the healthiest possible cut and keep it looking good all season long.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS has a commercial grade welded steel frame and a Roll Over Protection Safety (ROPS) bar, as well as a convenient seat belt so that you can strap in for safety while you are operating it. In addition it has heavy duty composite fenders with integrated storage capacity. It has a very comfortable seat with an 18 inch high seatback, padded, and ergonomically designed handles on the controls to keep from straining or chafing your hands while you are using it, and a convenient cup holder for hot days when you need a cool drink while you are working. It also features a usefully integrated 12 volt power adapter plug that allows you to pull over and break out your trimmer or edger for tight areas between closely planted trees or garden beds. And it is equipped with front and rear hitches for towing lawn trolleys or for tying it down in the bed of a truck or trailer.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS weighs 790 pounds, and has a low center of gravity and tough 12 x 6 inch front wheels and 20 x 10 inch rear wheels. These features, combined with its zero turn radius, hydrostatic transmission and Ogura clutch, make it one of the most maneuverable grass cutting machines available. It can easily maneuver right up to lawn obstacles like trees or garden beds, which can eliminate the need for edging or trimming on most jobs. And it can deal with tight corners with no problem, easily spinning 360 degrees on its own axis. You can literally turn the Swisher ZTR around on a dime and have it heading straight back in the opposite direction.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS is a well designed and manufactured machine that will provide a manicured and professional looking cut every time you use it. It can cut a lawn in a very short time and do so at an affordable price. This is an excellent zero turn mower for both residential and commercial use. If you are the caretaker of an athletic field, or if you own a landscaping business, or if you simply own a very large property that you wish to take care of on your own, the Swisher ZTR2460BS is a great choice for your needs.
There are number of reasons why purchasing a zero turn mower is a great idea if you have a very large property to care for or if you own your own landscaping business. A zero turn mower is simply the most efficient grass cutting machine there is today. With its ability to literally turn 360 degrees on a dime and without stopping or backing up, the zero turn mower can handle tight corners and obstacles with ease. There are several reasons why the Swisher ZTR2460BS is one of the best zero turn mowers on the market today for both residential and commercial use. It has a powerful engine, large cutting deck with three Gator mulching blades, quality craftsmanship, ergonomic and convenient add ons, and an affordable price. Here is a list of the pros for the Swisher ZTR2460BS that provides some more detail in each one of these areas. Overall the fantastic features on this mower make it one of the best zero turn mowers on the market today for the price tag.
- Powerful 724cc engine and hydrostatic transmission : In terms of sheer power, the Swisher ZTR2460BS has quite a lot of it. This zero turn mower comes equipped 24 horsepower, 724cc V-twin engine manufactured by Briggs & Stratton that has a full engine wrap and a full pressure lube system with a spin on oil filter for optimal performance. It also has a Hydro Gear 2800 hydrostatic transmission and Ogura clutch. The hydrostatic transmission, along with the new Rapid Response Control System, allows you to easily move between speeds, turn the mower, and spin it 360 degrees on its axis for tight corners. The Swisher ZTR2460BS has a top speed of 8 mph in forward or reverse. Along with its excellent maneuverability and wide cutting deck, this zero turn mower can cover large areas in no time, which means you will be done mowing your own lawn or, if you have a landscaping company, on to the next job as quickly as possible.
- 60 inch cutting deck with three Gator mulching blades : One of the great features of zero turn mowers is their gargantuan cutting deck size, and the Swisher ZTR2460BS is no exception. It boasts a 60 inch wide cutting deck with three 11 gauge Gator mulching blades that dice grass clippings into very small pieces for a much cleaner look after you are finished mowing. Wider cutting decks allow you to cut a lawn in fewer passes, and fewer passes mean less work and time spent on the job. The cutting deck is manufactured out of welded steel, which means it will be able to stand up to multiple tough jobs week after week without breaking down or needing repair. Combined with a top speed of 8 mph, the 60 inch cutting deck allows you to efficiently cut a lawn with an area of ½ an acre in less than 45 minutes.
- Low center of gravity for greater maneuverability : The Swisher ZTR2460BS is designed with a low center of gravity. Combine that with the fact that it weighs 790 pounds and is built with sturdy 12 x 6 inch front wheels and 20 x 10 inch rear wheels, and you are dealing with a zero turn mower that is highly maneuverable. That means it will have no trouble getting up close and personal to trees, walls, garden beds and fences, which will virtually eliminate the need for edging after the job is done. In addition the rollers mounted on the sides of the deck will prevent it from scratching against the sides of buildings or catching on chain link fences, so you can mow right alongside them without any worries. The result is a highly maneuverable and controlled zero turn mower that will make mowing even the most complex yards a breeze.
- Ergonomic design and safety features for greater comfort while mowing : The Swisher ZTR2460BS is designed with comfort and safety in mind. It features a padded seat with an eighteen inch back in the cockpit for greater support and a seat belt to make sure you do not slip out while on the job. The controls feature ergonomically designed and padded grips for more comfort while you are steering the mower, and ensure that you will not wind up with sore or blistered hands after using it all day if you are a professional landscaper. There is a roll bar over the cockpit for protection against the possibility of the Swisher tipping over while you are using it, and a very low center of gravity that also helps to prevent rollovers in case of an accident or uneven terrain. All told this mower meets high safety standards and is designed with the comfort of the user in mind.
- Multiple additional features that improve the total experience : In addition to the standard features one would expect to have on a zero turn mower, the Swisher ZTR2460BS has a number of additional perks that are designed to make using this machine as pleasant an experience as possible. It is equipped with a cup holder for carrying a cool beverage for when you are working on hot days to make sure you do not get dehydrated. It also has a 12V adapter plug that allows you to use the Swisher to power additional power tools such as edgers or hedge trimmers. It has front and rear hitches for towing garden trolleys or for tying it down in a trailer for transport between jobs. Swisher thought of practically everything when they designed this model.
Swisher put a lot of thought into designing and building the new ZTR2460BS to make sure that it is one of the best zero turn mowers available in its price range on the market today. This model has a powerful Briggs & Stratton engine with a full wrap, 24 horsepower and 724 cubic centimeters, along with hydrostatic transmission and an excellent clutch. These features give it the kind of power required for repeated use on professional or residential jobs all summer long. It also boasts a durable, fabricated and welded steel frame, as opposed to a stamped frame. That means it will be tough enough to handle the most difficult jobs. And its wide cutting deck size and durable 11 gauge Gator mulching blades will also be able to tackle the toughest grasses out there with ease. It is designed with convenience and safety for the user in mind, and has a comfortable seat and ergonomic controls, as well as additional accessories such as the cup holder or 12V adaptor plug. These and other features are designed to make the experience of using the Swisher ZTR2460BS one of the most comfortable and enjoyable you can get from a zero turn mower today.
There are not many negative things to say about the Swisher ZTR2460BS. That is probably because the craftsmanship of this model is exceptionally durable, and the mower is definitely on the cutting edge of what is out there today. Still it is worthwhile to point out a few areas that you may find to be problematic if you do purchase this mower. Taken individually, none of these cons are nearly as serious as some of those I have encountered on other mowers I have reviewed elsewhere on this site. Still, certain inconveniences can add up and become a nuisance, especially if you intend to use a product like this one heavily or in a professional setting. Therefore it is important to take stock of this list of cons and decide if any of them are enough to make you decide to walk away from this mower. Better to do so now than to realize that they are actually problematic for you six months or a year from now.
- Mower only has one option for grass clippings management : While this is not particularly uncommon for commercial grade zero turn mowers, it can pose a problem in different situations. If you are a residential user and you want the option of bagging your grass clippings for later disposal, or if you want a finer mulch than the Gator blades provide, this is not the mower for you. Likewise if you are a lawn care professional and you have different clients who demand different management styles for their grass clippings, you will want a zero turn mower that provides versatile options. Unfortunately there is not even an optional accessory available on the Swisher ZTR2460BS for bagging or mulching. This mower will discharge the grass clippings back into the lawn every time. If that is not a problem for you, then all the better, but if it is a problem, I recommend you look at some of the other zero turn mowers reviewed on this site.
- Mower has rather large dimensions, which affect storage and transport : Let’s face it: zero turn mowers are the biggest ones out there, and the Swisher is no exception to this. It has dimensions of 76.8 x 65.9 x 39.9 inches. That’s more than six feet by five feet of storage space that this mower will take up in your garage – and if you have a two car garage, that effectively eliminates one spot. While this mower will fit in the back of most professional grade pickup trucks, it will be difficult to fit much more in the truck bed along with it. So if you are shopping for a zero turn mower to add to your fleet of lawn mowers you use in your lawn care business, you will have to contend with the fact that this one will be taking up a lot of room. You may have to invest in a trailer in order to carry it along with your other mowers and tools from one job to the next. Ultimately, you should be aware of the space you have available and shop accordingly.
- The warranty is only good for two years : Unlike other zero turn mower companies, Swisher only offers a two year warranty, which is pretty much the industry minimum. Other models (see comparison chart below) offer three year or even lifetime warranties on their products. This can be especially important if you are shopping for a zero turn mower for your professional lawn care business, in which case you will be putting it through a lot of work in a short period of time. You will want to be sure that if it does break down, the company will repair or replace your business investment at little or no charge. Otherwise your purchase can wind up costing you more money than it may have been worth. While this mower is designed for durability and performance, a little long term insurance against unforeseen accidents or breakdowns is never a bad thing.
- No front bumper to protect the mower from collision : When you are cutting a lawn that has tall or dense grass, you may not always be able to see debris or obstacles in your path. This is where a front bumper can be very important: it prevents you from running over obstacles and potentially damaging the mower blades on them. It is also good as a general safety mechanism, and protects the mower from collision when you are moving it in and out of the garage or on and off the trailer. It is surprising that Swisher did not provide this relatively common safety feature, considering the number of other safety and comfort features it provided as a matter of course, such as the foot assisted deck lift and composite fenders with integrated storage.
- The mower does not handle hills very well : Despite its powerful 24 horsepower, 724cc engine and low center of gravity, the Swisher ZTR2460BS does not handle hills very well. It can deal with uneven terrain just fine thanks to its 12 x 6 inch front and 20 x 10 inch rear wheels and seven cutting height settings. But on even small hills, if they are sufficiently steep enough, the mower has problems. Of course, Swisher anticipated the worst of hill related problems by installing the seat belt and safety roll bar, but what I am talking about has more to do with the mower’s ability to make it up and over steep hills. If you do have a lot of hills on your property, you may want to consider purchasing a different zero turn mower.
All that said, it is fair to say that these are not particularly egregious design flaws, and generally speaking, they are minor drawbacks in what is overall a very good zero turn mower. If you are equipped to store a larger zero turn mower, and if you do not mind only having one grass clippings management option, or if you do not encounter hilly terrain often while you are mowing the lawn, then these drawbacks will not really pose any problem for you. The lack of a front bumper is problematic, but not all zero turn mowers have a front bumper, and you may already be used to operating one without it. Finally there is the warranty issue; while two years is industry standard for walk behind mowers, if you are using a zero turn mower for professional lawn care jobs, then you will be putting it through a lot of wear and tear. While the Swisher ZTR2460BS is designed for durability and performance in order to stand up to such use, you may still want to consider looking for a mower with a longer warranty.
Once you have narrowed down your shopping list to a particular kind of lawn mower, and decided on a price range and category, you are then faced with the most difficult part: comparison shopping. One of the best ways to get a full picture of how a mower performs against its competition is to simply stack it up against its competitors and see where one model or another provides superior features. We can get a comprehensive idea of where one mower is better than its competitors or lacking in certain areas with direct comparisons to at least two other models of similar build and price range. In order to help you do this quickly and easily, I have provided a table that compares the Swisher ZTR2460BS with the Husqvarna RZ5424 and the Stanley 62ZS.
|Dimensions||76.8 x 65.9 x 44.1 inches||75.1 x 67.5 x 39.9 inches||83.1 x 64.5 x 41.8 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton||Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|Engine Specs||724-cc Engine||FR Series
|Gas Tank||8.00 Galons||3.50 Galons||7.50 Galons|
|Deck Size(cutting swath)||60-inch||54-inch||62-inch|
|Number of Blades||3||3||2|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Side discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Side discharge|
|Max Speed||8.0 mph forward
8.0 mph reverse
|6.5 mph forward
3.5 mph reverse
|10.0 mph forward
10.0 mph reverse
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (7 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)||Single lever (8 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-1/2-inch||1-1/2- to 4-1/2-inch||1-1/2- to 5-inch|
|Wheel Size||12×6-inch front
|Weight||790 pounds||640 pounds||1100 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||3 years||Lifetime|
As you can see, the Swisher ZTR2460BS has the smallest engine of the three, at 724cc, while the Husqvarna has a slightly larger one and the Stanley packs a whopping 852 cc engine. All three have hydrostatic transmissions. The Swisher has the largest gas tank, which should translate to a longer run time without refueling, especially as it has a small engine. The Stanley has the widest deck size, although the Swisher is a close second, and only two inches narrower. The Swisher also has three blades to the Stanley’s two blades. The Husqvarna is the only one of the three zero turn mowers to provide multiple grass clippings management options. The Stanley is the fastest, with a top speed of 10mph, although the Swisher is again close behind at 8.0 mph. The Stanley is the largest as well as the heaviest mower, which could be problematic for storage and transport. Finally the Swisher has the shortest warranty of the three, while the Stanley provides a lifetime warranty.
Whether you own a private residence that has a very large lawn for you to maintain, or if you are in charge of taking care of an athletic field at a school, or if you own a professional lawn care business, a zero turn mower will be a great choice for efficient, powerful lawn mowing. These mowers have the widest cutting decks of any mower, and their efficient maneuvering and high speeds mean you will be able to take care of a lawn that is an acre or more very quickly. And if you own a lawn care business, you want a mower that is durable and reliable, so that you can use it on multiple jobs a day for many years to come. Overall, Swisher has designed a lawn tractor that is optimal for any of these scenarios in the ZTR2460BS. Let’s revisit the pros and cons one more time.
- Powerful 724cc engine and hydrostatic transmission.
- 60 inch cutting deck with three Gator mulching blades.
- Low center of gravity for greater maneuverability.
- Ergonomic design for greater comfort while mowing.
- Multiple additional features that improve the overall experience.
Considering each of these features, you can see that the Swisher ZTR2460BS provides a number of advantages to the user with a lot of grass to cut. It boasts a powerful 24 HP, 724cc engine with a full engine wrap, designed by Briggs & Stanton. It has a 60 inch cutting deck with three Gator mulching blades that turn grass clippings into a fine mulch for a neater, better looking lawn. It has a low center of gravity for greater maneuverability. It boasts an ergonomic design and multiple safety considerations for better comfort while mowing. And in addition it has several accessories such as integrated fenders with storage capacity, a cup holder, and a 12V adaptor plug for powering additional lawn care tools. All in all this is an excellent zero turn mower.
- Only one grass clippings management option.
- Mower has large dimensions, which require extra storage space.
- Warranty is only good for two years.
- No front bumper to protect mower from collision.
- Does not handle hills very well.
While these are certainly drawbacks that other zero turn mowers may offer solutions to, it is important to note that none of these cons represent poor design or craftsmanship. In spite of these drawbacks the Swisher ZTR2460BS remains a well built, durable and long lasting zero turn mower. However if you will need multiple grass clippings management options for various clients or your own residential needs, if you think this mower will be too large for you to conveniently store it, or if you have hilly terrain that you have to mow, then this may not be the zero turn mower that best suits your needs. Likewise if you place a lot of importance on having a lifetime warranty or if you are not used to zero turn mowers that do not have a front bumper to prevent damage from collisions or debris, you may wish to consider another mower.
This zero turn mower is a fantastic machine for allowing its user to cut a large amount of grass in a short period of time. The fact that it is literally able to turn on a dime, thanks to a variable drive mechanism in the rear wheels, makes the zero turn mower the most maneuverable lawn mower in existence today. And the fact that these mowers have the widest cutting decks, can employ multiple blades, and have top speeds that are much faster than other riding or walk behind mowers allows them to finish jobs quickly and efficiently. They are excellent for lawn care professionals, athletic facility ground crews, or private citizens with large properties.
The Swisher ZTR2460BS provides all of the advantages of the traditional zero turn mower, and it is designed with three things in mind: safety, comfort and efficiency. It has a number of safety features that make sure it meets the highest safety standards. It has ergonomic design and a number of thoughtful accessories that ensure the user is enjoying the most comfortable experience possible while using it. And it is designed with the kind of power, wide cutting deck, and mowing speeds that make it one of the most efficient zero turn mowers available in its price range today.
Zero turn mowers have a very wide price range these days, and can run as much as ten thousand dollars or more. The Swisher ZTR2460BS tends to fall on the more affordable end of this range, and is usually priced at below five thousand dollars. While there are certainly cheaper zero turn mowers available on the market, it is worth considering the craftsmanship and design that this mower offers. It is not made out of stamped parts, unlike other zero turn mowers, but instead has a frame and cutting deck fabricated out of welded steel. That means it will be much more durable, solid, and longer lasting than many cheaper models. It also has a number of innovative features designed to make cutting the lawn a much more efficient and comfortable experience. Opting for cheaper zero turn mowers will save you money up front, but they will probably not get the job done as efficiently or last as long, both of which will cost you more money in the long run.