Husqvarna 7021P Review
|(Rated: 4.1 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Gas Lawn Mower, Best Lawn Mower, Gas Lawn Mower Reviews, Husqvarna, Husqvarna Lawn Mowers, Lawn Mower Reviews,|
A good lawn mower is an important part of every homeowner’s tool kit. You want to be able to keep your lawn looking beautiful, healthy and well manicured, and you just can’t do that with a lawn mower that is less than optimal. If you have a moderately sized yard that is less than a third or a half an acre in size, you can get the job done reliably with a walk behind mower. But you are going to want to make sure you have a lawn mower that will stand up to years of repeated use without breaking down or needing extra maintenance. A gas mower has the kind of power necessary to handle even tough jobs with dense patches of grass, and it can also support a larger blade than manual push mowers or electric mowers can.
The Husqvarna 7021P is a solid walk behind gas powered mower with lots of great features. It has a 160 cubic centimeter engine. It has a compact design, which makes it easier to maneuver in tight spaces and more efficient to store in your garage. It has three grass clippings management systems. It has a four point, five position cutting height adjustment options so that you are always giving your lawn the best possible cut to keep it healthy and lustrous. And it has a competitive price tag that makes it one of the more affordable gas powered mowers in its class.
The Husqvarna 7021P offers a number of features at a reasonable price to make it one of the best walk behind gas powered mowers in its class. It has a powerful, reliable 160cc engine. The engine is a Honda GCV. These engines are designed to be quieter than other combustion engines of the same size and still provide reliable power and performance. They are also lightweight, which in turn makes the Husqvarna 7021P one of the lighter gas powered mowers available on the market today. That means it will be easier to maneuver than heavier mowers are.
Because the engine is gas powered, it will be able to provide much more power to the lawn mower than an electric, battery powered engine can. Combustion engines are still able to simply pack more power into the same amount of space as a battery powered engine can. That means that they will reliably provide top quality performance for longer periods of time and cut larger lawns than battery powered mowers can. The Honda CGV provides 4 horsepower to the mower. This is more than enough to power the mower through even tough, dense patches of grass without losing speed or performance.
The Husqvarna 7021P has a cutting deck that is 21 inches wide. That places it at around the mid range for cutting deck size. The cutting blade is made from stamped steel, which means it will be able to cut through tough grass repeatedly without needing to be sharpened too often. And the cutting deck size is wide enough that it will be able to handle the average sized lawn without needing to make too many passes. Fewer passes means less work and time spent mowing your lawn.
The mower comes with three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price. You can choose to eject clippings out the side of the mower, or collect them in a rear bag for later disposal. Or you can engage the mulching plug so that the cutting blade slices clippings into a fine mulch. These will break down into your lawn, providing necessary nitrogen and other nutrients while eliminating the need to buy fertilizer and spend time distributing it on your lawn.
Finally, the Husqvarna 7021P has an affordable price. For its size, quality construction and powerful engine, this mower is one of the more inexpensive models in its class. Overall, this is an excellent mower for residential use by the homeowner who has less than a half an acre of grass to cut.
The Husqvarna 7021P has overall dimensions of 38.2 x 22.8 x 26.2 inches, which makes it one of the more compact models among walk behind mowers available today with similar deck sizes. That means it will not only be easier to maneuver in tight spaces, but also easy to store efficiently. Storage is enhanced with a fold down handle, so you can store it in smaller areas. It has a deck size of 21 inches, and stamped steel cutting blades. The mower has a Honda manufactured, gas powered GCV series 160cc engine that provides 4 horsepower to the cutting deck. The engine is a four cycle, single cylinder model. It has a recoil starter like most gas powered lawn mowers. The operator first primes the engine and then simply pulls the starter cord to turn the mower on. It has a gas tank that can hold about a quarter of a gallon of gas, which should be enough for most moderately sized lawns.
|Dimensions||38.2 x 22.8 x 26.2 inches|
|Engine Specs||GCV160 – 160-cc Engine|
|Gas Tank||0.24 Galons|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Drive System||Manual Push|
|Height Adjustment||Individual (5 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/4- to 3-1/2-inch|
|Wheel Size||8-inch front / 12-inch rear|
The Husqvarna 7021P comes equipped with three grass management options in the initial purchase price, which is not always the case with walk behind mowers that are affordably priced. You can choose between side discharge, collecting grass clippings in a rear bag for later disposal, or mulching the clippings back into your lawn. The mower is operated by manually pushing it; there is no self propulsion motor on this unit. There are five height settings between 1.25 and 3.5 inches. Each wheel is individually adjusted for height. The wheels are plastic, and they measure eight inches tall in the front and 12 inches tall in the rear for better maneuverability and handling on rough or uneven ground. The mower weighs only 66 pounds, which will also make it easier to use. It comes with a two year consumer warranty.
The Husqvarna 7021P is a manual push gas powered lawn mower with a Honda GCV series 160cc engine that provides 4 hp to the machine. The engine is a four stroke, single cylinder model that is designed to be quieter and more compact and lightweight than other combustion engines of the same size while still providing more than enough power to the mower. The cutting deck is 21 inches, which is about in the mid range of size for walk behind mowers, but still completely sufficient for most residential lawns smaller than a half acre. It will allow you to finish the job in fewer passes and in less time than a smaller lawn mower could. The cutting blade is made of stamped steel. Along with the powerful motor, the cutting blade is durable enough to handle even tough varieties of grass like St. Augustine or Bermuda grass.
The Husqvarna 7021P has three grass clippings management options included right out of the box. You can opt to use the side discharge to spread your clippings out in neat rows on the lawn, or you can collect grass clippings in a rear bag assembly for later disposal or composting. Or you can engage the mulching plug, which will cause the cutting blade to dice clippings into very small pieces that will more easily biodegrade into your lawn. This will provide more nitrogen and other nutrients to your lawn, which will cause it to be more lustrous and healthy, and all but eliminate the need for fertilizing your lawn, which will save you lots of work and a good deal of money as well.
The mower has five height adjustment positions ranging between 1.25 and 3.5 inches. Each wheel is individually adjusted with a separate lever. While this can be a bit of a hassle compared to mowers that control all four wheels with a single lever, adjusting each wheel is only a matter of a few seconds, and you will be able to adjust all four in under two minutes. It also acts as a prevention against a single lever getting too much wear and tear from repeated use and potentially breaking after a few years. It is important that you are able to reliably adjust the height of your cutting deck so that you are always cutting your grass at its optimal height. You should never cut your grass shorter than 1/3 of its initial height, as this can lead to scalping, which grass may not be able to recover from. Scalping your lawn in patches big or small will make the lawn more susceptible to drought and disease. Generally the only solution to scalping your lawn is to re-seed or sod it from scratch. This can be a huge headache that costs a lot of money and time.
The Husqvarna 7021P is surprisingly lightweight and compact for a walk behind mower with such a powerful, high quality engine and wide cutting deck. That means it will be much more maneuverable in tight spaces. It will also be easier to find storage space for it in your garage or tool shed, especially because the handle conveniently folds down onto the mower, so you can store it under a tool bench or on a lower shelf. The weight of the mower – only 66 pounds – also means that it will be much easier for people with slighter builds to maneuver without injuring themselves or wearing themselves out.
In addition to all of these excellent features, the Husqvarna 7021P is very reasonably priced. In fact, when you compare it to similar mowers in its class, this model is one of the most inexpensive available. And it has a low price tag while still managing to provide all of the great specs I have detailed above. It has a quiet engine that is still powerful enough to drive the cutting deck through even tougher, denser grasses like St Augustine or Bermuda grass. It is compact enough to maneuver easily in tight spaces and store in your garage without taking up too much room. It has three convenient grass clippings management options included in the purchase price. And it is made of durable, high quality parts that will provide reliable performance for a long time to come. Overall this is a quality walk behind gas powered mower. It is perfect for residential use by the homeowner who has a moderately sized yard and wants a lawn mower they can count on.
It is a great move to buy a gas powered mower for your lawn care needs for a number of reasons. Far and away the number one reason is the kind of muscle they provide. Electric mowers simply do not have the kind of power necessary to tackle lawns with tough, dense grass like St Augustine or Bermuda grass without having their blade slow down or stop altogether. But at the same time, gas powered mowers can be loud. The Husqvarna 7021P solves this problem with its Honda GCV series mower, which is a powerful combustion engine that runs relatively quietly. The mower comes with three grass clippings management options in the initial purchase price. The mower is compact for easy storage and lightweight for better maneuverability. It has a convenient Easy Start system. And it is manufactured from durable parts to ensure it has a long life. I will go into each of these features in more detail below.
- High quality Honda CGV engine : The Husqvarna 7021P is equipped with a Honda CGV series engine that is a 160cc, air cooled four stroke OHC model. It provides 4 horsepower to the cutting deck. The CGV series is designed to offer a quiet yet powerful and lightweight combination that can power the mower through even tough or dense grass without slowing down or stopping. The engine is also designed to minimize exhaust and related fumes and smells. This engine practically eliminates most of the drawbacks associated with a gas powered mower. It has a compact combustion chamber and overhead cam design to reduce fuel consumption. It has a single element air filter to reduce maintenance. It is one of the lightest engines in its class. And it is manufactured using simple construction to reduce potential maintenance needs. It is made from quality materials, and has a top of the line fit and finish.
- Easy Start system makes starting it a breeze : One of the other drawbacks that many people associate with gas powered mowers is the difficulty of starting them. The Husqvarna 7021P has a patented Easy Start system that makes starting it much easier. There is no need to prime the engine before you pull the ignition cord: you simply slide the choke lever over, grip the safety lever, and pull the cord. The system is designed to ensure that you get a clean, easy start every time you pull the ignition cord. That means you will not have to be fruitlessly pulling on your ignition cord over and over to get the mower to start. No more frustrating starts or sore shoulders: Easy Start makes startup simple and convenient.
- Three convenient grass clippings management options : It is not altogether common for lawn mowers to include three grass clippings management options with the initial purchase price. Often, if they are at all available, you have to buy them separately, which results in a hidden cost to the mower. The Husqvarna 7021P includes all three potential options right out of the box. You can opt to discharge grass clippings out the side into neat rows in your lawn. Or you can attach the rear bag option for collecting clippings for later disposal or composting. Finally you can engage the mulching plug so that the mower dices grass clippings into fine pieces so that they will more quickly biodegrade into your lawn. This will add high quality nitrogen to the lawn so that you can minimize the amount of time and money you spend on fertilizing it.
- Compact and lightweight for easier maneuverability and storage : The Husqvarna 7021P has overall dimensions of 38.2 x 22.8 x 26.2 inches, which makes it fairly small for a mower with a 21 inch deck size. That has a couple of advantages. First, the mower is easier to maneuver in tight spaces and oddly shaped corners, which will help reduce the amount of time you have to spend edging and trimming your lawn after you mow it. Second, the mower is small enough that it can be conveniently stored in your garage or tool shed without taking up too much space. The mower’s handle folds down onto the body so that it can be easily stored underneath a workbench or on a lower shelf as well. And at just 66 pounds, it is light enough to be easy to maneuver around your yard, even if you are not a particularly big or burly person.
- Durable construction and parts : Husqvarna has a solid reputation for using durable manufacturing and parts in its machines, and the 7021P is no exception to that. The mower is made out of stamped parts, which are not quite as durable as fabricated steel parts, but it is designed to hold up to residential use reliably for many years. The blades are made of durable steel so that they can stand up to even the toughest varieties of grass such as St Augustine or Bermuda grass. The wheels have dual ball bearings to make sure they can handle rough terrain without a problem. And under the hood, the Husqvarna 7021P has one of the best engines in its class, so you will not have to concern yourself with too much internal maintenance problems.
As you can see, the Husqvarna 7021P has a lot of great features that make it an excellent option for residential homeowners with a moderately sized lawn. It brings all of the benefits of a gas mower, and the engine is designed to reduce the drawbacks typically associated with a gas mower, like noise or fumes. The Easy Start system is designed to make the ignition process convenient and painless. The mower has three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price for even more convenience. It is small and lightweight enough to make it easy to maneuver around the lawn and store in tight spaces. And the mower is made from durable parts with quality manufacturing and design. Add to this the fact that it has a competitive price and a two year consumer warranty, and this is a great walk behind gas powered residential grade mower.
Of course, the Husqvarna 7021P is not the perfect lawn mower. There are a number of areas where the design and manufacturing of this machine could be better optimized. None of these drawbacks has to do with the quality of the engine or cutting blade, which is important to keep in mind. You will not have to be overly concerned that the engine will need too much maintenance or break down, and the cutting blade can handle tough and dense grass reliably. The areas where this mower is lacking are relatively minor issues, but they still warrant discussion. They include the wheel stability, which can be problematic. The grass catcher is somewhat poorly designed, and the rear bag does not stay on well. The mower has trouble with grass taller than six inches, which can be a problem. You have to adjust the height of each wheel separately, which can be a hassle. And engaging the mulching plug affects the mower performance. I will discuss each of these issues in further detail below.
- Wheel stability can be an issue : The wheels on the Husqvarna 7021P are made of plastic, which means they are not as durable or heavy duty as other kinds of wheels. Even with the dual ball bearings each wheel has, they can have issues with stability. And the mower can wind up giving uneven cuts as a result if it is pushed over very rough or uneven terrain. The fact that the mower is lightweight has its advantages, but it also affects wheel stability, because the mower is not heavy enough to maintain an even trajectory over rough ground. If your lawn is relatively flat and does not have too many hillocks or bumps, this should not be a problem, but if it is uneven and rough, you should seriously consider this drawback before you but the Husqvarna 7021P.
- Grass catcher has design flaws and bag does not always stay on : The grass catcher on the Husqvarna 7021P is not designed as a single piece that attaches to the mower. Instead it is a constructed from a metal frame that attaches to the mower with relatively flimsy plastic clips that attach to the bag. The clips can have problems staying on the bag, which can result in the bag shifting so that it does not collect all of the clippings or else falling off altogether. This can be quite a big hassle because as a result, if you plan on bagging your grass clippings, you should expect that the bag design will result in more work and time spent cutting your lawn.
- Mower has trouble with taller grass : While the Husqvarna 7021P is powerful enough to handle denser, tougher grass without affecting performance, it does not deal well with grass that is much taller than six or eight inches in height. The cutting deck tends to slow down or even stall on very tall grass. Now, this is not all that uncommon for walk behind mowers, as they are not necessarily designed to be used on very tall grass. And if you have the typical suburban lawn, your grass is probably never much taller than four to six inches. But you may occasionally find that your grass has undergone a sudden growth spurt after particularly favorable weather or after you have fertilized it. Or you may let your lawn go fallow over the winter. So be aware that this model is not particularly well equipped to deal with taller grass.
- Each wheel height is adjusted separately : Many walk behind mowers these days have a convenient single lever height adjustment option, which makes it much easier to change between heights for an optimal cut. This is not the case for the Husqvarna 7021P. The height of each wheel is adjusted separately using an individual lever. This can of course be a bit of a hassle. At the same time, once you get the hang of it each lever only takes a matter of seconds to adjust, and the mower as a whole can be adjusted in just a minute or two. But it can be a bit difficult to make sure you are making each wheel the correct height to get an even cut, and the process takes some getting used to.
- The mulching plug affects mower performance : This is also not a particularly uncommon problem in walk behind mowers with a mulching option, but it is still pretty frustrating. When the mulching plug is engaged, the mower can get bogged down in grass that is only four or five inches tall, which will slow down the entire mowing job and can make it take almost twice as long. You do get grass clippings that are mulched into very fine pieces, but it takes a while to get them. Generally, the grass that is discharged out the side is going to be small enough that it will mulch into the lawn in about a month at most, so this may not be too much of a problem. But if you expect too much your clippings regularly using the plug, get ready for a much slower job.
As I mentioned at the beginning of this section, none of these issues speak to the quality of the manufacturing of the mower as a whole, and there are no problems with any of the engine components. The engine works very reliably and is made from excellent parts with high quality manufacturing. But these minor frustrations – adjusting each wheel separately, having to deal with poor cutting deck performance when the mulching plug is engaged, and dealing with a rear bag and grass catcher that does not properly stay on – can add up over time to make a consumer regret their purchase after a few months.
The fact that wheel stability can be an issue on uneven terrain will not be too much of a problem if your lawn is mostly on flat, even ground. But if you do have a yard that has fairly rough terrain, you may want to look for a product that will not have as much trouble negotiating it. Likewise if you have a lawn that you do not typically let grow to more than six inches, this mower will do just fine. But if you have a lawn that routinely grows taller than that, this mower may be less than optimal for your needs. Ultimately I encourage you to weigh the cons against the pros to determine if these drawbacks are serious enough to outweigh the mower’s positive features.
It is almost always an excellent consumer practice to compare a few different products that are in the same class in terms of price and specifications. That way you can get a fairly good picture of how the lawn mower you are considering buying stacks up against its competitors. By shopping around a bit, you can be certain that when you do settle on a purchase, you will be getting a product that is just right for your needs. Important specs that can help you determine which mower is superior to another include the engine manufacturer and engine size, the cutting deck width, grass clippings management options, overall dimensions, the mower’s weight, and the length of the consumer warranty. In order to help you do this fairly easily, I have provided a table below that compares specs of three lawn mowers: the Husqvarna 7021P, the Poulan Pro PR160Y21RDP, and the Yard Man 12A-B29Q701.
|Dimensions||38.2 x 22.8 x 26.2 inches||36.1 x 21.4 x 24.2 inches||38.1 x 24.1 x 17.8 inches|
|160-cc Engine||GVC160 ARCS
|Gas Tank||0.24 Galons||0.4 Galons||0.25 Galons|
|Deck Size (cutting swath)||21-inch||21-inch||21-inch|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Drive System||Manual Push||Self-Propelled Motor||Self-Propelled Motor|
|Height Adjustment||Individual (5 positions)||Single point (5 positions)||Single lever (5 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/4- to 3-1/2-inch||1-1/4- to 3-1/2-inch||1-1/4- to 3-3/4-inch|
|Wheel Size||8-inch front / 12-inch rear||8-inch front / 8-inch rear||8-inch front / 11-inch rear|
|Weight||66 pounds||95 pounds||81 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
As you can see, the Husqvarna 7021P is the largest of the three models in spite of the fact that it is still fairly compact. All three mowers have a 21 inch cutting deck, and all three mowers also have three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price. All three mowers also have engines that are of equal size, at 160cc. The Poulan Pro and Yard Man mowers are both self propelled models, which can make them easier to maneuver for people who are of slight build, but also makes them heavier and more expensive than the Husqvarna 7021P. The Poulan Pro and the Yard Man mowers also have single point height adjustment levers, while the Husqvarna 7021P requires the user to adjust each wheel separately. The Husqvarna has the largest wheels and weighs the least of all three mowers. What these specs show is that these models are effectively very similar in most categories, but the Poulan Pro and Yard Man models have the added feature of being self propelled. Whether you want a self propelled mower or a manual push mower is a matter of personal choice, as there are advantages and drawbacks to each type.
The Husqvarna 7021P offers a number of great features for residential use on a property that has less than 1/2 an acre of grass to cut. Gas powered mowers offer a lot more power than other walk behind mowers such as electric or manual reel mowers. This means they will be able to handle tougher and denser grasses such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass without getting bogged down or losing overall performance ability. They are more cost effective and can support bigger cutting deck widths to help you get the job done faster than you could with a smaller mower. And they have the kind of durable engines that can provide reliable power for many years to come. There are a lot of great reasons why this model in particular is an excellent option for residential use. Let’s revisit the pros and cons of the Husqvarna 7021P one more time before we conclude this review.
- High quality Honda GCV engine with reduced noise and smell.
- Three grass clippings management options for greater convenience.
- Compact and lightweight for easier maneuverability and storage.
- Easy Start system makes starting it a breeze every time.
- Durable construction and parts ensure the mower will have a long life.
As you can see, the Husqvarna 7021P has a powerful Honda GCV series 160cc engine that is designed to maximize power and efficiency while minimizing the kind of noise and fumes that are typically associated with gas powered mowers. It has a good sized cutting deck that will make sure you are getting the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible. It has three convenient grass clippings management options so that you can choose whether to discharge grass out the side of the mower, collect it in a rear bag for later disposal or composting, or mulch it into the lawn so that it biodegrades in order to provide important nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil. It is compact and lightweight enough that you can easily maneuver it around the lawn and store it in tight spaces in your garage or tool shed. It has a patented Easy Start system that eliminates the need for priming the engine and ensures that the engine starts up easily every time. And it is constructed from durable parts to ensure it has a long life. Finally it has a two year consumer warranty and competitive price.
- Wheel stability can be an issue, especially on uneven terrain.
- Grass catcher has design flaws, and bag does not always stay on.
- Mower has trouble with grass that is taller than six inches.
- Each wheel height is adjusted separately, which can be frustrating.
- Mulching plug affects mower performance and slows or stalls the cutting blade.
The mower’s plastic wheels are unstable on uneven lawns, which can be an issue if your yard fits this profile. The instability can result in an uneven cut to your lawn, which can give it an unprofessional, messy appearance. The grass catcher is poorly designed, which can be quite a hassle if you are trying to collect your clippings for disposal only to find the bag repeatedly falling off the mower. If your grass is routinely taller than six inches, you may find that you have trouble cutting it without having the mower get bogged down. You have to adjust each wheel height separately, which can be somewhat frustrating. And the mulching plug affects the performance of the cutting deck, and can drastically increase the time necessary to cut your lawn into a fine mulch.
You want a gas powered mower that has the kind of quality design and parts that allow it to handle tough jobs without slowing down or getting worn out. Gas powered mowers are more durable and a lot tougher than other walk behind mowers, which is why so many homeowners continue to opt for them over electric or reel mowers. But you want a mower that is compact and can perform well for many years to come, as well.
The Husqvarna 7021P is a gas powered mower that packs a lot of really fantastic features into a small package. It has a Honda GCV series 160cc engine that provides four horsepower to the cutting deck. The engine is designed to be compact and lightweight while delivering reliable power. And it is also designed to minimize two of the biggest drawbacks associated with gas mowers: noise and smell. The mower also has a patented Easy Start system that eliminates the hassle of priming and repeatedly pulling an ignition cord. With the Easy Start system the mower starts right up every time. Overall this is a great residential grade gas powered walk behind mower.
The Husqvarna 7021P packs all of these great features into a lawn mower that is still quite affordable. For gas powered lawn mowers in its class, it falls on the lower end of the price range, and has a price tag that most homeowners will find is not only reasonable but also downright inexpensive. And this price comes with high quality parts and manufacturing and an engine that is designed to take all of the hassle out of owning a gas powered engine. For this price, you are getting a high quality machine that should last you for many years to come at a very reasonable cost.