Husqvarna YTH23V48 Review
|(Rated: 4.2 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Lawn Mower, Best Riding Lawn Mower, Husqvarna, Husqvarna Lawn Mowers, Lawn Mower Reviews, Riding Lawn Mower Reviews,|
If you own or are responsible for maintaining a very large property with over a half an acre of grass to cut, keeping it looking manicured and attractive can be a lot of work. You have to not only make sure the lawn stays free of weeds and crab grass, but that it is also fertilized and given the right amount of lawn feed as well as watered properly. In addition, keeping it cut can be a lot of work. That is why owning a riding mower for lawns of this size is really the best thing you can do. And if you want a riding mower that is compact, reliable, and affordable, and powerful enough to provide excellent performance and great results, I recommend that you consider the Husqvarna YTH23V48 lawn tractor for all of your lawn care needs.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has plenty of great features that make it the perfect option for the homeowner who has a big property to look after. It has a Briggs & Stratton manufactured, 727 cubic centimeter engine with Intek design and a Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission that together provides enough power to simultaneously run three cutting blades on its 48 inch cutting deck and drive the tractor at a top speed of 5.2 mph. It provides three grass clippings management options out of the box, and has six height options between 1.5 and four inches. Add to that the fact that it is competitively priced, and you are looking at a great purchase.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has a lot of great features to offer. First, because it is a lawn tractor with a tough 727 cubic centimeter engine, manufactured by Briggs & Stratton with high performance Intek design, and a Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission, you know it is a powerful tractor. Plus it has a massive 48 inch cutting deck with three cutting blades for optimum performance that will let you knock out the job of cutting a large lawn efficiently and in a short amount of time. You won’t be spending all day on your lawn care duties with this tractor. And because the cutting deck features Husqvarna’s patented air induction technology, air flow within the deck is improved, allowing for a clean, consistent cut every time you mow the lawn.
The Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission provides smooth shifting between variable forward and reverse speeds. The transmission is pedal operated, which allows you to keep both hands on the steering wheel for optimal driving control while you are shifting. The lawn tractor has a top forward speed of 5.2 mph and a top reverse speed of 2.9 mph, and it also has a convenient and efficient cruise control feature that allows the operator to focus on giving the grass the best possible cut rather than maintaining a constant speed. Along with its 48 inch cutting deck width, this lawn tractor can cut a lawn with an area of up to 1 acre in well under an hour when running at top speed. That’s pretty fast, and it will allow you to be relaxing and enjoying your weekend with your kids a lot sooner.
This lawn tractor has a 15 inch high seat back with convenient slide adjustment and ample padding for greatest comfort while you are using it, and the ergonomically designed steering wheel can be angled for optimal driver positioning. The steering wheel is also padded for greatest comfort. The tractor is designed with a step-through cockpit that ensures easy and comfortable mounting and dismounting. Its ergonomic design makes using the Husqvarna YTH23V48 a hassle free and comfortable experience.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has a number of accessory options available, including a 40 inch tow dethatcher for improved thatch removal, a spike aerator for improving your lawn’s drainage and fertilizer penetration, and a polly roller that you can fill with sand or water and use to level uneven ground or pack down freshly planted grass seed. There is also a triple bagging accessory available with three polyester mesh bags that can hold up to three bushels of grass clippings each. These are designed for ease of use and are perfect for big jobs.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has a 48 inch deck width and dimensions of 69.2 x 59.7 x 41.4 inches. It has a gas powered, Briggs & Stratton manufactured, twin V-cylinder 727cc engine that has enough power to prove reliable and consistent on even the most demanding jobs. It has a pedal operated Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission, a top forward speed of 5.2 mpg and a top reverse speed of 2.9 mph. The tractor shifts easily from one speed to the next, and it has a cruise control feature that lets the operator set the desired speed and then focus on making sure the grass is being perfectly cut. The tractor has six cutting height positions between 1.5 and 4 inches, and the cutting height is controlled by a single lever that is conveniently located on the rear fender of the tractor.
|Dimensions||69.2 x 59.7 x 41.4 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine Specs||Intek – 727-cc Engine|
|Gas Tank||3.00 Galons|
|Number of Blades||3|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Max Speed||5.2 mph forward / 2.9 mph reverse|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (6 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-inch|
|Wheel Size||15×6-inch front / 20×8-inch rear|
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has three cutting blades mounted on a cutting deck equipped with air induction mowing technology, which optimizes airflow within the cutting deck, allowing for a cleaner, more consistent cut every time. It has three grass clipping management options: mulching back into the lawn, bagging for later disposal, or side discharge. Accessories include a nine bushel triple bagger with durable polyester mesh collection bags for grass clippings on bigger jobs. There are also options to purchase other accessories such as a dethatcher, polly roller and aerator, all of which are towed behind the tractor. The tractor’s rear wheels are 20 inches tall by eight inches wide, and its front wheels are 15 inches tall by six inches wide. Combined with its compact size and weight of 476 pounds, the Husqvarna YTH23V48 can negotiate uneven terrain easily, and it has enough power to tow lawn trolleys with heavy loads. Every aspect of this lawn tractor makes it powerful and durable while remaining comfortable and easy to use.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 is a gas powered riding lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton manufactured 727cc V-twin cylinder engine and a hydrostatic transmission manufactured by Tuff Torq. The robust engine drives the tractor as well as three cutting blades on a huge 48 inch cutting deck that is designed with an original air induction system that consistently provides an even, manicured cut. The transmission allows you to transition smoothly from one speed to another using convenient foot pedals, and the top forward speed of 5.2 mph and top reverse speed of 2.9 mph mean you will have no trouble finishing cutting your lawn quickly so that you can get on with enjoying your weekend sooner.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has a comfortably padded seat with a high fifteen inch seat back and a convenient slide adjustment to ensure that you are always riding in comfort. The step-through cockpit allows for easy mounting and dismounting of the mower, and the steering wheel is designed to be angled for maximum comfort. Along with the convenient cruise control, the adjustable seat and ergonomically designed cockpit make sure your experience of cutting the grass just got a lot more comfortable.
This lawn tractor provides six height adjustment options between 1.5 and 4 inches that are conveniently adjusted using a single lever mounted on the rear fender. Lawn care experts recommend that you never cut your grass to a height shorter than 1/3 of its original height, because doing so can damage the grass and make it more vulnerable to disease, the effects of drought, or invasions by weeds or crab grass. Therefore it is important to make sure you are able to adjust the height of your mower easily to deliver the best cut to your lawn and keep it looking great all summer long.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 comes equipped with three grass clippings management options right out of the box – you won’t have to pay extra after the initial purchase to get them. You can engage the side discharge to leave tidy rows of grass as you mow the lawn. You can engage the mulching plug to chop up clippings so that they can decompose back into the lawn, adding nitrogen to the soil and shielding the lawn from diseases, weeds, and pests. Or you can bag clippings for convenient disposal or composting later. Along with other accessories, you can opt for a triple bagger that holds up to nine bushels of grass clippings in polyester mesh bags for easy disposal on bigger lawn care jobs.
In addition, you can buy a number of other excellent lawn care accessories. These include a tow behind 40 inch dethatcher that is useful for breaking up detritus that has built up at the upper layers of the soil, a lawn aerator for improving air circulation, drainage and fertilizer penetration, or a polly roller that you can fill with sand or water and use to level uneven ground or pack down new grass seed or sod.
If you own a big property and you are responsible for cutting more than a half an acre of grass, you simply won’t be able to finish the job efficiently with a walk behind mower. You need to purchase a riding mower. Lawn tractors are a great option for residential use, especially for homeowners who want a machine that can provide more than just grass cutting. With its many accessories, powerful engine and 48 inch, three blade cutting deck, the Husqvarna YTH23V48 is one of the best options for homeowners who take residential lawn care and gardening seriously. This lawn tractor allows for a beautiful, well manicured cut every time, and also provides for more advanced lawn care techniques that keep your lawn looking beautiful and healthy for years to come. And it is priced competitively to make sure you are not breaking the bank to get that kind of performance.
There are a lot of reasons why buying a lawn tractor like the Husqvarna YTH23V48 can be a great idea. This is especially the case if your property has more than a half acre of grass that needs to be cut. A riding mower or lawn tractor makes taking care of such a large property a much easier job, because they have more power and wider deck sizes that allow the job to get done much faster. The Husqvarna YTH23V48 offers plenty of advantages that other lawn tractors simply don’t have at the same price, including its powerful engine, huge three blade cutting deck with original air induction technology, three grass management options, additional lawn care accessories, and competitive price. In the following list of pros, I will go into a bit more detail on each of these.
- Powerful 727cc engine and Tuff Torq transmission : In terms of sheer power, the Husqvarna YTH23V48 has a lot. The lawn tractor has a powerful 727cc engine with V-twin cylinders, manufactured by Briggs & Stratton, a leader in the industry. And it has a high performance hydrostatic transmission manufactured by Tuff Torq. The hydrostatic transmission allows you to easily shift between different speeds using conveniently located foot pedals. The transmission and engine combine to provide a top forward speed of 5.2 mph and a top reverse speed of 2.9 mph. Along with the massive cutting deck, which I will discuss more below, this lawn tractor can cover a huge amount of ground in very little time. That means you will be able to finish mowing your lawn a lot sooner than you otherwise could. And after you finish your yard duties with the Husqvarna YTH23V48, the weekend is wide open.
- Three blade, 48 inch deck with air induction technology : The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has a massively wide cutting deck that measures a full 48 inches. In terms of lawn tractors this is well above average. Add to this the fact that it has three durable cutting blades and innovative air induction technology that provides improved air flow within the cutting deck. These features combine to make sure you are getting a consistent and reliably clean cut every time you use this lawn tractor so that your lawn is always looking its best. A lawn tractor with a 48 inch deck like this Husqvarna can finish cutting a lawn in less than half the time you could complete the job with even the biggest walk behind mowers. Along with its top speed of 5.2 mph, the wide deck allows you to quickly cut a lawn with an area of 1 acre in well under an hour.
- Three grass management options included : It is not uncommon for many of Husqvarna’s competitors to cut corners in the accessories they provide, particularly in terms of the grass management options available for the initial purchase price. Having extra grass management options is very important, especially if you intend to use the lawn tractor for a diverse array of jobs around your property. This lawn tractor has three grass management options included right out of the box: side discharge, mulching back into the lawn, and bagging for later disposal. And Husqvarna provides these without jacking up their prices. This allows you greater freedom to choose what you will do with your grass clippings without beating up on your wallet. Choice and affordability: what more could you ask for from a manufacturer?
- Additional lawn care accessories available for even healthier lawns : The Husqvarna YTH23V48 also provides additional accessory options for those homeowners who want to get serious about their lawn care. You can opt to purchase a 40 inch tow behind lawn dethatcher, which can be used to break up detritus and rhizome growth at the upper layers of the soil for improved lawn health. There is also an aerator, which can punch deep holes in the lawn, improving air circulation, drainage, and fertilizer penetration. There is a polly roller, which you can fill with sand or water and use to level uneven terrain or tamp down freshly sown grass seed. Finally there is an optional triple bagger that comes equipped with three polyester mesh bags that combine to hold up to nine bushels of grass clippings for bigger jobs.
- Competitively priced : Lawn tractor prices can run the gamut from less than $1500 for bare bones, budget models, all the way up to nine or ten thousand dollars at the highest end of the range. The Husqvarna YTH23V48 comes in towards the low end of the price range, but it does so without sacrificing performance or durability. You still get a huge 48 inch cutting deck width, powerful Briggs & Stratton engine, and ergonomic design, without having to spend more than $2000. That is very affordable in terms of high performance lawn tractors. You will not have to worry about blowing your entire home and garden budget for the year if you opt to but a Husqvarna YTH23V48, but you will still have a great lawn tractor that will perform reliably for years to come.
Husqvarna also offers a three year limited warranty on the YTH23V48YTH21K6, so you can be confident that any problems you do encounter with this lawn tractor will be swiftly resolved by the company. But the high performance Briggs & Stratton 727cc engine, the Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission and the overall durability and reliability of Husqvarna lawn care machines mean that it is not likely you will need to service this tractor while it is still under warranty and it should last for many years after it expires. The Husqvarna YTH23V48 is one of the best lawn tractors available on the market today for its price range. The pros I have detailed above mean that it is one of the toughest and most dependable lawn tractors out there. Its ergonomic design, fast speeds, wide cutting deck with high performance air induction mean that it will consistently provide great cuts to your lawn. In addition, the optional accessories for additional lawn care such as aerating or de-thatching the sod make the Husqvarna YTH23V48 an excellent machine for all-inclusive landscaping and lawn care.
However, there is no such thing as the perfect lawn tractor. There are drawbacks to every model, including this one, and so despite all of its wonderful features, I do recommend that you familiarize yourself with some of the more common problems associated with this tractor. That way you will have a comprehensive idea of what you are getting for your money. With such a competitive price, and with such a great engine, huge deck size and reliable performance, there are still some areas where the Husqvarna YTH23V48 is a bit lacking. In order to help you get the fullest possible picture of what this tractor has to offer, I am also providing a detailed list of some of the biggest areas that prove problematic on the Husqvarna YTH23V48. By evaluating them along with the pros, you can get a good sense of whether this is the right lawn tractor for your lawn care needs.
- Mulching option leaves clumps of grass on the lawn : In order for a mulching accessory to provide the best possible mulch to your lawn, it is important that it is delivering an even distribution of finely chopped grass clippings. The Husqvarna YTH23V48 falls short of doing this, and tends to either leave two ribbons of mulched clippings behind it if the grass is dry, or clumps of mulched clippings if the grass is damp. This can have the opposite effect you want mulching to have – if these clumps are not raked out, they can starve the grass underneath them of sunlight and water, effectively leaving brown patches on your lawn. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix for this problem, especially since you are probably not going to want to be raking up to an acre of grass out every time you mow the lawn. What you can do is always make sure your grass is well dried before you engage the mulching option, and cut your lawn in a cross hatch fashion to spread out the mulched clippings as much as possible. Of course, doing so means you will be spending twice as long cutting your grass.
- The 48 inch deck does not cut well on curved stretches : While the wide cutting deck performs just fine if the mower is moving in a straight line, its cutting width tends to diminish while moving in a curved line and declines precipitously when going around tighter corners. This can cause problems around the amount of time you are spending on your lawn. A narrower deck width – especially if it is variably wider or narrower depending on how it is being steered – will effectively force you to make more passes to finish the job. More passes means more time, and can be frustrating, especially when you are expecting your tractor to be wide enough to finish the job quickly. If you have a lawn that has been landscaped to be rolling with wide, gentle curves, you may not want to purchase a lawn tractor with a 48 inch cutting deck width if efficiency is very important to you. But if your lawn is mostly cut in straight back and forth lines this shouldn’t be a huge problem.
- The lawn tractor does not handle tight turns very well : The biggest area where lawn tractors fall short of the kind of performance that zero turn mowers offer is on tight corners, and the Husqvarna YTH23V48 is no exception in this area. Because the cutting deck is placed between large front and rear wheels, and the front wheels of a lawn tractor have a limited turning radius, lawn tractors do not turn as efficiently as zero turn mowers. This can be a problem if you are looking for a machine specifically to handle tight corners efficiently. If your property is more or less an open field that does not require lots of tight cornering around obstacles such as trees or garden beds, then tight cornering is not terribly important. This is especially true if you also are looking for a machine that offers more than simple grass cutting. But if your lawn has a more complex design, or if there are lots of trees and other obstacles on your property, you may want a different machine.
- Tow hitch is not very durable and can weaken over time : The tow hitch in the rear of the lawn tractor is made of stamped steel rather than fabricated, welded steel. It is simply a hole punched into the frame of the tractor, to which the operator is expected to attach a cable or hook. If you intend to use this tractor for towing heavy loads on a regular basis, or else want to purchase one of the optional lawn care accessories – all of which are towed from the rear – the design and manufacture of this piece could present problems for you. Over time, it will be weakened by repeated use, and will eventually need reinforcement in order to prevent more permanent damage such as cracking or breaking. If you get out in front of this problem before it gets out of hand, it should remain manageable. You can also bolt or weld a thicker plate to the stock plate to solve this problem.
- No anti scalping wheels on the cutting deck : Anti scalp wheels are designed to support the cutting deck on larger mowers, and they help to keep the deck height even when you are maneuvering over variable or uneven terrain such as hills or divots in the lawn. Without anti scalping wheels, there is a danger that the cutting blades will get too close to the ground on uneven terrain, and can “scalp” the grass there. Cutting the grass too short can result in dieback or brown spots where it occurs. If your property has terrain that is fairly regular and uniform, then you should not be deterred from buying this mower because it does not have anti scalping blades. But if your lawn is on rolling terrain, this drawback could be a significant problem that could result in long term, repeated damage to your lawn.
It is important to bear in mind that none of these cons, taken individually, say anything about the overall design or manufacturing quality of the Husqvarna YTH23V48. It is a durable, reliable lawn tractor with a powerful engine and optimal design that can stand up to repeated use on the toughest jobs. These cons are simply descriptions of particular scenarios in which this lawn tractor may not be the optimal choice. But if you are the owner of a large property with a relatively uniform lawn that does not have too many tight corners or obstacles on it, the Husqvarna YTH23V48 remains a great choice for you.
In addition to considering my analysis of the pros and cons of this lawn tractor, another great way to understand the advantages and disadvantages of the Husqvarna YTH23V48 is by comparing it to similar models in the same price range. That way you can better understand how this lawn tractor stacks up to its competitors. Every lawn tractor on the market will have focused design and manufacturing decisions to shine in one area or another. By comparing the specs of a few lawn tractors, you can get an excellent idea of the areas where each one outshines its competition or where each is more or less the same as its competitors. In this way you can develop a good picture of what features are best suited to your lawn care needs, and determine which model offers the most features that are right for your lawn care needs. To help you do this, I have provided a table that compares the Husqvarna YTH23V48 with the Poulan Pro PB17542LT and the Husqvarna YTH2042.
|Dimensions||69.2 x 59.7 x 41.4 inches||72.8 x 34.5 x 45.1 inches||69.2 x 49.0 x 41.4 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton||Briggs & Stratton||Briggs & Stratton|
|Transmission||Tuff Torq||Tuff Torq||Tuff Torq|
|Gas Tank||3.00 Galons||1.50 Galons||2.50 Galons|
|Deck Size (cutting swath)||48-inch||42-inch||42-inch|
|Number of Blades||3||2||2|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Side discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Max Speed||5.2 mph forward
2.9 mph reverse
|5.1 mph forward
1.6 mph reverse
|5.2 mph forward
2.9 mph reverse
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (6 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-inch||1-1/2- to 4-inch||1-1/2- to 4-inch|
|Wheel Size||15×6-inch front
|Weight||476 pounds||500 pounds||419 pounds|
|Warranty||3 years||2 years||3 years|
As you can see, the Poulan Pro is the largest of the three lawn tractors, but the Husqvarna YTH23V48 has the biggest engine – at 727 cubic centimeters – as well as the largest gas tank and widest deck size, at 48 inches with three cutting blades. This means that the YTH23V48 will be able to cut an area of the same size a bit more quickly than the Poulan Pro or the YTH2042 can, and its engine should support a more durable and powerful cutting deck. All three models have a Briggs & Stratton engine and Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission. Only the Husqvarna models offer three grass clippings management options and a three year warranty. The Husqvarna models also have a slightly faster top speed than the Poulan Pro. The three lawn tractors are more or less the same in every area except deck size and power: in both areas the Husqvarna YTH23V48 is the bigger, stronger machine.
When you are shopping for a lawn tractor that can provide reliable performance for many years to come, you want a machine that has a big enough deck size that it will be able to cut your lawn in the fewest possible passes as well as an engine that is powerful enough to support a big deck width and high forward speed. You also want it to be able to perform a range of lawn care tasks, such as towing cargo or accessories behind. Finally, you want a tractor that is designed to provide a clean, manicured cut every time you use it. The Husqvarna YTH23V48 shines in all of these areas, and is competitively priced as well. Overall this is a great lawn tractor for the price, and it is perfect for bigger properties that are relatively obstacle free and have even terrain. As an all around lawn care machine, the Husqvarna YTH23V48 has plenty of great features to offer.
- Powerful 727cc Briggs & Stratton engine and Tuff Torq transmission.
- 48 inch cutting deck with three blades and air induction technology.
- Three grass management options.
- Additional lawn care accessories.
- Competitive, affordable pricing.
When you consider each of these features, it is clear why the Husqvarna YTH23V48 is such a great lawn tractor for the property owner with a big lawn to take care of. It has a powerful Briggs & Stratton manufactured engine with 727cc and a Tuff Torq transmission that provides a top forward speed of 5.2 mph and a top reverse speed of 2.9 mph. It has a huge cutting deck with three blades and innovative technology that ensures you will always get an even cut. There are three grass management options included in the initial purchase price, and more accessories available for more comprehensive lawn care. Finally, it is priced so that it remains affordable to the average homeowner, and provides great features and performance without killing your garden budget for the year.
- Mulching option leaves clumps of grass on the lawn.
- Deck does not cut well on curved stretches.
- Tractor does not handle tight turns well.
- Tow hitch is made of stamped steel and weakens over time.
- No anti scalping wheels on the cutting deck.
Problems like clumping when mulching are annoying, but they are not overall designed flaws that should cause you to walk away from this lawn tractor. While the tractor also does not cut perfectly on curved stretches and does not handle corners well, that has more to do with the fact that it is a lawn tractor than any flaw in how it was made. The same is true for the lack of anti scalping wheels. These cons exist because lawn tractors are designed for a range of lawn care tasks rather than the most efficient grass cutting performance possible. The weakness of the tow hitch is of course a problem, but it is not without a fairly simple workaround if you do intend to do a lot of towing. Generally speaking none of these flaws is enough of a red flag to cause a consumer to walk away from this tractor outright, unless they believe a zero turn mower would better serve their needs.
If you have more than a half an acre of grass on your property that you have to cut on a regular basis, a walk behind mower is not going to do the job properly. Instead a riding mower, and in particular a lawn tractor like the Husqvarna YTH23V48, is best for the job. These let you finish the job quickly and in the comfort of a padded seat and ergonomic cockpit. With its massive 48 inch deck size and innovative air induction technology, you can rest assured that you will be giving your lawn a manicured look every time you use this lawn tractor.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 has lots of great features for the lawn care enthusiast who wants to do more than just cut their grass every couple of weeks. It is also ready to handle a number of other landscaping jobs. It has optional accessories such as a dethatcher, lawn aerator and polly roll, all of which are conveniently towed behind the tractor and provide important lawn care options that will help to keep your lawn looking verdant and healthy for years to come. With its powerful mower, extra towing capacity, and wealth of landscaping accessories, this is the perfect lawn tractor for the homeowner who wants a beautiful lawn without a huge amount of work.
The Husqvarna YTH23V48 is a very reasonably priced lawn tractor. Lawn tractor prices can be as much as several thousand dollars, and so at less than $2000 this model is in the more affordable range. It is difficult to get a lawn tractor at this price that offers a quality engine manufactured by an industry leader such as Briggs & Stratton and 727cc power. It is also rare to find a lawn tractor that has a deck size as large as 48 inches with three cutting blades for such a reasonable price. Add to that the fact that Husqvarna is a reliable name in lawn tractor manufacturing and you can feel secure in purchasing this model for residential use, without worrying about breaking the bank.