Ariens 920013 Review
|(Rated: 4.2 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Ariens, Ariens Snow Blowers, Best Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower, Best Snow Blower, Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower Reviews, Snow Blower Reviews,|
When you are dealing with a serious winter snow storm that has dropped more than ten or twelve inches on your area, you want to be sure that you have a snow blower in your garage that is up to the task of getting your driveway clear. You certainly do not want to be without a snow blower at all, but it is equally important to make sure that the snow blower you do have will be able to clear your driveway quickly and efficiently. Whether you live in a rural area and have unpaved drives to clear, or have a typical suburban paved driveway but want to be sure you are prepared for tough winter storms, a two stage snow blower is definitely the way to go. But all two stage snow blowers are not created equal. To get one that is big, powerful, and up to the job, you want an Ariens 920013.
The Ariens 920013 is the type of heavy duty snow blower that is going to be well equipped for just about any conditions you might have to subject it to. Because it has one of the widest clearances you can find on any two stage snow blower, you will be able to finish removing snow from your driveway in fewer passes and less time. And its snow cut depth is high enough that you should have absolutely no trouble clearing snow even after a heavy snow storm. Plus, it has the kind of durable welded steel auger that can cut right through densely packed or icy snow just as easily as it can get through powder.
The Ariens 920013 is easy to use, too. It has a powerful engine with an electric start that makes sure you won’t have any problems getting it going even when temperatures dip below zero. It has a self propelled rear wheel drive that ensures you do not have to do too much work to maneuver it around your driveway. And it can throw snow up to forty feet away and well clear of your driveway, so you get the job done right the first time.
The Ariens 920013 is a gas-powered two stage snow blower that weighs less than two hundred pounds, and has a smaller overall footprint than other snow blowers with similar clearances. It has a powerful 208 cubic centimeter engine that drives the auger as well as four forward and two reverse speeds.
|Dimensions||36 x 26 x 29 inches|
|Engine||208 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Speed Control||4 forward / 2 reverse|
|Clearing Width||22 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||16 inches|
|Throw Distance||Up to 40 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 205°|
|Wheels||12.5-Inch x 4-inch|
The Ariens 920013 has a clearing width of 22 inches and a snow cut depth of sixteen inches, leaving you prepared for anything that Mother Nature could send your way. It can throw snow up to 40 feet away through its snow chute, which rotates manually 205 degrees. It has big wheels and an ergonomic handle.
The Ariens 920013 is an outstanding snow blower that is built to handle tough conditions. It does not matter what kind of heavy snow fall Old Man Winter might be cooking up this season: the Ariens 920013 is ready for anything. That is obvious as soon as you get it out of the box and assembled. The Ariens 920013 comes mostly put together, and it just takes a few minutes to finish assembly with normal tools. All you have to do is secure the handle and attach the snow chute, and it is all put together. Then, fill the gas tank and check the oil, and you are ready to start clearing snow.
As soon as you flip the electric starter switch, you will be able to tell that the Ariens 920013 is a snow blower that definitely means business. When its four-cycle, 208 cubic centimeter engine roars to life, it will be clear that this snow blower has all the power you need to tackle big jobs fast. With an extra wide clearance and a snow cut depth that is nearly a foot and a half tall, you will be ready for anything with the Ariens 920013 in your garage.
Not only is the Ariens 920013 a big, powerful machine – it is made of extremely durable materials as well. It has a serrated, welded steel auger that can grind through any kind of snow, no matter how hard packed or icy it may be. Its frame and body are also made of tough stamped steel, so you can rely on them to be more impact resistant. The Ariens 920013 does not require a whole lot of maintenance to keep it running well, and it is fairly easy to operate. And best of all, it has a very reasonable price tag. This is a great snow blower.
The Ariens 920013 is an outstanding snow blower primarily because it is packed with the kind of excellent features you need to clear snow fast. With its extra wide clearance and high snow removal capability, it will be guaranteed to help clear your driveway quickly and efficiently. Its auger is backed up by a powerful engine that will provide consistent service for many years. And the Ariens 920013 is built tough and will be long lasting.
- Extra wide clearance : The clearance width is always one of the first things you should be looking for when you are considering whether to buy a new snow blower. This, more than any other trait, is going to be what determines how much time it is going to take for you to finish clearing your driveway quickly. At nearly two feet, the Ariens 920013 has the kind of extra wide clearance that you can rely on to get the job done fast.
- High snow clearing ability : Most of the time, a snow blower with a short snow cut depth will probably be just fine for dealing with most snow storms. You will not often see a snow storm that will drop more than a foot or so of snow. But when you do, you need to be prepared for it. With a snow cut depth of sixteen inches, the Ariens 920013 is well prepared for whatever heavy snow fall might come your way.
- Powerful 208 cc engine : The snow cut depth and clearance width on the Ariens 920013 would not be possible without a serious engine under the hood that has the power to back them up. The Ariens 920013 has just such an engine: it is a four-cycle, overhead valve design engine with a displacement of 208 cubic centimeters. It can provide the kind of torque and horsepower you need to tackle tough conditions on the ground year after year.
- Built tough : It is not just the engine that is tough on the Ariens 920013: it is packed with components that are designed to hold up to serious conditions over the long term. Its auger is made of heavy duty welded steel that will not get damaged, and its body and frame are likewise very tough. It has big pneumatic tires that can hold up to uneven ground easily. Overall, the Ariens 920013 is a machine that is built to last.
- Great accessories : A snow blower can be big, powerful, and durable, but without lots of great accessories, it will not be very enjoyable to operate. The Ariens 920013 has plenty of great accessories, too. It has large controls and buttons that make it more user-friendly. It is equipped with a snow guard to protect important controls and linkages from damage or rust. Shifting between speeds is a breeze. And the snow chute turns a full 205 degrees for easier aiming.
As you can see, the Ariens 920013 is well equipped with all of the features you need to take care of removing serious snow fall from your driveway fast. This is a durable, powerful snow blower that is designed with your convenience and ease of use in mind. It is ready to take care of tough conditions as easily as if it were removing light powder. It’s a snow blower that is going to last a long time and provide great service over the years.
In spite of the fact that the Ariens 920013 is equipped with just about everything you could ask for on a two stage snow blower, there are a few areas in which it is not quite perfect. Most of these issues are simply due to the fact that it is a big two stage snow blower, and are quite common to that class. For the most part, the Ariens 920013 does not have any serious issues that take away from its overall performance in any real way.
- Not CARB compliant : It is very difficult to find a two stage snow blower that has a powerful engine and is also compliant with California Air Resources Board emissions standards. Those standards are fairly strict, and so it is not easy to design a powerful engine that does not produce higher emissions than they allow for. But because of this, the Ariens 920013 is not available for sale in California or a number of other states that enforce CARB regulations.
- Does require some maintenance : When you are dealing with a four-cycle, overhead valve engine like the Ariens 920013 has, you should be prepared for the fact that it is going to require a bit of light maintenance to keep it running smoothly. Now, this does not mean that you need to be a mechanic or anything like that. But you will have to change the oil from time to time or swap out a spark plug every so often.
- It might wake the neighbors : When you start the Ariens 920013 up, you will instantly be able to tell that it is a powerful snow blower when it roars to life. The one drawback to this fact is that your neighbors will probably be aware of that fact as well – unless you live way out in the middle of nowhere. So be aware that the Ariens 920013 produces a lot of noise, and if you use it early in the morning, you might wake the neighbors.
- Doesn’t clear all the way to the pavement : Due to the way that two stage snow blowers like the Ariens 920013 are designed, they generally do not clear all the way down to the surface of the pavement, and tend to leave a thin layer of snow behind. But when you are dealing with very heavy snow fall of a foot or more, the quarter inch that is left behind is not going to be a big deal – just put down rock salt and you’ll be fine.
- May take a bit of practice to operate it : In spite of the fact that it has big, easy to use controls, the Ariens 920013 is a snow blower that may take a bit of practice to get used to. Turning it is not entirely easy, since there is no power steering, and figuring out how to work the snow chute, drive the Ariens 920013, and engage the auger all at the same time is not the easiest task in the world. But with practice, you should be fine.
As I am sure you can see, none of the Cons that I could find on the Ariens 920013 are the kind of issues that are not typical to the vast majority of two-stage snow blowers. For the most part, these Cons do not present the type of serious problems that could take away from all of the outstanding Pros the Ariens 920013 has to offer its owner. And overall, I do think that the Ariens 920013 remains an outstanding snow blower.
As any savvy consumer knows, of course, the single best way to find out if a particular product is the right one for you is by doing a bit of comparison shopping. That way, you can get a good sense of what the market as a whole has to offer. And you can see how your snow blower stacks up to similar models in its class. The following table summarizes the specs of three snow blowers.
|Dimensions||36 x 26 x 29 inches||38 x 26 x 30 inches||38 x 28 x 30 inches|
|Start||Button push||Button push||Button push|
|Engine Manufacturer||Ariens||Briggs & Stratton||Power Smart|
|Engine||208 cc – OHV||249 cc – OHV||208 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Speed Control||4 forward / 2 reverse||6 forward / 2 reverse||4 forward / 2 reverse|
|Clearing Width||22 inches||24 inches||24 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||16 inches||21 inches||16 inches|
|Throw Distance||Up to 40 feet||Up to 50 feet||Up to 35 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 205°||Manual 180°||Manual 180°|
|Wheels||12.5-Inch x 4-inch||15-Inch x 5-inch||13-Inch x 4-inch|
|Weight||199 pounds||276 pounds||158 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||1 year|
As you can see, the Ariens 920013 is the most lightweight and smallest of the three snow blowers. But in spite of that, it still has a comparable clearance width and intake height to the other two models. It has an engine that is powerful enough to throw snow forty feet, and unlike the other two, its snow chute rotates over two hundred degrees. The Ariens 920013 is a compact, efficient alternative to bulkier snow blowers.
By now you can see that the Ariens 920013 has a lot of great features to offer its owner. Although it is smaller and lighter than most snow blowers in its class, it still provides the same kind of clearance that the biggest two-stage snow blowers do. Before you make your final decision, though, let’s take one more look at the Pros and Cons.
- Extra wide clearance.
- High snow clearing ability.
- Powerful 208 cc engine.
- Built tough.
- Great accessories.
The extra wide clearance and high snow removal ability are really two of the best features on the Ariens 920013. But neither would be possible without the extremely powerful engine and tough build of the machine. Plus, it is packed with great accessories that make it easier to use.
- Not CARB compliant.
- Does require some maintenance.
- It might wake the neighbors.
- Doesn’t clear all the way to the pavement.
- May take a bit of practice to operate it.
The Ariens 920013 does not present any of the kind of serious drawbacks that would make it a less than optimal snow blower. It has the typical issues that all two stage snow blowers tend to have, but beyond that it is a very solid, high performance machine. This is as close to perfect as it gets.
When a serious snow storm has just dumped a lot of heavy snow fall on your region, you want to be sure that you have a snow blower in your garage that is up to the task. That means that it has to have a wide auger that can cut through deep snow quickly and efficiently. The Ariens 920013 is just that kind of snow blower. It has everything you need to take care of big jobs fast, and almost no real drawbacks to its design or build.
The Ariens 920013 is a tough, heavy duty snow blower with lots of snow clearing power packed into a very small, lightweight overall package. It is easy to learn how to use it with just a bit of practice, and it should continue to keep your driveway and sidewalks clear for many years. Best of all, it’s very reasonably priced.
The Ariens 920013 is not just a great snow blower – it also has a great price. With everything it has to offer, you might expect it to be as expensive as similar two stage snow blowers are, but the fact is that it comes in well below average for snow blowers in its class. With such a reasonable price tag, there is no reason not to buy this outstanding snow blower. And because it is built durably, it’s going to last you a very long time with minimal maintenance or repairs. That means it will save you lots of money over the years as well.