Greenworks 25022 Review
|(Rated: 3.6 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Electric Lawn Mower, Best Lawn Mower, Electric Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Electric Lawn Mower Reviews, Greenworks, Greenworks Lawn Mowers, Lawn Mower Buying Guide, Lawn Mower Reviews, Walk-Behind Mower Buying Guide,|
We live in an age of increased awareness of how our actions impact the environment. Because of this many consumers are opting to purchase appliances that are more energy efficient, shop for organically grown produce or grow their own vegetables, and drive hybrid cars. One area in which we can all take a big step towards reducing our impact on the environment is in how we take care of our lawns. Lawn care has major effects on the environment, and there are a number of simple steps we can take to improve this. We can switch to composting our grass clippings to keep them out of landfills. We can be more careful about overwatering our lawns. And we can switch to mulching and organic fertilizers to reduce nitrogen and chemical runoff into rivers of streams.
We can also switch over to using electric lawn mowers instead of gas powered ones. Gas powered lawn mowers are responsible for an astonishing percentage of the overall pollution produced by households in the United States. Electric lawn mowers, on the other hand, produce zero emissions at the point of use and often rely on much cleaner energy sources as well. By switching over to an electric lawn mower, you can take a major step toward reducing your carbon footprint and the overall impact your household has on the environment. The Greenworks 25022 is a solid electric lawn mower that is not overly expensive. It provides a cutting deck that is comparable to those on gas powered lawn mowers and is able to cut smaller lawns quickly and efficiently with no loss of performance. If you’re concerned about the environment, purchasing a Greenworks 25022 can be a great move.
The Greenworks 25022 is a plug-in electric lawn mower with a twenty inch wide cutting deck. That width is bigger than what is available on most similarly priced electric lawn mowers, and it’s comparable to what is available on many gas powered lawn mowers as well. The Greenworks 25022 has a number of other excellent features that make it one of the better plug-in electric lawn mowers available today. It has three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price: side discharge, a mulching kit, and a rear bag assembly. The mower has seven height adjustment options with a wide range that spans 1 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches so you can always be sure you are giving your lawn the best possible cut to keep it looking and feeling great. Unlike gas powered lawn mowers, the Greenworks 25022 is quiet, so you can mow your lawn at any time of day without disturbing your neighbors. And it is light and compact enough that you will have no problem finding storage space for it or maneuvering it into tight corners of the yard. I will cover each of these features in more detail in the Pros section.
Then, in the Cons section of the review, I will discuss certain areas in which the Greenworks 25022 does not perform quite as well as I would like. As with any plug-in electric mower, there are limitations in terms of the mower’s range, and minor hassles associated with using extension cords. The mower – like many other electric ones – does have some issues with cutting taller grass as well as tougher varieties of grass such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass. Overall, it is not the most durable lawn mower, as its body is made of stamped metal and other parts are plastic. And because it draws 12 amps, it may blow circuit breakers on older garages, especially if you are running multiple appliances off them simultaneously.
Following that, I provide a detailed table that compares the product specs for this mower with two similar ones, so you can get a clear picture of how it stacks up to the competition. Finally, I’ll wrap up the review with a discussion of pricing.
The Greenworks 25022 is an electric plug-in lawn mower with overall dimensions of 36.7 x 19.8 x 22.5 inches, which means it will be compact enough to easily find storage for it in your garage or tool shed as well as easy to maneuver in tight spots in your yard. And even though it’s compact, it still has a 20 inch wide cutting deck, which makes it one of the widest you can find on the market today. The mower comes with three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price. You can discharge clippings out the side of the mower, collect them in a rear bag for later disposal or composting, or mulch them back into the soil for a healthier lawn. The drive system on the Greenworks 25022 is you, since it’s a manual push mower. It has a cutting area that spans a 100 foot radius around the nearest outlet.
|Dimensions||36.7 x 19.8 x 22.5 inches|
|Power||Corded 12 Amp Motor|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge|
|Drive System||Manual Push|
|Starter||Key + Push button|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (7 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 3-3/4-inch|
|Wheel Size||7-inch front / 10-inch rear|
The Greenworks 25022 is easy to start up and use. Simply plug it in, turn the safety key and engage the starter button and you’re ready to go. Unlike a gas powered lawn mower, the Greenworks 25022 will start up reliably every single time. The mower has seven height adjustment options that range from 1 1/2 inches to 3 3/4 inches. This allows you to pick the perfect height setting to keep your lawn looking and feeling its best every time. The mower has plastic wheels that are 7 inches tall in the front and 8 inches tall in the rear, and wider than the average wheel for better stability and easier maneuverability. The mower weighs just 56 pounds, which should be light enough for just about anyone to use it easily. It comes with a 4 year limited consumer warranty, which is twice the industry standard.
The Greenworks 25022 is a plug-in electric lawn mower with a 12 amp motor and a cutting radius that extends to 100 feet from the nearest outlet. While this may be limiting on long, narrow lawns, it should be more than enough area to handle most small suburban backyards. Because the mower is electric, it is considerably quieter than gas powered lawn mowers and produces zero emissions at the point of use. That means that you can use the mower at any time of day without having to worry about disturbing your neighbors. It also means that you will be taking a big step towards reducing your household’s overall carbon footprint if you switch to the Greenworks 25022 from a gas mower.
Often, consumers are wary of switching to an electric lawn mower because they are worried they will lose efficiency or performance with them. With the Greenworks 25022, this is not cause for concern. This mower has a twenty inch wide cutting deck, which makes it one of the widest decks available on an electric mower and about as wide as most gas powered mowers’ decks. That means you can enjoy the efficiency of cutting your lawn in fewer passes, saving you time on yard work, without needing a gas mower to do it.
The Greenworks 25022 comes with a number of very convenient features that make the mowing experience downright easy and enjoyable. It is equipped with three grass clippings management options right out of the box. You can discharge clippings out through the side chute into neat rows on your lawn. Or you can engage the mulching plug, which will cause the cutting deck to chop grass clippings into tiny pieces that will break down into the soil more quickly. This is an excellent way to keep your lawn looking healthy and lustrous without resorting to chemical fertilizers, which can burn the grass if they are applied incorrectly, and are responsible for much of the nitrogen runoff into streams and rivers. Finally, you can attach the rear bag and collect grass clippings for later compost or disposal.
There are seven height adjustment options included with the Greenworks 25022, and they have a wide range. It’s important to have several height options on your lawn mower, because you should never cut the grass any shorter than 1/3 of its initial height, as doing so can make it more susceptible to damage from heat waves or droughts. The height of the cutting deck is easy to adjust, too: all four wheels are simultaneously adjusted using a single lever at the rear of the mower.
The Greenworks 25022 has a compact overall footprint and is one of the more lightweight electric lawn mowers in its class. That means that even though it has one of the widest cutting decks available, it is designed efficiently so that you can find storage space for it fairly easily in your garage or tool shed. And just about anyone should be able to maneuver it around their yard – even in tighter spaces or between garden beds – without too much trouble.
While it may take more than one pass to get taller grass or tougher varieties of grass cut evenly, unlike battery powered electric lawn mowers, the Greenworks 25022 has adequate power to deal with these situations. It may get slowed down in taller grass or require extra passes to take care of tougher varieties of grass, though.
The Greenworks 25022 is one of the more competitively priced electric lawn mowers available today, and this is in spite of the fact that it has an extra wide cutting deck and convenient accessories like three grass clippings management options. And it will provide long term savings, since you will never have to pay for expensive fuel or maintenance costs. Overall this is a good mower at a very reasonable price.
There are a number of excellent features provided with the Greenworks 25022 that make it a solid electric mower that is perfect for keeping smaller lawns looking great all summer long. It is designed with an extra wide, 20 inch cutting deck that will allow you to finish cutting your lawn in fewer passes and less time. There are three grass clippings management options included in the initial purchase price, so you have the freedom to choose whether you want to collect clippings, discharge them into the lawn, or mulch them into tiny pieces that will break down more quickly. There is a wide range of cutting height options so you can always be sure you are giving your lawn the perfect cut to keep it healthy. The mower is quieter and much better for the environment than gas powered lawn mowers. And it is light and compact enough that you should have a fairly easy time finding storage space for it and maneuvering it around the lawn. Let’s examine each of these features in more detail.
- Extra wide cutting deck : One of the most important features to look for in a new lawn mower is the width of the cutting deck. Mowers with wider cutting decks allow you to finish cutting your lawn in fewer passes, which translates directly into less time. And the less time you have to spend on lawn care duties, the more time will be left to enjoy the rest of the weekend with your family. The cutting deck on the Greenworks 25022 is a full twenty inches wide. That makes it considerably wider than most comparably priced electric lawn mowers, as well as comparably sized compared to many gas powered lawn mowers. A mower that has a twenty inch wide cutting deck will let you finish the job almost 25% faster than the industry average 16 inch cutting deck. That time saved is that much more time you can spend relaxing and enjoying the summer.
- Three grass clippings management options : More often than not, affordably priced lawn mowers with wide cutting decks and quality motors cut corners in other areas. Usually, one of the first ones to go is extra grass management clippings options. Manufacturers will often either remove grass clippings management options altogether or else classify them as additional accessories that you then have to purchase separately. As a result, you are either limited in your freedom to choose the option that is best for you or else have to shell out more money than you originally thought you would. On the Greenworks 25022, three grass management options are included in the initial low purchase price: you can use the standard side discharge, or engage the mulching kit to chop clippings into fine pieces that will break down more quickly into the soil, or attach the rear bag assembly to collect clippings for later compost or disposal. And these options won’t cost anything extra.
- Seven height adjustments for the perfect cut : The Greenworks 25022 has seven height options that span a fairly wide range when compared to other lawn mowers. The seven positions range from 1 1/2 inches to 3 3/4 inches. Having a wide range of height options is important because lawn care experts agree that you should avoid cutting your grass any shorter than 1/3 of its initial height. That is because doing so can make your lawn vulnerable to damage from heat waves or droughts, as well as susceptible to diseases like brown spot and invasions by crab grass and other weeds. With seven height adjustments that have a fairly wide range, you can be certain that you are always giving your lawn the best possible cut to keep it looking beautiful and feeling its best. And height adjustment is very simple on the Greenworks 25022: there is a single rear lever that controls the height of all four wheels.
- Quiet and environmentally friendly : Unlike gas powered lawn mowers, which are the noisiest ones out there, the Greenworks 25022 runs very quietly. That means that if you are an early riser who likes to get your lawn care chores finished while the birds are still chirping and before it’s gotten too hot outside, you can do so without worrying about disturbing any neighbors who may be trying to sleep in. And unlike gas powered lawn mowers, electric mowers like the Greenworks 25022 do not produce any pollution or carbon emissions at the point of use. The EPA estimates that gas powered lawn mowers used residentially are responsible for up to five percent of the nation’s air pollution. Gas mowers use 800 million gallons of gas every year, and over 17 million gallons are estimated to be spilled each year while users are refilling their mowers. By switching to an electric lawn mower like the Greenworks 25022, you will be doing a lot to reduce your household’s carbon footprint.
- Lightweight and compact : The Greenworks 25022 weighs just 56 pounds, which makes it fairly lightweight for an electric lawn mower. It’s light enough that just about anyone should have no problem maneuvering it around their yard, regardless of their body type, age, or strength level. Pushing the mower is made even easier because of the fact that it has big, wide wheels: they are seven inches tall in the front and ten inches tall in the rear. And even though the Greenworks 25022 has a twenty inch wide cutting deck, its overall dimensions are not terribly big. It has overall dimensions of 36.7 x 19.8 x 22.5 inches, which makes it small enough that you should have no trouble finding adequate storage space for it in your garage or tool shed. Also, its handle folds down, so you can even store it under a work bench or underneath hanging garden tools. And its small size means you should have no problems getting it into tighter corners of the yard or between garden beds or other obstacles.
Taken together, these features really make the Greenworks 25022 one of the better plug-in electric mowers on the market today. If you have a smaller yard, and you are ready to make the move away from gas powered mowers, with all of the maintenance hassles, noise, and pollution that goes with them, this is a great option. It offers all of these features – extra wide cutting deck, multiple grass clippings management options, wide range of height adjustment options – without a price that is so high as to be unaffordable. And because you will never have to spend another dime on engine maintenance or fuel costs, the Greenworks 25022 will provide you additional savings over the years, to the point that it will practically pay for itself.
Even with all of its excellent features, there are still a few areas in which the Greenworks 25022 is not quite perfect, and it is important that you are fully aware of the mower’s limitations before you purchase it. Because the Greenworks 25022 is a plug-in electric mower, its range is limited by the length of the extension cord, and there are certain other minor hassles involved with using a power cord. Like many other electric lawn mowers, it may tend to get bogged down in taller grass, and it also can encounter difficulties with tougher varieties of grass such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass. The overall construction of the mower is not particularly durable, since many parts are made of plastic, so it should not be subjected to too much wear and tear. And depending on the wiring in your garage or other outdoor power outlets, you may find the Greenworks 25022 tends to overload and trip circuit breakers with some frequency. Let’s examine each of these points in more detail.
- The mower is limited by its power cord : It almost goes without saying that the range of a plug-in electric lawn mower extends only as far as the length of the extension cord. For most cords, this is a radius of 100 feet around any outlet. While this should be enough to take care of smaller yards, that of course depends on the location of the nearest power outlet. You may find that the farthest corners of your lawn are just a bit farther from the nearest outlet than a single extension cord can reach. On the other hand, while battery powered electric lawn mowers are not limited by range, they do have short run times, where a plug-in electric mower can run indefinitely. Still, there are other issues with power cords: they are bulky, heavy, and seem to get tangled up no matter how carefully you wind them up. And they can get lost in tall grass, where you may run the risk of running over them with the lawn mower and damaging the cutting deck or slicing through the cord.
- It may get bogged down in taller grass : This is a problem that is common to many electric lawn mowers: their motors are not quite powerful enough to drive the cutting deck through taller grass. That does not mean that they will not be able to cut lawns with tall grass, but it does mean it may take a bit longer and be slow going through tall, shaggy lawns. Or you may find that you have to make multiple passes to get through taller grass. At the same time, the Greenworks 25022 does have a maximum height setting that is 3 3/4 inches, so it should be able to tackle grass that is up to about five or six inches tall without too much difficulty. Still, if you tend to let your lawn get much taller than that – which is easy to do if you’re busy with work and family or like to take a long vacation during the summer – you may experience difficulties keeping it cut.
- It can have problems with tough varieties of grass : In some parts of the United States that experience very hot summers with little rainfall – particularly the Deep South and the Southwest – it’s typical to see lawns that are planted with tough, drought resistant varieties of grass such as St. Augustine or Bermuda grass. While these varieties retain water better and stay green even through weeks of hundred degree heat waves, they are also built much differently than finer varieties of grass such as Kentucky bluegrass or fine fescue. They have a much thicker stalk, and electric lawn mowers have a tendency to struggle with them as a result. The Greenworks 25022 is able to cut through tougher varieties of grass, but it may take a bit longer and necessitate several passes to get the job done. But unlike many battery powered lawn mowers, which do not pack enough power to cut these varieties at all, the Greenworks 25022 will be able to do it; it may just take a bit more work.
- The overall construction of the mower is not very durable : The wheels on the Greenworks 25022 are tall and wide, which is great for stability on uneven ground, but they are also made of fairly weak plastic, which could present durability problems. Similarly, the body of the lawn mower is made from stamped metal as opposed to welded steel, which means it will also not be very heavy duty. As a result, the mower should not be subjected to serious wear and tear or tough use over the long term, as this could damage it. Rough use also voids the limited warranty, which means you will be out of luck as far as repairs or replacements are concerned if you do subject the Greenworks 25022 to tough use over the long term. Because of that, I recommend that you do not use this mower for anything other than basic, fairly simple residential lawn care jobs.
- The mower may have a tendency to trip circuit breakers : This is a problem that crops up every now and again on plug in electric lawn mowers. While modern circuit breaker boxes are designed to hold amperage loads of up to 16 amps before you run the risk of tripping them, occasionally wiring in garages or on outdoor circuits is not quite up to this standard. As a result, because the Greenworks 25022 has a motor that draws 12 amps to run the cutting deck, you may experience blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers when you try to use it. This problem will be exacerbated if you are running other tools or outdoor lighting on the same fuse as the mower. To prevent this, make sure all other appliances running on that fuse are shut off and unplugged before you turn on the Greenworks 25022. If your garage outlet simply can’t handle the load of this mower, you may have to get extra extension cords and run it off of an indoor circuit.
The fact that the Greenworks 25022 is limited in its range by the power cord is one of the tradeoffs of using a plug-in electric mower. Unlike a battery powered mower, which can go just about anywhere, you are tethered to an outlet with a plug-in mower. On the other hand, plug-in mowers can run indefinitely and tend to be a bit more powerful than battery powered mowers. At the same time, the Greenworks 25022 may have difficulty with taller or tougher varieties of grass, but it will cut through them eventually if you are patient and don’t mind making multiple passes. The durability of the materials could be an issue, but it should be fine if you don’t intend to beat up on your lawn mower too much. Finally, while it may tend to trip circuit breakers, there are a number of workaround for that, and this problem may have less to do with the design of the mower than the wiring in the garage. Overall I do not think any of these drawbacks takes away too much from the quality or performance of the Greenworks 25022.
I think it is very important to always do some comparison shopping before you settle on a particular product, and for that reason I always provide detailed comparison tables that look at the different product specifications for three similar lawn mowers. This is because product comparison gives you a lot of information that you won’t get just by looking at product reviews or the pros and cons of an individual machine. Product comparison allows you to get a clear picture of how a particular machine stacks up against similar ones made by its competitors, as well as a good idea of what the market as a whole has to offer. This way, you can be certain you are making the most informed decision when you choose one mower over another. The following table compares the product specs of the Greenworks 25022 with those of the Earthwise 60120 and the Greenworks 25092.
|Dimensions||36.7 x 19.8 x 22.5 inches||39.8 x 22.8 x 35.7 inches||37.6 x 18.7 x 21.5 inches|
|Power||Corded 12 Amp Motor||24V Removable Battery|
(Inc. 1 battery)
|24V Removable Battery|
(Inc. 1 battery)
|Charge Time||n/a||15 Hours to 100%||15 Hours to 100%|
|Deck Size (cutting swath)||20-inch||20-inch||18-inch|
|Mulch/Bag/Discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch, bag, and discharge||Mulch and bag|
|Cutting Area||n/a||up to 1/3 acre||up to 1/4 acre|
|Runtime charge (conditions may vary)||n/a||up to 45 minutes||up to 35 minutes|
|Drive System||Manual Push||Manual Push||Self-Propelled Motor|
|Starter||Key + Push button||Key + Push button||Key + Push button|
|Height Adjustment||Single lever (7 positions)||Single lever (7 positions)||Single lever (7 positions)|
|Height Settings||1-1/2- to 3-3/4-inch||1-1/2- to 3-3/4-inch||1-1/4- to 3-1/2-inch|
|Wheel Size||7-inch front / 10-inch rear||7-inch front / 9-1/2 inch rear||7-inch front / 8-inch rear|
|Weight||56 pounds||92 pounds||90 pounds|
|Warranty||4 years||2 years||4 years|
As you can see, the Greenworks 25022 has one of the widest available cutting decks, at 20 inches. At the same time, it manages to have the smallest overall dimensions, which means it will be the easiest one to find storage space for as well as a lot easier to maneuver around the yard. There is no need to wait for many hours for the Greenworks 25022 to charge, because unlike the other two machines, you simply plug it in and you’re ready to get going. Its run time is practically indefinite, while the other two mowers last less than an hour. The Greenworks 25092 is the only one of the three that is self-propelled, which some users may find appealing. All three mowers have single lever adjustment of seven cutting heights and comparable ranges. The Greenworks 25022 has the largest wheels and is also the most lightweight of the three mowers, which means it will be the easiest to maneuver around the yard.
When you are making the transition from gas powered to electric mowers, there are a number of features that are important to consider. The overall mowing experience is effected most by the width of the cutting deck, the availability of grass clippings management options, the range of height adjustments, and the ability of the mower to handle tougher and denser patches of grass. The relative importance of each is something that every consumer has to decide for themselves based on the size and type of lawn they have and what kind of performance they need from their mower. In the majority of these areas, the Greenworks 25022 performs above and beyond expectations. In a few others, it falls a bit short of what you might want in a lawn mower. Before we wrap up this review, let’s take another look at both the Pros and Cons the Greenworks 25022 has to offer.
- Extra wide cutting deck.
- Three grass clippings management options.
- Seven height adjustments for the perfect cut.
- Quiet and environmentally friendly.
- Lightweight and compact.
At twenty inches, the cutting deck on the Greenworks 25022 is considerably larger than what is available on most electric lawn mowers, and it is even comparable to what many gas powered lawn mowers offer. This is important since you will not be losing any efficiency by switching to this mower from a gas powered one. It has three grass management options included in the initial purchase price, unlike many lawn mowers that either do not provide them at all or force you to pay extra for them. It has a wide range of height adjustment options that allow you to always be sure you are setting the perfect height to keep your lawn looking beautiful. It’s much quieter and better for the environment than gas powered lawn mowers. And it is lightweight and compact enough that it will be easy to find enough storage space for it and maneuver it around your yard.
- The mower is limited by its power cord.
- It may get bogged down in taller grass.
- It can have problems with tough varieties of grass.
- The overall construction of the mower is not very durable.
- The mower may have a tendency to trip circuit breakers.
There are advantages and drawbacks to using a plug-in lawn mower. On the one hand, it can run almost indefinitely, unlike a battery powered lawn mower, which will run out of juice much more quickly. On the other hand, the range of a plug-in electric mower is limited by the length of the power cord and location of the nearest outlet. But if you have a smaller yard, this shouldn’t be too much of a problem for you. The Greenworks 25022, like many electric lawn mowers, can tend to get bogged down in tall grass and may have issues getting through tougher varieties of grass. Certain parts of the mower are made from materials that are not the most durable, so it won’t hold up to repeated tough jobs. And depending on the wiring in your garage, you may have problems with tripping circuit breakers when you use it.
There are plenty of great reasons to make the transition to electric lawn mowers from gas powered ones. Not only are these machines quieter and better for the environment than gas powered lawn mowers, they also will save you a lot of money over the long term on fuel and maintenance costs. But you don’t want to lose efficiency or performance when you switch to an electric lawn mower, so it can be hard to find the right one for your needs.
The Greenworks 25022 is a great option that solves most of these problems. It has a 20 inch wide cutting deck, so you don’t have to worry about losing efficiency when you mow your lawn. It has convenient options for setting the cutting deck height and managing your grass clippings. And it has enough power that it will be able to get through tougher varieties of grass, although it may take a bit longer or need more passes than a gas powered mower would. Overall this is a solid electric lawn mower at a competitive price.
The Greenworks 25022 is a very affordable lawn mower, especially when it is compared to similar electric models. Considering the fact that it has an extra wide cutting deck and convenient features such as three grass management options and a wide range of cutting heights, I’m frankly a bit surprised that it is not more expensive. And unlike many budget lawn mowers, this one provides quality performance over the long term. Add to that the fact that it will save plenty of money on fuel and maintenance costs, and the savings this mower provides make it one of the most affordable ones you can find on the market today.