Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 Review
|(Rated: 3.6 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Electric Snow Blower, Best Snow Blower, Electric Snow Blower Reviews, Snow Blower Reviews, Troy-Bilt, Troy-Bilt Snow Blowers,|
When you have the right snow blower in your garage – one that is well equipped to deal with any job, big or small – you don’t have to worry about winter storms. A proper snow blower takes a lot of the stress and hassle out of dealing with winter, and there is no reason you should not be able to find one that is just right for your needs.
When you have a smaller or medium sized driveway to keep clear of snow, and you do not have to worry about very serious winter blizzards dropping several feet at once, a compact, electric snow blower like the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 can be perfect for you. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 has everything you need to keep a medium sized driveway free of moderate snow fall all winter long. With this snow blower in your garage, you will be truly prepared for whatever winter brings your way.
The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is really the perfect snow blower for homeowners who have small to medium sized driveways and do not have to expect very serious snow storms during the winter. With this snow blower in your garage, you will be very well prepared for dealing with winter snow storms and keeping your driveway and sidewalks clear. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is a lightweight, compact snow blower that will not take up a lot of space in your garage or tool shed but still packs a decent amount of snow clearing power. It’s also light enough that just about anyone will find it very easy to operate.
And the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is an electric snow blower – which means that it will never produce a single carbon emission at the point of use. This means that by switching over to using this snow blower, you can seriously reduce your household’s overall carbon footprint this winter. But because it has a powerful motor, with the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 you will not have to lose anything in terms of power or performance when you do make the switch to electric. With the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 on your team, you will be completely prepared for whatever winter may bring.
The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is an electric single stage snow blower that weighs just 29 pounds and has overall dimensions of 41 x 16.5 x 34 inches. It has a powerful 11 amp motor driving its auger, which gives it plenty of juice to finish big jobs more quickly.
|Dimensions||41 x 16.5 x 34 inches|
|Clearing Width||14 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||9-1/2 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 400 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 20 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°|
The clearance width on the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is 14 inches, and it has a snow cut depth of 9 ½ inches, making it well equipped to clear medium sized driveways of moderate amounts of snow fall. It can throw snow up to 20 feet away through its manually operated snow chute. It comes with a 2 year warranty.
When you get the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 out of its box, you may be surprised at first by how small and lightweight it is. This is a snow blower that is packing a lot of snow clearing power into a very compact unit – its overall dimensions make it one of the smaller single stage snow blowers on the market. But don’t be fooled by its size. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 still has a lot to offer the homeowner with a medium sized driveway and sidewalks to keep clear this winter. And because it is so small, you will have no trouble finding enough storage space for it in your garage or tool shed. And it’s light enough that even senior citizens will have no problems using it.
The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 manages to have a clearance width that is more than a foot wide in spite of its small total size. And it has a solid snow clearing capacity, at 400 pounds per minute. That is the kind of capacity you want on your snow blower when conditions are tough and you have a bigger accumulation to deal with. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 has what it takes to deal with big jobs fast.
And because the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is an electric snow blower, you never have to worry about having enough gas on hand, or deal with starting up a combustion engine in freezing temperatures. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 starts right up every time with its convenient electric push button starter and it runs very reliably as well. Because it is built of solid, durable parts, the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 has everything it needs to last for many years and continually supply reliable snow clearing power for many winters to come. This is a snow blower that is going to be on your side for a long, long time.
There is a lot to like on the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400. This is a tough little snow blower that is built to perform well over the long term. It is compact and doesn’t weigh a whole lot, but it still has a lot of snow clearing ability. It is good for the environment but also has a powerful motor that keeps it running smoothly even under the worst conditions. And it delivers solid ability even though it isn’t very expensive.
- Lightweight and compact : The size and weight of the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is really fairly impressive, especially when you consider its ability to clear a lot of snow from a big area quickly. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is small enough that you could easily find enough room for it even in a tool shed that’s already pretty full. And because it weighs less than thirty pounds, it should be easy enough for anyone to operate it, regardless of their strength level.
- Environmentally friendly : Electric snow blowers like the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 produce zero emissions at the point of use – which is something that definitely can’t be said for their gas powered counterparts. Gas snow blowers, along with other small engine yard machines, are responsible for a serious amount of carbon emissions in the United States. By switching over to an electric model like the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400, you can take serious steps to helping the environment without losing any snow clearing ability.
- Powerful 11 amp motor : That’s because the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is equipped with a powerful 11 amp motor – which packs enough power to drive the auger through even the toughest conditions. It will not draw too much power from the breaker, so you can plug it into any outlet, but it still has enough juice to deliver reliable power to the snow blower. This is really the best of both worlds: you get all the power you need from a quiet motor.
- Durable parts : You do not just want your snow blower to be environmentally friendly and powerful. You also need to make sure that it will be built tough enough to stand up to difficult conditions on the ground for many years without losing anything in terms of power or performance. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is. It is built from tough composite plastic parts that will be resistant to scratches and dents and hold up no matter how tough conditions get.
- Solid ability : The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 has the ability to clear up to 400 pounds of snow per minute, which is a really solid number. While other snow blowers are able to clear a lot more than that, 400 pounds is still a lot of snow, and in most conditions it will be more than enough to take care of big jobs fast. If you do not live in a region that gets a ton of snow in the winter, this capacity is perfect.
I think that you will agree with me that the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is the kind of solid single stage snow blower that will be everything you need if you have the right conditions for it. It is compact and lightweight, and it’s designed to deal with moderate snow accumulation in smaller driveways quickly and efficiently. It really has everything you need to keep the average suburban driveway clear of moderate snow fall all winter long.
Of course, no snow blower is perfect, and with a compact budget snow blower like the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400, you will definitely encounter limitations as to what it is capable of doing. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is designed to take care of a fairly specific set of conditions – that is, moderate snow fall on a small to medium sized driveway. That means that you can’t exactly take it off-roading, but for most conditions it will hold up just fine.
- Clearance is not huge : Some users may take issue with the fact that the clearance width on the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is just 14 inches. This means that it will take about two passes to clear the average sidewalk, and several more to get a one car driveway clear. But if you have a small or medium sized driveway, 14 inches should be more than sufficient to get the job done. And if you are just clearing sidewalks, it’s more than set.
- Intake could be higher : As with the clearance width, the snow cut depth on the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is not the highest in the world. But if you live in an area that gets consistent but not very heavy snow fall though the winter, or if you can only expect a few winter storms, the 9 1/2 inch snow cut depth could be completely perfect for you. If you don’t have to deal with heavy snow fall, there is no reason to get a huge snow blower with an overly high intake.
- May struggle with wet snow : This can be a fairly chronic problem with electric and even some gas single stage snow blowers. Because the auger is doing all of the work of moving the snow, when you encounter heavy, slushy snow, it is going to have difficulty throwing it the full twenty feet through the snow chute. But the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 will get through it; it’s just going to take a little more time to finish the job.
- Throws snow a max of 20 feet : The maximum distance that the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 can throw snow –even light, powdery snow that doesn’t weigh a lot – is just 20 feet. That should be more than enough when you are clearing a sidewalk or even a medium sized driveway, but it may present clearance issues if you are trying to use the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 to remove snow from a larger area. Still, with the snow chute that rotates 180 degrees, in most cases this should be fine.
- Has difficulty with hard packed snow : While the auger on the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is designed to avoid chipping concrete – and that is a good thing – it also means that it may have some difficulty grinding through hard packed, icy snow. Because of this, you want to be sure that you use the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 to clear snow before it has been walked on or you’ve driven over it. Otherwise, you may find that it has problems getting snow up off the ground.
I think that these Cons do not really present the kind of design flaws that would cause me to give the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 a bad product review. Instead, they are simply limitations that are the result of what this snow blower is designed to do. It’s not meant for heavy snow fall on unpaved surfaces. But if you are using it to clear a shorter, paved driveway of moderate snow fall, it will do just fine.
Of course, just by reading Pros and Cons lists alone, you will not be able to get a really comprehensive picture of what a particular snow blower has to offer as compared to similar models made by the competition. The best way to get a good idea of how one snow blower like the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 stacks up is to do some comparison shopping. The following table compares it with two similar snow blowers made by other manufacturers. Let’s take a look.
|Dimensions||41 x 16.5 x 34 inches||47 x 18 x 36.2 inches||45 x 19 x 38 inches|
|Start||Button push||Button push||Button push|
|Motor||11 amp||15 amp
|Clearing Width||14 inches||18 inches||18 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||9-1/2 inches||12 inches||10 inches|
|Capacity / Minute||Up to 400 pounds||Up to 700 pounds||Up to 650 pounds|
|Throw Distance||Up to 20 feet||Up to 30 feet||Up to 20 feet|
|Drive||Manual push||Manual push||Manual push|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°||Handle 180°||Handle 180°|
|Wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels||Compact wheels|
|Weight||29 pounds||26 pounds||31.5 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years||2 years|
As you can see, both the Toro and the Snow Joe are packing more power, and as a result they can support wider clearances, higher snow cut depths, and considerably larger per-minute clearance capacities than the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 can. At the same time, the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is the most compact of the three machines, which is going to make it easier to store and maneuver than the other two. It is also quite a bit less expensive than the other two models are.
At the end of the day, buying a new snow blower, no matter how affordable it is, is still a pretty major purchase. You want to be absolutely sure that you are getting the one that is right for your needs before you decide to buy it. In that spirit, let’s take another look at the Pros and Cons lists for the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Powerful 11 amp motor.
- Durable parts.
- Solid ability.
The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 really has everything you could want on a single-stage electric snow blower. It doesn’t weigh too much or take up a lot of space in the garage. It produces zero emissions at the point of use, but still has a motor that provides enough power to give it solid snow clearing ability.
- Clearance is not huge.
- Intake could be higher.
- May struggle with wet snow.
- Throws snow a max of 20 feet.
- Has difficulty with hard packed snow.
While it does not have the widest clearance or the highest snow cut depth, the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is still well equipped to handle moderate amounts of snow fall and clear small to medium sized driveways quickly and efficiently. It may have difficulty with wet or hard packed snow, but those are not uncommon problems for an electric single stage snow blower. Overall it is still a solid little machine.
When it comes to keeping your driveway clear of moderate amounts of snow fall this winter, the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 has everything you will need to get the job done. It packs a lot of ability into a fairly compact, lightweight package that is designed to handle small to medium sized driveways quickly and efficiently. And because it is electric, the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 will never produce a single carbon emission at the point of use.
You won’t ever have to worry about maintaining its engine or changing oil, and you won’t have to keep smelly gas cans in your garage or struggle with a recoil starter on a cold morning. But at the same time, you will get all of the power and reliability you need to keep your driveway clear. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is built of solid materials that are meant to last for many years. This may be the last snow blower you will ever need.
One of the best features of the Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is its price tag. This is a compact, high performance snow blower – but it is also extremely affordable. That means you can get all of the snow clearing power you need to keep your driveway free of snow this winter, but you won’t have to break the bank in order to get it. The Troy-Bilt Flurry 1400 is one of the least expensive single-stage electric snow blowers on the market today. And because you don’t have to buy gas to operate it, it will pay for itself in savings in just a year or two. That’s what I call a real bargain.