Swisher ZT2760B Review
|(Rated: 4.5 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Lawn Mower, Best Zero Turn Mower, Lawn Mower Reviews, Swisher, Swisher Lawn Mowers, Zero Turn Mower Reviews,|
Do you own a large property that has a lawn that is over an acre in size? If so, you probably are already familiar with the need to own a riding mower in order to maintain it. Big yards can’t be cared for efficiently with a walk behind mower – they are simply too small to get the job done. But riding mowers have several advantages that make them just right for big jobs. These powerhouses have big engines that are able to support much wider cutting decks than other mowers as well as top speeds that work together to finish the job more quickly than ever. And among the riding mowers, zero turn mowers are by far the biggest, fastest, and most maneuverable you can find.
The Swisher ZT2760B has all of the benefits of a big zero turn mower, but it is designed for residential use. It has an engine that is manufactured by Briggs & Stratton, a trusted name and a leader in the industry. It has a huge 60 inch cutting deck that can cut your lawn in fewer passes and less time. The cutting deck is made from welded steel, which means it will be the most durable cutting deck you can get. And it has the kind of maneuverability that zero turn mowers are known for. It offers all of these features at a moderate price. Overall this is a great residential grade zero turn mower for homeowners with lawns that are over an acre in size.
The Swisher ZT2760B has the kind of maneuverability that zero turn mowers are famous for. It has a Dual Eaton manufactured hydrostatic transmission that is designed to provide high quality performance for the best possible maneuverability. This mower can turn on its central axis 360 degrees without stopping or slowing down, which means it will be able to negotiate tight corners without difficulty. It can also maneuver around obstacles on the lawn such as trees and garden beds. That means you will spend less time edging or trimming the lawn after you are done mowing it and more time enjoying the rest of your weekend.
This zero turn mower has excellent parts under the hood as well. Its engine is an Extended Life Series model manufactured by Briggs & Stratton. This manufacturer is a trusted name and leader in the engine manufacturing industry. The Extended Life Series is designed to stand up to repeated use on tough jobs over the long term. It has easy maintenance points integrated with longer lasting components so that it saves you time and money over the long term. This is a premium engine that offers world class power, performance and reliability, with features such as Magnetron electric ignition, a large, double barreled carburetor and a sophisticated debris management system to keep the engine clean and running optimally.
The Swisher ZT2760B is a big zero turn mower. It has a cutting deck width of 60 inches – that’s a full five feet! And it has three cutting blades made out of fabricated steel, so you can be certain that it will have no trouble handling big lawns with tough grass varieties like St. Augustine or Bermuda grass. Along with the top forward speed of six mph, the five foot wide cutting deck allows the Swisher ZT2760B to cut an acre in about a half an hour. That’s pretty fast. The cutting deck has eight height positions between 1.5 and 5 inches, and there is a convenient spring loaded manual assist for raising or lowering the deck.
There are a few issues associated with this zero turn mower that I will get into more detail with in the Cons section. To briefly mention them here, the Swisher ZT2760B needs a lot of maintenance. With all of its maneuverability and high performance, it still requires the user to provide more servicing and maintenance than one might expect on a residential grade zero turn mower that is priced in the mid range. Of course, if you are a mechanically inclined person, this will probably not be too much of a problem for you, but you should bear in mind going forward that you will have to do some tinkering to keep the Swisher ZT2760B running well for the long term.
The mower has a two year consumer warranty, and it is affordably priced in the mid range for residential grade zero turn mowers that are in the same size class. That means you can get all of the advantages of owning a big, powerful, maneuverable zero turn mower without having to spend the kind of prices you would expect for a machine of this caliber.
The Swisher ZT2760B has overall dimensions of 70.1 x 60.3 x 31.9 inches, which make it rather compact for a zero turn mower with such a large cutting deck. It has a gas powered, Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine. The engine is designed to be long lasting and require minimal maintenance from the owner. The mower has a Dual Eaton hydrostatic transmission that provides variable power to the rear wheel drive. This allows the mower to be highly maneuverable and even turn 360 degrees on its central axis without stopping or slowing down. The gas tank holds a full eight gallons so that you will not have to refuel the mower even in the middle of big jobs. It has a key start, and the engine has a Magnetron electronic ignition to ensure reliable startup every time. It has a top forward and reverse speed of 6.0 mph.
|Dimensions||70.1 x 60.3 x 31.9 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine Specs||Extended Life Series|
|Gas Tank||8.00 Galons|
|Number of Blades||3|
|Max Speed||6.0 mph forward / 6.0 mph reverse|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (8 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 5-inch|
|Wheel Size||11×4-inch front / 18×10-inch rear|
The cutting deck on the Swisher ZT2760B is a full 60 inches wide. That means this machine has one of the biggest cutting decks available on a residential grade zero turn mower. The mower has three cutting blades made of 11 gauge fabricated steel, which means they are tough enough to handle even the densest grasses. The cutting deck has eight height options ranging between 1.5 and 5 inches in height. And the cutting deck is equipped with a convenient spring loaded manual assist to make raising or lowering it easier. The mower has a single side discharge option for grass clippings management. Its front wheels are 11 x 4 inches and its rear wheels are 18 x 10 inches. The driver’s seat has an 18 inch seatback for better comfort and support. It also has convenient features such as a storage compartment, textured anti-slip mats, an hour meter and standard rear hitch for towing.
The Swisher ZT2760B is a residential grade zero turn mower with a Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine. The engine is designed with trouble free maintenance points to make upkeep as easy as possible. And it is manufactured from long lasting, durable components to ensure it saves you time and money over the years. The engine offers world class power, quality performance and steadfast reliability. It has features such as a Magnetron electronic ignition to ensure it starts up every time with no hassles, an advanced waste management system to keep it running smoothly, and a large twin barrel carburetor. The engine is designed to meet California Air Resource Board approval, so this mower can be used anywhere in the country.
The mower has a hydrostatic transmission designed by Dual Eaton that provides differential power to the rear wheel drive, which is what allows it to be so maneuverable. The mower can maneuver around trees and garden beds, and make tight turns and corner in small spaces easily. That means you will have to spend less time edging and trimming your lawn after you are done mowing it. The transmission provides top forward and reverse speeds of 6.0 mph, which along with the massive cutting deck will allow you to finish the job more quickly than ever.
The cutting deck is a full sixty inches wide. That’s five feet, which is about as big as it gets on residential grade zero turn mowers. The cutting deck features three mulching blades fabricated from 11 gauge welded steel. They are durable enough to stand up to even the toughest varieties of grass, such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass. And they will not need to be sharpened as often as blades made from stamped or smaller gauge steel have to be. The blades cut your grass into superfine pieces that are small enough to break down easily on the lawn. This allows them to add valuable nitrogen and other important nutrients to the soil, which will cut down on the amount of fertilizing and feeding you will have to do for your lawn in order to keep it looking its best all summer long.
Another important aspect of keeping your lawn looking its best is making sure you are always cutting it at the optimal height. You should avoid cutting your grass any shorter than 1/3 its current height. Doing so can make the lawn more susceptible to brown patches, spotting, and the effects of drought. Fortunately the Swisher ZT2760B has eight cutting heights between 1.5 and 5 inches to ensure you will always be able to cut your lawn at the best possible height to keep it looking great. And the cutting deck has a spring loaded manual assist so that raising or lowering it is easier than ever. The cutting deck is also equipped with anti-scalping wheels. These are designed to make sure that you are not accidentally cutting the grass too short while you are driving over uneven or hilly ground.
The cockpit of the Swisher ZT2760B is designed with two things in mind: comfort and convenience. The seat has foam padding and an 18 inch high seat back for optimal lumbar support. The seat also has six inch armrests on a slide adjustment so that you are always riding in the best possible comfort. The steering levers that control the rear wheel drive are also padded and positioned for convenient use. And the controls in the cockpit are all conveniently arrayed for easy use. The cockpit also features such bonuses as textured anti-slip grit mats on the floor, a storage compartment for ear protection, gloves, or tools, an hour meter and a standard rear hitch.
The Swisher ZT2760B comes with a two year consumer warranty to protect you against any problems or malfunctioning parts, although with its superb craftsmanship and high quality design and construction, it is not likely that most buyers will ever need to use it. And the mower has a very competitive price. It falls in the mid range of pricing for zero turn mowers. Considering the fact that the Swisher ZT2760B has such a wide deck size, a top of the line Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series V-Twin engine, three cutting blades made of welded 11 gauge steel, and a convenient and ergonomic cockpit, its price is very reasonable. All in all this is a great residential grade zero turn mower at a great price.
Zero turn mowers are a good choice if you have a big property with over an acre of grass to cut. These big machines have wider cutting decks, higher forward speeds and much better turning and maneuverability than other riding mowers. The Swisher ZT2760B has a number of great features that make it an excellent zero turn mower option for residential use. It has a best in class Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine that provides the kind of power and performance you need for a heavy duty mower. It has a huge five foot wide cutting deck with three sharp cutting blades to ensure you are mowing your lawn as efficiently as possible. The Swisher ZT2760B is lightweight and compact, which will make it easier to maneuver and store. It has eight height settings so that you will always be giving your lawn the healthiest possible cut. And the cockpit is designed to be as comfortable as possible. Let’s explore these great features in some more detail.
- Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series Engine for higher performance : The Swisher ZT2760B has an engine that was designed to deliver high quality performance for a long time. Briggs & Stratton is a leader in engine manufacturing for lawn mowers. The Extended Life Series V-Twin engine provides 27 HP to reliably drive the mower as well as power the three cutting blades at top speed. It is designed with easy maintenance points and long lasting components in order to save you time and money over the years. This engine has a Magnetron electronic ignition to ensure reliable startup every time, a dual element air cleaner and a double barrel carburetor. These features help the ELS engine offer world class power, performance and reliability over the long term.
- Massive 60 inch cutting deck with three blades for more efficiency : One of the best reasons to purchase a zero turn mower, aside from its excellent maneuverability, is because these mowers feature some of the biggest cutting decks on any riding mowers out there. The Swisher ZT2760B has a 60 inch cutting deck. That’s a fully five foot wide cutting swath, and it will have you finishing jobs more quickly than ever. 60 inches is about as big as it gets on residential grade zero turn mowers these days. The cutting deck has three mulching blades manufactured from 11 gauge welded steel, so you will be consistently cutting through even tougher or denser grasses without losing performance from them or needing to sharpen them too often.
- Lightweight and compact for easier storage : Even with its powerful Briggs & Stratton engine and massive 60 inch cutting deck, the Swisher ZT2760B is still relatively compact and lightweight, especially as zero turn mowers are concerned. It has overall dimensions of 70.1 x 60.3 x 31.9 inches, making it only slightly longer than it is wide. The side discharge chute can be removed or folded up for more convenient storage, and the mower will barely take up half a parking space in a two car garage, leaving you plenty of room for other tools or the family car. The Swisher ZT2760B is lightweight, too, at only 598 pounds. The compact size and low weight of the mower both contribute to its overall maneuverability, as well, making it much easier to operate than bulkier, heavier zero turn mowers.
- Eight height options for a healthier cut : In order to keep your lawn looking and feeling its best, you will need to be cutting it at the right height. You should avoid cutting your grass any shorter than 1/3 its total height, as doing so can make it susceptible to the effects of drought, certain diseases, or encroachment by crab grass or weeds. The Swisher ZT2760B conveniently has eight height options between 1.5 and 5 inches so that you can always be cutting the grass at the optimal height. And the cutting deck has a spring loaded manual lift to help make adjusting the height easier. In addition, the cutting deck as anti-scalping wheels so that you do not run the risk of accidentally cutting the grass too short while you are maneuvering on uneven ground.
- Ergonomically designed cockpit for better comfort while you operate it : The cockpit of the Swisher ZT2760B is designed with comfort and convenience in mind, and it shows. The driver’s seat is foam padded and has an eighteen inch high seat back for better comfort and lumbar support. The seat also has adjustable six inch armrests that slide forward for a more comfortable grip on the steering levers. The steering levers in turn are padded and angled for easy operation. The cockpit also has convenient features such as a storage compartment for safety equipment or tools, an hour meter and standard rear hitch for towing, and textured anti-slip grit mats for better safety while mounting or dismounting the mower.
All of these great features combine to make the Swisher ZT2760B one of the best residential grade zero turn mowers available on the market today. And they are all included at a very reasonable price. The powerful Briggs & Stratton engine is designed to provide the kind of power and performance you need on a big zero turn mower. The wide cutting deck, along with the top forward speed of 6.0 mph, ensure that you will be able to tackle big jobs quickly, and you will be able to cut an acre of grass in about half an hour. The mower packs all of that power and big cutting deck into a relatively compact size and weight class. And the mower’s handy spring loaded height adjustment lift and ergonomic design ensure that you are always riding in the highest comfort and enjoying the most convenient experience while using it.
At the same time, not every aspect of the Swisher ZT2760B is absolutely perfect, and it is important that you get a good picture of the areas where it is lacking before you decide to go ahead and buy one. While it has great features like the Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine and massive 60 inch cutting deck, it also has a number of aspects that many buyers would consider red flags. This mower requires a lot of maintenance, so it may not be ideal for less mechanically inclined users. Certain parts of it, like the motor belts and wheel ball bearings, are fairly low grade. The mower only has one grass management option, which some users may find problematic. And it has trouble maneuvering over very hilly or uneven terrain, so if that describes your yard you may want to stay away. I will go into all of these cons in some more detail below.
- The mower requires a lot of maintenance : Even though the Swisher ZT2760B has a high performance Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine and generally has good manufacturing and construction, it nevertheless does need a lot of maintenance. This is not altogether uncommon for zero turn mowers, or riding mowers in general. These are high performance machines that will need periodic servicing and maintenance from their owners. But the Swisher ZT2760B requires more maintenance than many other residential grade zero turn mowers, particularly ones that are more expensive. If you are not very mechanically inclined, this may not be the right zero turn mower for you. But if you do not mind tinkering with your machine regularly, or enjoying getting under the hood, this may not be such a drawback.
- You will probably need to replace mower belts regularly : The belts that drive the three cutting blades on the deck of the Swisher ZT2760B are not particularly durable, and with repeated use, you will eventually find that they will slip off their housing or break altogether. Again, replacing belts on engines is not uncommon, and it is part of general servicing that you will have to expect when you own a big, high performance machine like this one. But as with maintenance, the mower belts need servicing and replacement more often than is typical for zero turn mowers, and that can eventually become quite a big hassle. If you do decide to buy this mower, I recommend immediately upgrading the mower belts to a bigger, more robust size in order to minimize this problem.
- Ball bearings on the mower are low grade : While the Swisher ZT2760B is marketed as “made in America,” and it is in fact assembled and manufactured in the United States, certain of its parts are made overseas. The ball bearings on the mower’s wheels and blade assemblies in particular are made in China, and they have somewhat subpar craftsmanship. As a result, the ball bearings can break down or even fall apart after repeated use on big jobs. You may not experience this problem while you own the Swisher ZT2760B, but you should be prepared for the possibility that the ball bearings will be a hassle over the long term.
- There is only one grass management option : You only have the option of engaging the three blades and discharging grass clippings out the side of the mower. There are no accessories for bagging grass clippings or engaging a mulching plug for an ultra fine cut. At the same time, it is important to note that the Swisher ZT2760B’s three blades are made from 11 gauge welded steel designed to provide a kind of mulch to the clippings. Most users will be generally satisfied with the size of the grass clippings the cutting deck produces, as they are small enough to break down relatively quickly into the lawn. But if you prefer to bag your grass clippings for later disposal or composting, then this is probably not the right zero turn mower for your needs.
- Mower does not handle steep grades or hills very well : Like many zero turn mowers that have a high center of gravity, the Swisher ZT2760B does not maneuver very well on steep grades or hills. If you have a lawn that is relatively flat and broad, then this will not pose much of a problem for you. But if you do have rolling ground or property located on a steep grade, this may not be the right mower for you. It handles slopes with some difficulty. And more importantly, the zero turn mower does not have important safety features like a personal safety roll bar to protect the driver in the event that it falls over on a hill. If you have a yard with a lot of hills, you may want to look into a different mower.
Taking all of that into consideration, you should have a better idea as to whether this is the right zero turn mower for you. While it does have great pros such as the powerful Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine, an ultra wide cutting deck for more efficient cuts, and convenient design and bonus features like the storage box and hour meter, it still has a number of drawbacks. You will probably have to provide more servicing and maintenance to this mower than you may be ready or willing to do. The mower has certain parts that tend to break down fairly easily. The mower only has one grass clippings management option. And the mower does not work well on hilly or uneven ground, and lacks safety features that protect the operator from rollovers. If any of these issues strike you as major red flags, or if the cons collectively outweigh the pros I described above, then you may want to consider shopping around a bit before you choose a zero turn mower for you.
It is always a very good idea to compare the product you are considering buying with a few similar ones in the same class. By looking at the individual specifications that each one offers, as well as each product as a whole, you can get a better idea about how different zero turn mowers stack up against the competition. Not only does this give you a good idea of what an individual product has to offer, but it also gives you a better idea of what the market as a whole is like. In order to make this process a bit easier for you, I have provided a table below that compares the specs of the Swisher ZT2760B to those of the Husqvarna RZ5424 and the Stanley 54ZS. Each one is a residential grade zero turn mower with a fairly large cutting deck size. Let’s take a look at what they have to offer.
|Dimensions||70.1 x 60.3 x 31.9 inches||75.1 x 67.5 x 39.9 inches||83.1 x 64.5 x 45.8 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Briggs & Stratton||Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|Engine Specs||Extended Life Series||FR Series
|Gas Tank||8.00 Galons||3.50 Galons||7.50 Galons|
|Deck Size(cutting swath)||60-inch||54-inch||54-inch|
|Number of Blades||3||3||2|
|Productivity||N/A||2.8 Acres / Hour||N/A|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Side discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Side discharge|
|Max Speed||6.0 mph forward
6.0 mph reverse
|6.5 mph forward
3.5 mph reverse
|10.0 mph forward
10.0 mph reverse
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (8 positions)||Single lever (6 positions)||Single lever (8 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 5-inch||1-1/2- to 4-1/2-inch||1-1/2- to 5-inch|
|Wheel Size||11×4-inch front
|Weight||598 pounds||640 pounds||1000 pounds|
|Warranty||2 years||3 years||Lifetime|
As you can see, the Swisher ZT2760B has both the largest cutting deck – at 60 inches – and the smallest overall dimensions, at 70.1 x 60.3 x 31.9 inches. That combines the benefits of a big, efficient cutting swath with the convenience of easy storage in a smaller space and better maneuverability in tight spaces. It is also the lightest of the three zero turn mowers. The Swisher ZT2760B also has the biggest gas tank, which means you will not have to refuel it in the middle of a big, two acre job. It has three cutting blades, like the Husqvarna RZ5424. The Swisher ZT2760B is the only one of the three that has a Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine, while both of the other zero turn mowers have Kawasaki FR series engines. The Swisher ZT2760B has the slowest forward speed of the three mowers, at 6.0 mph, while the Stanley is the fastest, at 10 mph in forward and reverse. The Stanley is also the only one of the three with a personal safety roll bar to protect the driver in the event of rollovers. The Swisher ZT2760B has the shortest warranty of the three, at only two years; the Husqvarna has a three year warranty and the Stanley has a lifetime warranty.
A zero turn mower is a great investment for the homeowner who has a big property with a lot of grass that needs cutting. These mowers have the biggest cutting decks, the fastest forward speeds, and some of the most powerful engines of any riding mower on the market. In addition to that they are far and away the most maneuverable riding mowers available today. They have variable rear wheel drives that allow the operator to turn the mower on tight corners and even spin around 360 degrees without stopping or slowing down. That means that they are able to get much closer to lawn obstacles such as trees or garden beds, which will all but eliminate the need for edging or trimming once you are finished cutting the lawn. Let’s take another look at all of the features the Swisher ZT2760B has to offer, as well as some of the drawbacks associated with it as described above.
- Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series Engine for higher performance.
- Massive 60 inch cutting deck with three blades for more efficiency.
- Lightweight and compact for easier storage.
- Eight height options for a healthier cut.
- Ergonomically designed cockpit for better operator comfort.
The Swisher ZT2760B is equipped with an engine that is manufactured by one of the top names in the industry. The Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine is designed to deliver high quality performance for a long time. It has easy access maintenance points and is made of durable parts to ensure that it continues providing the power you need for many years to come. The mower has a huge 60 inch cutting deck that provides the kind of wide cutting swath you need to finish big jobs efficiently and quickly. It is lightweight and compact so that it will be easier to store in your garage. It comes with eight height adjustment options that are controlled easily with a spring loaded manual lift so that you can be sure you are always giving your lawn the healthiest possible cut. And the cockpit is designed to be ergonomic and comfortable, and has great bonus features like anti-slip mats, an hour meter, and a storage compartment.
- The mower requires a lot of maintenance.
- You will probably need to replace mower belts regularly.
- The ball bearings on the mower are low grade.
- Only one grass management option included for the cutting deck.
- Mower does not handle steep grades or hills very well.
The Swisher ZT2760B is not a good mower for homeowners who are not mechanically inclined, because it is going to need maintenance. In fact, it is going to need more maintenance than most other residential zero turn mowers in its class and price range. You will also have to replace the mower belts more often than you might like, unless you upgrade to a set of bigger, more robust belts after buying it. And the ball bearings on the wheels and cutting deck are low grade. If you are someone who likes to get under the hood and tinker with your appliances, then perhaps these are not serious problems for you, but you should still take them under consideration. Finally, the mower does not have an option to bag your grass clippings, and only has side discharge instead; it also does not handle hills well, and does not have any added safety features to protect the driver in the event of a rollover.
When you are responsible for maintaining a property that has a lawn larger than an acre, you are going to need a riding mower to get the job done quickly and efficiently. And zero turn mowers are some of the most efficient models out there. They have super large cutting decks that allow them to cut wide swaths of grass, reducing time and effort. They have powerful engines that provide reliable performance. And they are the most maneuverable grass cutting machines available today. They can literally turn 360 degrees on a dime without stopping or slowing down.
The Swisher ZT2760B has all of the benefits of a big zero turn mower packed into a compact residential grade size. It has a powerful Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series engine designed to be long lasting and reliable. It has a 60 inch wide cutting deck with three mulching blades manufactured from tough 11 gauge welded steel. It is lightweight and compact enough to make storing it in your garage easy, because it will not take up too much space. And it is designed to provide convenience and comfort while you are using it. Overall this is a good zero turn mower for residential use on a large property.
The Swisher ZT2760B is priced in the mid range of residential grade zero turn mowers. That is because of the quality of its engine and the size of its cutting deck. For the price, you will be getting a high performance zero turn mower with a massive cutting deck size and a top of the line engine. At the same time, certain parts on this mower, such as the ball bearings and motor belts, are not manufactured out of high quality material. So you may want to ask yourself if it is worth it to spend a bit more money on a more expensive mower that does not have these drawbacks. Or, if you like to tinker with your machines, you may want to save that money and buy this one. Either way, the Swisher ZT2760B is a good zero turn mower at a reasonable price.