Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 Review
|(Rated: 4 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower, Best Snow Blower, Gas Snow Blower Buying Guide, Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower Buying Guide, Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower Reviews, Snow Blower Buying Guide, Snow Blower Reviews, Yard-Man, Yard-Man Snow Blowers,|
Winter storms can get to be very serious, and when they drop a lot of snow on your area you want to be sure you have a snow blower in your garage that can take care of big jobs fast. That means a high snow cut depth so you can tackle big drifts easily, and an extra wide clearance so you can deal with large areas with fewer passes. It also requires a powerful engine that can drive the auger through densely packed, icy snow as easily as it can get through powdery or even wet, slushy snow.
And you want it to have the kind of durable parts that are going to last you over the long term. The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is just that kind of snow blower: it’s big, tough, and has a very powerful engine supporting its auger, impeller fan, and six-speed rear wheel drive so you can get the job done quickly and efficiently.
The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a snow blower that is built to handle the toughest conditions without slowing down: this two-stage snow blower is made to deal with deep drifts and densely packed snow as easily as if it were cutting through butter. It has just about everything you could possibly need on a heavy duty snow blower: tough parts, serious engine power, and the kind of extra wide clearance and high snow cut depth that will allow you to finish clearing your driveway of even the deepest snow more quickly than ever.
The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 comes with plenty of great accessories, including extra large wheels for better traction, and drift cutters that allow you to get through big snowdrifts easily. It has power steering and eight speeds to choose from so you are always working at the most comfortable pace for you. The 30 inch wide auger allows you to clear an entire sidewalk in just a single pass, and you can clear the average driveway in less than a half a dozen passes. Because it’s a two-stage snow blower, you can use it just as well on paved or unpaved surfaces without worrying about safety issues. The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a great snow blower.
The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a gas powered two-stage snow blower that weighs 287 pounds and has overall dimensions of 50.5 x 33.5 x 33.8 inches. It has a four cycle, 357 cc engine manufactured by Yard-Man. The engine drives the auger as well as the rear wheel drive, which has six forward and two reverse speeds.
|Dimensions||50.5 x 33.5 x 33.8 inches|
|Engine||357 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Speed Control||6 forward / 2 reverse|
|Clearing Width||30 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||21 inches|
|Throw Distance||Up to 35 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 200°|
|Wheels||16-Inch x 6.5-inch|
The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has a clearing width of 30 inches and a snow cut depth of 21 inches, and includes drift cutters for dealing with deeper snowdrifts. It can throw snow up to 35 feet away through its manually operated snow chute, which rotates 200 degrees. The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has big, deeply treaded wheels for better traction. It comes with a two-year warranty.
As soon as you get the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 out of the box, you can immediately tell that this is a snow blower that means business. Even before you finish getting it fully assembled, it is pretty obvious that the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a machine that can handle the toughest conditions on the ground and deal with extremely heavy snow fall without any problems at all. And getting the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 fully assembled is a breeze: it comes from the manufacturer mostly put together, and all that’s left for you to take care of are small additions like attaching the snow chute and securing the handle. Then, all you have to do is gas it up and you are ready to go.
One of the many features that make the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 such a convenient snow blower to own and operate is the electric start. All you have to do is plug the snow blower into the nearest outlet and flip the starter switch, and it roars to life. No more struggling with a recoil starter cord on cold mornings. The engine is loud, but that is because it is one of the most powerful ones you can find on a two-stage snow blower today. It has a huge displacement, overhead valve design, and is ready to power your Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 reliably for many years to come.
It’s a good thing the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has so much power driving it, too: it has one of the widest clearances you can find on any snow blower, which means that it is going to take a lot to drive the auger. The auger is made of durable stainless steel, which allows it to cut through icy snow as easily as it can powdery snow, and throw it up to 30 feet away. The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is really one great snow blower.
There is really a lot to like on the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701. This is a snow blower that really comes with just about everything you could need to get big jobs done more quickly and efficiently than ever. The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a big, robust machine with lots of great features and accessories, and it is well equipped to deal with the toughest conditions on the ground with no problems. Let’s take a look at some of its best features.
- Powerful 4-cycle engine : The engine on the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a powerful 4-cycle model made by Yard-Man. It has an overhead valve design, which allows it to provide more power in less overall space. And it has a displacement of 357 cubic centimeters, which is huge for a small machine engine like this one. With this kind of power supporting the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701, there is no snow clearing job that is too big or too tough for it to handle.
- Massive clearing width : The powerful engine allows the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 to support a clearing width that is about as big as it gets on two-stage snow blowers. At 30 inches, the clearing width on the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is big enough to allow you to clear a sidewalk in just one pass, and finish clearing a single car driveway in just a few more passes. This clearance will have you finishing big jobs faster than you ever thought possible.
- Eight speed options : It is always great to have a self-propelled rear wheel drive on a snow blower, but even better is to have one that has more speeds than average. The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has six forward speeds and two reverse, which means that you will always be able to pick the one that is just right for your own pace. It also allows you to adjust to conditions on the ground so that you are operating with max efficiency.
- Great accessories : The accessories are going to be the category that has the potential to take a good snow blower and make it great, and on the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 that’s exactly what they do. The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has power steering to make operating it easier. It’s got drift cutters included for dealing with deep snowdrifts. It has a snow chute that rotates twenty degrees more than average. And it has deeply treaded, big tires for more traction.
- Durable parts : After everything else is said and done, you want your snow blower to have the kind of tough parts that are going to allow it to hold up over the years, especially when you are using it to take care of big, difficult jobs. With a stainless steel auger and a stamped steel frame and body, the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is made of the toughest materials you could ask for on a snow blower. It’s built to last.
I think you will agree that the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a great snow blower with just about everything you could possibly need to take care of big snow clearing jobs more quickly than ever before. With its superior engine, extra wide clearance and high snow cut depth, durable parts and great accessories, the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is crafted to handle lots of snow as efficiently as possible. This is a great machine to have when big storms hit.
You may be surprised to find that even on a big, powerful snow blower with lots of great amenities like the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701, there is still room for improvement. But unfortunately it is the case. While I don’t think that any of the drawbacks that the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 presents are very serious, one or two of them would be easily fixed, and it is too bad that they haven’t been. Still, it’s a great snow blower in spite of these Cons.
- Very large footprint : When you have a snow blower that is supporting the kind of clearance width that the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has, you are going to naturally expect it to have a pretty big footprint: you can’t have one without the other. But this will mean that it is going to take up a lot of space in your garage or tool shed, which may present mild logistical issues. Just be ready for it to need a big parking spot.
- Not CARB compliant : It’s also fairly uncommon to find a two-stage snow blower that is able to take care of big jobs and has an engine that is compliant with California Air Resources Board emissions standards. The engine on the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is not, which will not be a problem unless you live in any one of the fourteen states that enforce CARB emissions standards, in which case you will not be able to buy or use this great machine.
- It’s rather heavy : The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is carrying a lot of weight: it has the big 357 cubic centimeter engine, an extra wide auger made of stainless steel, a rear wheel drive, and other heavy components. As a result, the snow blower as a whole weighs a lot. Once you are operating it, this shouldn’t be a problem thanks to the rear wheel drive, but getting it in and out of the garage when it’s not running could be tough.
- No headlight available : With all of its other great accessories, I was surprised to find that the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 does not come with any sort of headlight on it. This is the main drawback that could have been easily fixed by Yard-Man, especially considering the cost of the snow blower. Headlights are extremely useful, especially when you are clearing early in the morning during short winter days, and I really wish the company had included one on this model.
- Engine is loud : When you are dealing with a 357 cc, four-cycle engine with overhead valve design, it’s going to be making a lot of noise. That’s just part of what you get with that much power, and in my opinion it’s a small drawback when you consider what it is capable of. But it does mean that if you have neighbors who like to sleep in, you might run the risk of waking them up on early mornings.
As you will probably agree, none of the drawbacks presented by the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 are the kind of serious problems that can really take away at all from all of the machine’s great Pros. Most of these Cons are what you would find on any two-stage snow blower, and in spite of them, the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 still has everything you need to get big snow clearing jobs finished quickly. This remains a very good snow blower.
Pros and Cons lists can tell you a lot about what a particular machine has to offer, but as savvy shoppers know, the single best way to get a good sense of whether a snow blower is right for you is to do some comparison shopping. That way you can tell how it stacks up to the competition, as well as get a better picture of what the market as a whole has to offer.
|Dimensions||50.5 x 33.5 x 33.8 inches||36 x 26 x 29 inches||37 x 50.9 x 32 inches|
|Start||Button push||Button push||Button push|
|Engine Manufacturer||Yard-Man||Power Smart||Poulan Pro|
|Engine||357 cc – OHV||208 cc – OHV||291cc – OHV LCT|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Speed Control||6 forward / 2 reverse||4 forward / 2 reverse||4 forward / 2 reverse|
|Clearing Width||30 inches||22 inches||30 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||21 inches||16 inches||23 inches|
|Throw Distance||Up to 35 feet||Up to 35 feet||Up to 35 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 200°||Manual 180°||Manual 180°|
|Wheels||16-Inch x 6.5-inch||12.5-Inch x 4-inch||16-Inch x 5-inch|
|Weight||287 pounds||154 pounds||268 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||1 year||2 years|
As you can see, the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has the most powerful engine of the three models by far. That means it will be better equipped to take care of densely packed, slushy, or icy snow without getting slowed down. It is also the only one of the three to have six forward speeds. Add to that its massive clearance width and high snow cut depth, and I think of the three, the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is the best.
Purchasing a big, two-stage snow blower is a pretty big step, and you want to be absolutely sure that you are getting the best model for you. With that in mind, I think it is a good idea to take another quick look at the Pros and Cons lists before you decide to buy the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701.
- Powerful 4-cycle engine.
- Massive clearing width.
- Eight speed options.
- Great accessories.
- Durable parts.
With its extremely powerful engine driving an auger that has the biggest clearing width you can find on a two-stage snow blower, a high intake and great accessories and options, the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is one of the best models on the market today. It has a lot to offer and will last you for many years.
- Very large footprint.
- Not CARB compliant.
- It’s rather heavy.
- No headlight available.
- Engine is loud.
While it is a heavy, big machine, and it produces a fair amount of emissions and a lot of noise, these Cons are all par for the course on a heavy-duty snow blower that is designed for big, tough jobs. While a headlight would be nice, the lack of one doesn’t affect the machine’s performance.
The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is the kind of big, powerful, heavy-duty snow blower that is built to deliver great performance even under some of the most adverse conditions on the ground. It has everything you need to deal with obstinate snow drifts quickly and efficiently. With one of the most powerful engines you can find in a two-stage snow blower today, it’s got everything it needs to drive its extra wide auger through the toughest patches of snow without getting slowed down one bit.
The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 has a high snow cut depth as well as drift cutters so you will always be prepared for even the worst winter storms can bring. It’s packed with awesome accessories like power steering and extra forward speeds. That means it will always be easier to use than other models. And its durable parts mean that it will be clearing your driveway for many years to come.
The Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is not a budget snow blower – which means that while it will not be cheap, it is also not going to be cheaply made. This is a snow blower that is built to last for a very long time and take care of big jobs year after year without losing anything in terms of power or performance. While the price tag may scare off buyers on a budget, shoppers who know that you get what you pay for will understand that the extra cost is well worth it on a tool like this one. Overall I think the Yard-Man 31AH55LH701 is a solid snow blower at a fair price.