Power Smart DB7659-22 Review
Power Smart DB7659-22
|(Rated: 4 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower, Best Snow Blower, Gas Snow Blower Buying Guide, Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower Buying Guide, Gas Two-Stage Snow Blower Reviews, Power Smart, Power Smart Snow Blowers, Snow Blower Buying Guide, Snow Blower Reviews,|
When you live in a region of the United States that can expect a high volume of snow fall every winter, you need a snow blower that does not mess around. Whether you have an extra long driveway, or unpaved areas that need to be cleared, or if you just want serious snow clearing capacity in your garage, you should probably buy a two stage snow blower. These machines have the kind of clearance capacity that can deal with just about anything winter can throw your way. They have the highest snow cut depths and widest augers of anything you can find on the market, and they can deal with gravel driveways as easily as concrete ones. The Power Smart DB7659-22 is the kind of powerful, capable snow blower that you want in your garage when winter really starts getting serious. It has a snow cut depth that can deal with blizzard conditions easily.
The Power Smart DB7659-22 has a lot to offer – its ability is apparent as soon as you start reviewing its product specs. Because it is a two stage snow blower, it will have no trouble on any kind of surface, whether paved or not. Plus, its two stage design means it can clear more snow and throw it farther than most other residential snow blowers on the market. This will allow you to deal with tough winter conditions faster than you ever could before. You won’t have to worry about winter snow storms when you have this beast in your garage. In fact, you might start looking forward to them for a change.
The clearance width on the Power Smart DB7659-22 is 22 inches. This is what you want when you have a lot of ground to cover. And its intake height is sixteen inches, which means that there is hardly any amount of accumulation it will not be able to handle. Even if you live in the far reaches of Northern Canada, the Power Smart DB7659-22 will be able to handle just about anything that might come your way. All things considered, this is the kind of powerful snow blower you want in your garage.
The Power Smart DB7659-22 is a gas two stage snow blower with dimensions of 36 x 26 x 29 inches that weighs 154 pounds. It has an electric push button start, which is quite convenient, and an overhead valve engine with a displacement of 208 cubic centimeters. It can throw snow up to 35 feet.
|Dimensions||36 x 26 x 29 inches|
|Engine Manufacturer||Power Smart|
|Engine||208 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Speed Control||4 forward / 2 reverse|
|Clearing Width||22 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||16 inches|
|Throw Distance||Up to 35 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°|
|Wheels||12.5-Inch x 4-inch|
The Power Smart DB7659-22 has a snow cut depth of 16 inches and a clearance width of 22 inches, which will allow you to quickly deal with deep snow fall. Is 4-cycle engine propels the rear wheel drive as well as the auger. It has large 12.5 x 4 inch wheels for better traction. It has a 1 year warranty.
As soon as you lay your eyes on the Power Smart DB7659-22, it will be abundantly clear that this snow blower means business. While it is fairly compact for a two stage snow blower, it nevertheless radiates power as soon as you see it, and it is obvious that it will have no trouble taking care of all but the most Arctic of blizzards. Because it is a two stage snow blower, the Power Smart DB7659-22 can deal with any kind of terrain, as its auger will not make contact with the ground, although it may leave a thin layer of snow behind. But that will be easily dealt with by putting down rock salt after you have taken care of the deep stuff.
The Power Smart DB7659-22 has a sixteen inch snow cut depth, which will be more than sufficient to deal with just about any snow that could accumulate in 24 hours or less. And because its clearance width is 22 inches wide, you will be able to quickly and efficiently deal with large areas in fewer passes than you could with a smaller, less capable snow blower. And it can throw snow up to 35 feet away, which means you will not have to go over the same snow more than once, no matter how wide your driveway is.
All that ability is backed up by a robust 208 cubic centimeter, 4-cycle OHV engine that powers not only the auger, but the rear wheel drive as well. That means all you have to do is fire up this snow blower and steer: it does all the rest of the work on its own. And with four forward speeds, you will be able to select the one that is best for you. Its handle is ergonomic, and it has a compact footprint that will make it easy to store while you’re awaiting winter’s next challenge.
In a two stage snow blower, you are paying a little extra, so you want to be sure that you are getting enough power and performance to really take care of any amount of snow fall that could come your way. And with the Power Smart DB7659-22, that is exactly what you have to look forward to. It has the ability to deal with a great deal of snow, due to its wide, tall intake and robust engine.
- Fairly compact for a two stage blower : In spite of the fact that the Power Smart DB7659-22 has a high snow cut depth and wide clearance, along with a powerful engine and rear wheel drive, it is still a surprisingly compact machine. A lot of the time, when you own a two stage snow blower, you can expect it to take up a lot of room in your garage. But the Power Smart DB7659-22 can be tucked away in a small corner and it will be just fine.
- High clearance width and intake : The clearance width and intake height are two of the best reasons to buy a two stage snow blower like the Power Smart DB7659-22: they are much higher than anything you could find on electric or single stage machines, and they ensure you will be getting the job done much more quickly and efficiently, not to mention that you will be well prepared for just about anything that winter could throw your way. 12 inches? 16 inches? No problem.
- Self propelled drive : The fact that the Power Smart DB7659-22 drives itself is quite convenient. When you are dealing with a deep snow fall, the last thing you want to be doing is struggling to push your snow blower through it – at that point, you almost might as well be shoveling for all the good it will do your back. With the Power Smart DB7659-22, you can choose from one of four forward speeds and two reverse, so you are always clearing in comfort.
- Big wheels for more traction : As any one of us knows, snow and ice are slippery and can be dangerous. On your snow blower you want to be able to count on the fact that it is not going to slide around while you are turning corners or in the event that you hit an icy patch. And with the Power Smart DB7659-22 you don’t have to. Its big, tough wheels have deep treads, which means it will grip surfaces well.
- Easy to use : With its ergonomic handle and well placed control panel, the Power Smart DB7659-22 is very easy to use. It has convenient details like an electric starter, so you will not have to be struggling to hold down the choke while you yank on a recoil cord in the cold. Its speeds are easy to set, and the machine does most of the snow clearing work for you. All things considered, this is a fairly easy, very convenient machine.
The Power Smart DB7659-22 really has just about everything you could ask for in a two stage snow blower. It is loaded with great features that will make sure it is easier to use, and you know that there is practically no kind of snow fall that it will not be able to handle. When you have this snow blower in your garage, you will have a machine that you can count on even under the worst conditions.
With all of its excellent features – powerful engine, wide clearance and high intake – it may come as a bit of a surprise that there are a few areas in which the Power Smart DB7659-22 could actually stand to have a few minor improvements. Now, I am not saying that any of these Cons take away too much from the overall ability of the snow blower, but I think is good to cover all of its features thoroughly.
- Not CARB compliant : It is going to be hard to find a two stage snow blower that is compliant with the strict emissions standards set by the California Air Resources Board, but it still is worth mentioning. The CARB emissions standards are applicable not just in California but 14 other states as well, so be sure to check if they apply where you live. The real drawback in this case is the fact that some users won’t get to enjoy the Power Smart DB7659-22.
- Only six speed options : Now, I tend to think that 4 forward speed options along with 2 reverse options are plenty. But some models have as many as six forward speed options. And when it comes to options, you almost always want to have more. Still, I think that most users will be able to find the most comfortable setting for their needs with what the Power Smart DB7659-22 has to offer – and really, the most important thing is that it is self propelled.
- Fairly noisy, high vibrations : It is common for two stage snow blowers to be rather noisy, and they do tend to vibrate a lot. This is not really a Con but still is something you should be aware of, especially if this is you first time buying this type of machine. If you are clearing your driveway early in the morning before you head off to work, there is a good change you are going to be waking your neighbors.
- Impeller fan may struggle with wet snow : In a two stage snow blower, the auger collects the snow and passes it to the impeller fan, which blows it through the snow chute. Some models deal with wet, slushy snow better than others: while the Power Smart DB7659-22 is certainly able to take care of it, very wet snow may cause the impeller fan to slow down a bit. All this really means is that in wet snow you may have to go a bit slower.
- Chute control is manual : This is not really a drawback – the chute is easy enough to turn by hand – but it is slightly inconvenient. In order to adjust the snow chute, you will have to stop the Power Smart DB7659-22, come around to the side, and turn it yourself. It would be nice to have the option to turn the chute from the rear with the use of a crank or some other device. But it doesn’t take away from the overall performance.
So as you can see, none of these Cons are the sort of thing that I would think should concern you too much. Sure, it would be nice to have a million speed options on the rear drive, and it would be great if the chute could be turned more easily. But overall, the Power Smart DB7659-22 is still a great two stage snow blower that really holds up well in all of the particularly important areas.
When you are buying a high performance , relatively pricey machine like a two stage snow blower, you want to be certain that you are getting the very best one for your money. In my opinion, one of the very best ways to protect yourself is by doing a bit of comparison shopping. That way you can tell at a glance whether a snow blower is the right one. Let’s take a look at how the Power Smart DB7659-22 stacks up.
|Dimensions||36 x 26 x 29 inches||38 x 26 x 30 inches||38 x 26 x 30 inches|
|Start||Button push||Button push||Button push|
|Engine Manufacturer||Power Smart||Yard-Man||Briggs & Stratton|
|Engine||208 cc – OHV||179cc – OHV||205 cc – OHV|
|2-cycle / 4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle||4-cycle|
|Speed Control||4 forward / 2 reverse||6 forward / 2 reverse||4 forward / 2 reverse|
|Clearing Width||22 inches||24 inches||24 inches|
|Snow Cut Depth||16 inches||21 inches||21 inches|
|Throw Distance||Up to 35 feet||Up to 35 feet||Up to 20 feet|
|Chute Control||Manual 180°||Manual 180°||Manual 190°|
|Wheels||12.5-Inch x 4-inch||13-Inch x 4-inch||13-Inch x 5-inch|
|Weight||154 pounds||195 pounds||197 pounds|
|Warranty||1 year||2 years||2 years|
As you can see, while the Power Smart DB7659-22 does not have the widest clearance or the highest intake by a couple of inches, it does have the most powerful engine. That means it is going to be able to deal with heavier snow more easily, which will make it a more versatile machine. It’s also the lightest and most compact of the three snow blowers, which means it will be easier to use and find storage space for.
You want to be absolutely sure that you are getting the most for your money, and also be 100% certain that the two stage snow blower you purchase is definitely the right one for you. Just to be thorough, let’s take another look at the Power Smart DB7659-22’s Pros and Cons lists.
- Fairly compact for a two stage blower.
- High clearance width and intake.
- Self propelled drive.
- Big wheels for more traction.
- Easy to use.
With its great clearance width and intake height, the Power Smart DB7659-22 is going to be very well equipped to deal with just about any amount of snow fall that could accumulate in your area. And even with those features, it is still a pretty compact machine. Best of all, it is easy to use.
- Not CARB compliant.
- Only six speed options.
- Fairly noisy, high vibrations.
- Impeller fan may struggle with wet snow.
- Chute control is manual.
It is really too bad that the Power Smart DB7659-22 is not CARB compliant, if only because so many people will not get a chance to use it. As for the rest of these Cons, I think you will agree that none of them are the kind of serious problem that takes away too much from its overall ability.
A two stage snow blower like the Power Smart DB7659-22 really has a lot to offer. It can take care of deep snow fall without batting an eye, and its wide clearance means that even if you have a big, wide driveway to clear, you will be able to finish it more quickly and efficiently than ever. Because the Power Smart DB7659-22 has a powerful engine driving not only the auger and impeller fan but also the rear wheel drive, it will be a piece of cake to maneuver it through even the deepest drifts.
With all of these great features, the Power Smart DB7659-22 is still not the kind of overly bulky machine that so many two stage snow blowers tend to be. Instead, it is a compact, easy to use machine that will deliver a lot of reliable performance over the long term. I think this is a solid, tough snow blower that will serve you well.
Let’s face it: two stage snow blowers are not cheap. But you do not want the cheapest model that money can buy, you want a machine that is going to be able to take care of deep snow easily. You want a machine that is well designed, tough, and has the kind of performance that you need to get through the winter, no matter what kind of snow fall may come. And the Power Smart DB7659-22 is all of those things. Not only that, but compared to a lot of other two stage snow blowers, it is actually very reasonably priced. I think that the Power Smart DB7659-22 is a solid snow blower with a fair price.
Power Smart DB7659-22