Husqvarna YTH2042 Review
|(Rated: 4 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Lawn Mower, Best Riding Lawn Mower, Husqvarna, Husqvarna Lawn Mowers, Lawn Mower Reviews, Riding Lawn Mower Reviews,|
Lawn tractors are the perfect machines for taking care of a lawn that is more than half an acre in size. It is nearly impossible to efficiently mow that much grass with just a walk behind mower. And you can be certain that at the very least you will be too worn out to be able to get any enjoyment out of your work after the job is done when you use a walk behind mower. Furthermore, hardly any walk behind mowers have the necessary power – whether they are gas or electric – to cover that much ground in one shot. But lawn tractors have big enough cutting decks and enough power to efficiently take care of big jobs with little or no trouble, and because you are simply sitting in the cockpit and steering the mower, you will not find the job too tiring.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 lawn tractor is packed full of features that make it a great choice for homeowners who have a big yard to take care of. It has a best in class Briggs & Stratton engine that provides 20 horsepower. It is compact so that it is easy to store, but it still has a super wide, 42 inch cutting deck that allows you to cut your lawn more efficiently and in less time than tractors with smaller decks can. This lawn tractor is designed from the ground up to provide superior performance and quality results so that your lawn stays looking professionally manicured and healthy all summer long.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 has lots of great features that ensure you get reliable performance from it. It has a best in class Briggs & Stratton engine that provides a full 20 horsepower. The engine is the Briggs & Stratton’s Intek series, and it is a powerful 540 cubic centimeters. Along with the tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission, the engine provides enough power to the tractor to drive it at a top forward speed of 5.2 mph and a top reverse speed of 2.9 mph. It also has a convenient cruise control feature that allows you to set your desired speed and then focus on giving your lawn an even cut. The cruise control maintains a constant speed even on undulating or sloping ground.
This lawn tractor has a 42 inch cutting deck – that’s three and a half feet, which is much wider than even the biggest walk behind mowers. It is also a lot bigger than many other riding mowers or lawn tractors available in the same price range on today’s market. The width of the cutting deck combined with the top speed of 5.2 mph means you will be able to cut a lawn that is up to a full acre in size in about 45 minutes at the most. That is a much shorter time than many other riding mowers can offer, and it beats out walk behind mowers by a long shot. You will be done cutting your lawn before you know it, and ready to enjoy your weekend with a cookout or by playing with your kids in no time.
The cutting deck also features Husqvarna’s patented air induction system, which allows for better air flow around the twin cutting blades. That provides a perfect mechanism for evenly cutting the grass, even if it is dense or damp. This makes sure that you are getting a professional looking manicure every time you cut your lawn. The cutting deck has six cutting height options between 1.5 and 4 inches, which is important for ensuring that you are providing your grass with an optimal cut every time.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 has three grass clippings management options, which makes this brand somewhat unique among lawn tractor manufacturers. Generally lawn tractors will only offer one grass management option in the initial purchase price. If they offer alternative options for collecting or mulching grass clippings, the buyer is forced to purchase them separately. This is not the case for the Husqvarna line of lawn tractors. The convenience provided in this instance is a common thread in the lawn tractor’s other features as well, from the ergonomic design to quality craftsmanship.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 has a 40 inch deck width and dimensions of 69.2 x 49.0 x 41.4 inches. It has a gas powered, Briggs & Stratton manufactured, single cylinder Intek series 540cc engine that is ranked best in class and provides a full 20 horsepower. It has a pedal operated hydrostatic transmission manufactured by Tuff Torq that provides a top forward speed of 5.2 mpg and a top reverse speed of 2.9 mph. The tractor is easy to shift between speeds and has a cruise control feature that maintains the desired speed even if you are on undulating or sloping ground. It has six cutting height positions between 1.5 and 4 inches, and you can shift between heights easily using a single lever.
|Dimensions||69.2 x 49.0 x 41.4 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine Specs||Intek – 540-cc Engine|
|Gas Tank||2.50 Galons|
|Number of Blades||2|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Max Speed||5.2 mph forward / 2.9 mph reverse|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (6 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-inch|
|Wheel Size||15×6-inch front / 20×8-inch rear|
The Husqvarna YTH2042 has twin cutting blades, and the cutting deck has Husqvarna’s patented air induction technology, designed to improve the airflow around the cutting blades. This allows for a much cleaner and more consistent cut. There is a manual blade engagement located on the dash for easier operation. The tractor has three grass clipping management options: mulching back into the lawn, bagging for later disposal, or side discharge. The tractor’s rear wheels are 20 inches tall by 8 inches wide, and its front wheels are 15 inches tall by 6 inches wide. The tractor is compact and weighs 419 pounds. It has a convenient deck wash port that allows you to connect a hose to the water port for washing the underside of the cutting deck. And for extra options, there are a number of towable lawn care accessories that the mower can be equipped with for effective fertilization and grass feeding.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 is a gas powered riding lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton made, best in class Intek series engine. The engine is a single cylinder, 540cc model that provides up to 20 horsepower to the tractor. The tractor has a 42 inch wide cutting deck with twin blades. It also has Husqvarna’s patented air induction system that is designed to make sure that you are always giving your lawn an even, professional looking cut. The Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission allows you to easily transition between speeds. And the top forward speed of 5.2 mph and top reverse speed of 2.9 mph mean you will finish your lawn care responsibilities quickly and then move on to enjoying your weekend before you even know it.
The lawn tractor has a fifteen inch seat back that can be easily adjusted for greater comfort. The steering wheel is angled for the best possible driver position and ergonomically designed. The cockpit is designed for comfortable and easy mounting and dismounting. Along with the cruise control option and easy speed and direction control, cutting your lawn with the Husqvarna YTH2042 is downright comfortable.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 has six height adjustment options between 1.5 and 4 inches. You can easily change the deck height using a lever on the rear fender – no need to stop and get off the mower to adjust the height. Lawn care experts recommend that you never cut your grass to a height shorter than 1/3 of its initial height. If you do, you will risk doing damage to the grass. This can make it more susceptible to disease, the effects of drought, or invasions by weeds or crab grass. So you can see why it is important that you are able to adjust the height of the cutting deck without too much hassle so that you can keep your lawn looking and feeling its best all year round. The cutting deck is manually engaged or disengaged using a lever conveniently located on the dash.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 is equipped with three grass clippings grass management options. You can discharge clippings in neat rows along the side of the mower. You can engage the mulching feature to chop grass clippings into small enough bits that will break down in the lawn, adding nitrogen to the soil and protecting the lawn from diseases, weeds, and pests. And you can bag grass clippings for later disposal or composting. There are also a number of towable accessories available. These allow you to extend the range of your lawn tractor from just cutting the grass to more involved lawn care tasks. This is an all in one machine that provides a total lawn care experience to its owner.
The lawn tractor weighs 419 pounds and is compact enough that you will not have to worry about storage or maneuverability being an issue. It has a sixteen inch turning radius, which is forty percent as wide as the cutting deck. Because the turning radius is less than half the size of the cutting deck, making sure you are able to overlap from one row to the next is easy. That means you will not have to go back over rows you already cut, or overshoot the edge of the lawn to turn around for the next row. It has big wheels – 20 x 8 inch rear and 15 x 6 inch front – that make sure the mower can handle uneven terrain with ease.
When you own a big property with more than a half an acre of lawn to maintain, you simply will not be able to do the job with a walk behind mower. A riding mower is simply a must have, and one of the best options for residential use are lawn tractors. These are especially versatile machines that can do a lot more than just cut the grass. The Husqvarna YTH2042 is a great option for homeowners who are serious about taking great care of their lawn.
Husqvarna is an excellent brand for all things lawn care related, including mowers and tractors, and the Husqvarna YTH2042 is no exception in this regard. This model has quite a few advantages over other manufacturers’ models. It has a big cutting deck with twin blades and patented Husqvarna air induction technology, an ergonomic design that means you will be riding in comfort, a top of the line engine and transmission, three grass management options, and a great price. These features and more combine to make the Husqvarna YTH2042 one of the better lawn tractors available today. In this section I will go into these pros in a bit more detail to give you a better picture of what this machine has to offer the homeowner with a big lawn to take care of.
- Twin blade 42 inch cutting deck and patented air induction technology : The Husqvarna YTH2042 has a cutting deck that has twin cutting blades made of 11 gauge steel, and it is 42 inches wide. That is twice as wide as most walk behind mowers, and it is also a lot wider than many other riding mowers. Wider decks translate to wider cutting swaths, and that means you can finish a job in fewer passes and less time. Add to that the fact that Husqvarna has developed and patented an innovative air induction technology, and you have one of the best cutting decks money can buy. The air induction technology ensures that there is an even air flow around the cutting blades, which means the grass will stand up straighter while you are passing over it, delivering a more even, professional looking cut every time you use it.
- Powerful Briggs & Stratton engine and Tuff Torq transmission : The Husqvarna YTH2042 is equipped with an engine that is hands down the top in its class. Briggs & Stratton is a leader in engine manufacturing for lawn tractors and riding mowers. The Husqvarna YTH2042 has an Intek series single cylinder 540cc engine that delivers a full 20 horsepower to the lawn tractor. It also features a high quality Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission that provides a top forward speed of 5.2 mph and a top reverse speed of 2.9 mph. The speed and direction are conveniently set by a lever set on the right rear fender, in easy reach of the operator. There is also a cruise control feature that allows you to set the desired speed and concentrate on cutting the grass. The cruise control is designed to ensure that you maintain an even speed whether you are on flat ground or driving on undulating or sloping ground, so the cut will also be as even as possible.
- Ergonomic design in the cockpit : The Husqvarna YTH2042 is designed with your comfort in mind. It has a fifteen inch seat back for better lumbar support. The seat is easily adjusted forward or back to provide the highest possible comfort. The steering wheel is angled for the optimal driver’s position, and like the seat it is ergonomically designed and fully padded for the utmost comfort. The cockpit is conveniently designed to allow comfortable step through dismounting and mounting. And all of the controls – cutting deck height lever, transmission control lever, and cruise control lever – are located thoughtfully to make sure they are always within reach and easy to operate without having to get out of the driver’s seat. These features all help to make sure you are enjoying the experience of cutting your lawn while riding in comfort.
- Three grass management options included : It is somewhat unusual for lawn tractors to offer three grass management options with the initial purchase price. But Husqvarna is a unique brand in terms of quality and performance. You have the option of a simple side discharge, which will leave the grass in neat rows on your lawn. Or you can opt to collect the clippings in bags for later disposal or compost. Finally you have the option of mulching the grass clippings back into your lawn, where they will provide nitrogen and other nutrients to the growing grass, ensuring a healthy, lustrous lawn all year lawn. It is easy to switch between grass management options, so you can even opt for one choice in your front lawn and another in your back yard. There are also a number of optional towable accessories that can be purchased separately if you want a more inclusive lawn care machine.
- Competitive pricing : Another area where Husqvarna really shines is the fact that it provides quality lawn tractors for big residential jobs while maintaining affordable and competitive prices. The Husqvarna YTH2042 is no exception in this area, either. At less than two thousand dollars, this is one of the more affordable lawn tractors on the market. Yet it still provides the kind of quality and performance Husqvarna is known for. And it does not cut corners where extra features such as grass clippings management accessories, cutting deck width, or power are concerned. All told this is a great price for a great residential lawn tractor.
Husqvarna also offers a 3 year limited warranty on the Husqvarna YTH2042. Along with its top in class Briggs & Stratton engine and Tuff Torq transmission, you can rest assured that this lawn tractor has what it takes under the hood to reliably deliver tough performance. And its design and manufacturing also ensure that you will be riding in comfort and that the tractor will hold up to tough residential use without breaking down or losing performance ability. The features detailed in the above section show why Husqvarna is a trusted name in lawn care, and why the Husqvarna YTH2042 in particular is such a great lawn tractor. The large, 42 inch wide cutting deck with air induction technology, powerful engine and high quality transmission, ergonomic design for greater comfort, and three grass management options that are included in the initial purchase price are just some of the features that make this such a great mower. Along with the competitive and affordable price, this is a great lawn tractor that has what it takes to keep your lawn looking beautifully landscaped for years to come.
But even with all of its positive aspects, the Husqvarna YTH2042 does have a few drawbacks. It is impossible to design a product that can please everyone, and this one is no exception. While you can be fairly confident that this is a great tractor that will provide reliable performance for your lawn care needs, there are going to be certain things about this mower that may make it less than ideally suited to your lawn’s needs. With such a great price and features such as a high quality engine, wide deck, and high performance, there will be certain other areas where machines like this one may be lacking. In the Husqvarna YTH2042 these include certain problems with the engine belt, issues with using a lever instead of pedals to control transmission, maneuverability issues and power issues for tougher grass or bigger lawns. Here I will go into each of these in more detail.
- Engine belt occasionally slips off : The engine belt on the Husqvarna YTH2042 is known to occasionally slip off its housing and on rare occasions even breaks altogether. Of course it is important to note that you may find that you never encounter this problem in your model, but be prepared that it can happen. It is also important to keep in mind the fact that Husqvarna provides a three year consumer warranty on this model. A problem such as engine belt slippage will typically manifest itself early on in a lawn tractor’s life. Because of that, you should in all likelihood experience this problem early enough to fix it while the tractor is still under warranty, if you experience it at all. In the worst case scenario, engine belts are a fairly cheap part that is pretty easy to replace. But at the same time, when we spend four figures on a machine, we want it to work reliably.
- The transmission control can be hard to get used to : Homeowners who have owned lawn tractors in the past that were controlled by pedals, or who have never used a lawn tractor but are used to operating a car, may find the lever control difficult to get used to. Speed and direction are controlled by a lever next to the driver’s seat, and if you have never used a system like this, you should be aware that it is a bit different than you may be used to. However you can also set a cruise control once you have found your desired speed, which means you will not have to be using the controls for the transmission too often anyway. And the Husqvarna YTH2042 has a top speed of 5.2 mph which means that this should not be a safety issue, either.
- The Husqvarna YTH2042 lawn tractor does not maneuver well in tight corners : Even though it is designed to be compact for optimal use, the Husqvarna YTH2042 is still designed in a manner that makes it difficult to maneuver it in tight corners. This is because the cutting deck sits in the middle of the mower, between the front and rear wheels, so the footprint of the mower is considerably longer than it is wide. Even with its 16 inch turning radius, the Husqvarna YTH2042 is not going to be very easy to maneuver in tight corners. This could be a problem if you have a lot of obstacles on your lawn or if your property has oddly shaped corners on it. Fortunately the reverse option allows you to back up if you do get stuck, and if you have a flat, rectangular lawn then maneuvering in tight corners is not a problem. Furthermore this machine is designed for an all inclusive lawn care style in mind, which can make up for the fact that it does not cut grass in tight spaces very easily.
- Not enough power for wet or dense grass : Even with its top of the line Briggs & Stratton engine and 20 horsepower, the Husqvarna YTH2042 still has some difficulty negotiating lawns that have dense or tough grass. If you live in a region of the United States that typically has tougher varieties of grass such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass, such as the South or East Coast, this could prove problematic for you. Along the same vein, the lawn tractor does not deal with dense or wet patches very well. The cutting blades will slow down somewhat, even with the patented air induction technology. And they may have trouble getting through wet lawns at all. If you live in a region with finer grasses like Kentucky bluegrass or fescues – such as the American Midwest – and you do not intend to cut it while it is wet, then this should not pose as much of a problem for you.
- Not ideal for lawns larger than an acre : Even though it has a large 42 inch cutting deck, and is a riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine and 20 horsepower, with a gas tank that holds up to two and a half gallons, the Husqvarna YTH2042 still has its limits. It is designed with residential use in mind, and specifically for properties with about an acre or so of grass to cut. If you have a much bigger property than that, this is probably not the best lawn tractor for your needs. And if you are looking for something to use for professional lawn care work or for maintaining an athletic field or golf course, then this is not the right machine for you. It will do smaller jobs with no problem, but you should be aware of what you need before you purchase this tractor.
Other than the first one, none of these cons are so much of a condemnation of the Husqvarna YTH2042’s performance or quality. Instead they are simply aspects of its design that make it idea for certain kinds of jobs and not for others. While the lever controlled transmission can be a bit difficult to get used to if you have not used one before, this is more of a matter of personal preference than any sort of serious design flaw. And the fact that it is not easy to maneuver or ideal for bigger lawns simply speaks to what this lawn tractor is designed to do. Therefore while these cons are absolutely worth considering when you are deciding if this is the right mower for you, they do not present a picture of a lawn tractor that has faulty design or shoddy manufacturing.
In addition to considering the pros and cons of this machine, it is also a great strategy to compare it to its competition to get a good picture of how it stacks up. Every manufacturer provides different features and specifications to their machines, which makes every tractor slightly different. But every lawn is slightly different too, and so there is a right mower for your yard’s needs out there somewhere. Comparison shopping allows you to get a good snapshot of the specifications of each of a few different products, which will allow you to get a good idea of which one is right for you. In order to help facilitate this process, I have provided a table that compares the specifications of the Husqvarna YTH2042 to those of the Poulan PO17542LT and the Husqvarna YTH23V48-CA.
|Dimensions||69.2 x 49.0 x 41.4 inches||72.8 x 34.5 x 45.1 inches||69.2 x 59.7 x 41.4 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton||Briggs & Stratton||Briggs & Stratton|
|Transmission||Tuff Torq||Peerless||Tuff Torq|
|Gas Tank||2.50 Galons||1.50 Galons||3.00 Galons|
|Deck Size (cutting swath)||42-inch||42-inch||48-inch|
|Number of Blades||2||2||3|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Side discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Max Speed||5.2 mph forward
2.9 mph reverse
|5.5 mph forward
1.7 mph reverse
|5.2 mph forward
2.9 mph reverse
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (6 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 4-inch||1-1/2- to 4-inch||1-1/2- to 4-inch|
|Wheel Size||15×6-inch front
|Weight||419 pounds||385 pounds||476 pounds|
|Warranty||3 years||2 years||3 years|
As you can see, the Husqvarna YTH2042 is the smallest of the three lawn tractors, with dimensions of 69.2 x 49 x 41.4 inches. That means it will be a lot easier to find the storage space in your garage for it. All three mowers have Briggs & Stratton engines, although the Poulan has a PowerBuilt series engine while the Husqvarnas each have the Intek series engine. The YTH2042 has the smaller of the two Husqvarnas. It also has the smallest cutting deck. What this table is basically showing is that there are a number of areas where the Husqvarna tractors are outshining the Poulan model, but that one of the Huqvarna tractors is designed to handle bigger and tougher jobs than the other. This does not mean that the bigger one is necessarily better than the YTH2042, of course. It just means the Husqvarna YTH2042 is designed for smaller residential jobs than its larger cousin. And if you do have a lawn that is about an acre in size, you probably do not need to spend the extra money or storage space to have a bigger, more powerful mower – all of that extra size and horsepower will just be wasted on a smaller lawn anyway.
Some of the most important considerations when you are shopping for a new lawn tractor are whether it can provide reliable performance and quality manufacturing and parts, how large its cutting deck is, and how comfortable it is to operate. You also want to make sure the machine can provide a clean, professional looking cut every time you use it. The Husqvarna YTH2042 certainly comes through in all of these areas. For the price tag, this is far and away one of the best lawn tractors you could find for residential jobs with lawns of about an acre. If you do not have too many obstacles on your property and want a solid riding lawn tractor that will consistently provide reliable performance, the Husqvarna YTH2042 has many great features.
- Twin blade 42 inch cutting deck and patented air induction technology.
- Powerful Briggs & Stratton engine and Tuff Torq transmission.
- Ergonomic design in the cockpit.
- Three grass management options included.
- Competitive pricing.
When you look at each of these features, it is easy to see why the Husqvarna YTH2042 is such a great lawn tractor to own. It has a large twin blade 42 inch wide cutting deck and patented air induction technology to ensure you are always providing an even, professional looking cut to your lawn. It has a top of the line Briggs & Stratton Intek series engine and Tuff Torq transmission. It is designed ergonomically to ensure you are always riding in comfort. There are three convenient grass management options included in the initial purchase price. And that price is very competitive. These features combine to make the Husqvarna YTH2042 an excellent riding mower for the homeowner with about an acre of grass to cut.
- Belt occasionally slips off.
- Lever controlled transmission is hard to get used to.
- Not enough power for wet or dense grass.
- Does not maneuver well in tight corners.
- Not ideal for lawns bigger than an acre.
The fact that the mower has an engine belt that may occasionally slip off is the most serious of these cons – but it is not without a solution, considering the fact that the manufacturer provides a three year warranty on this model. These other cons are not so much design flaws as they are aspects of a lawn tractor designed for an above average but not massive lawn. And the maneuverability and transmission control issues are both design decisions that some users may not find preferable but that nonetheless do not speak to the overall quality of this lawn tractor. Therefore if you own a very large property of more than about an acre, this may not be the best option, but at the same time none of these cons are such major drawbacks that I would recommend against buying this mower.
Let’s face it: if you own a property with more than 1/2 an acre of grass to take care of, you simply will not be able to do the job with a walk behind mower. Riding mowers are the best option for jobs like this. And lawn tractors like the Husqvarna YTH2042 are ideal for homeowners who want a machine that can do more tasks than simply cutting the grass. These machines are designed to support a range of lawn care jobs, such as distributing fertilizer or towing accessories that can do more landscaping than other riding mowers are equipped to handle.
The YTH2042 has a number of great features for the person who wants to take care of a lawn that is between 1/2 and 1 acres. It has a 42 inch cutting deck with twin cutting blades and Husqvarna’s patented air induction technology to ensure you are always giving your lawn the best possible cut. It has a powerful engine manufactured by Briggs & Stratton, a leader in the industry. The engine is 540 cubic centimeters and provides 20 horsepower to the tractor. In addition there is a Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission that provides variable speeds. The top forward speed is 5.2 mph and the top reverse speed is 2.9 mph. The tractor has a cockpit that has been designed ergonomically to ensure that you will always be riding in the best possible comfort. And it is competitively priced to make sure the average homeowner can afford to buy it.
It is not easy to find a lawn tractor with the kind of features the Husqvarna YTH2042 offers for less than two thousand dollars. Often, manufacturers will market such machines as “budget” riding mowers, and then start cutting back on features such as engine power, deck width, and accessories such as grass management options or comfort. Those mowers simply are unable to deliver the kind of performance that you want from a riding mower, and often break down or lose performance ability very quickly. In the long run, you wind up paying for what you may have saved up front in wasted time, extra labor, or discomfort.
The Husqvarna YTH2042 is an exception to this. It is at the lower end of the price range for lawn tractors. And even while doing this it still provides a lot of great features, such as a wide cutting deck, powerful engine, and multiple accessories that make cutting the lawn a convenient and comfortable experience. And it manages to do all of this without forcing you to spend your entire home and garden budget in one shot. Its competitive price is one of its most attractive features. But beyond that is the fact that this is one case where you are definitely getting more than you pay for.