Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 Review
|(Rated: 3.8 / 5) Review by Frank Lowery|
|Ease of Assembly|
|Balance And Handling|
|Related pages: Best Electric Pressure Washer, Best Pressure Washer, Best Residential Pressure Washer, Campbell Hausfeld, Campbell Hausfeld Pressure Washers, Electric Pressure Washer Reviews, Pressure Washer Reviews, Residential Pressure Washer Reviews,|
Owning a powerful new pressure washer is one of the best ways to make the workload that comes with being a homeowner much lighter. With the right pressure washer on your side, jobs that used to take an entire Saturday afternoon – or worse, the whole weekend – can now be finished in a matter of an hour or two. Whether it is washing your deck down for the first time in years, cleaning mold off your siding, or blasting dirt and grime off of masonry, a high powered pressure washer can get the job done faster and with less work on your part. But it can be hard to pick the right pressure washer for your needs, not to mention finding one that is high quality and affordable. Fortunately, the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is a model that combines great design, ease of use and durability with a very competitive price.
The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is one of those hard to find residential pressure washers that provides a fairly high cleaning power rating along with an easy to use, convenient design, and does so at a very reasonable price. While many pressure washers with similar cleaning power ratings and components are considerably more expensive than the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835, this pressure washer gives you everything you need to take care of big jobs fast without forcing you to spend more money than you might like.
The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has a cleaning power rating that is slightly above average for an electric residential pressure washer. It provides all of the convenience that goes with switching away from gas powered models, such as zero emissions, little required maintenance, and a lower carbon footprint. And it gives you lots of options in terms of the level of pressure in the spray and the amount of soap you want to use on different jobs. It is built to be as easy to use as possible, which is why it is equipped with convenient onboard storage for its components and an instant start/stop feature. And you get all of that at a price point that is below average for its class.
The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is a residential electric pressure washer that weighs 32 pounds and has dimensions of 15.5 x 16 x 35 inches. It has a 120 Volt / 60 Hertz motor and a direct-drive axial pump. It has a max pressure of 1800 pounds per square inch and a flow rate of 1.5 gallons per minute.
|Dimensions||15.5 x 16 x 35|
|Motor||120 V / 60 Hz / 14 Amp|
|Nozzle||Adjustable jet / Turbo|
|Hose||1/4-inch x 20-foot|
The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has a flow rate of 2700 units, which is above average for residential electric units. It produces a cold water spray though its adjustable jet turbo nozzle, which is controlled by its ergonomic spray gun. It has a 20 foot PVC plastic hose and a 35 foot long power cord.
The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 arrives mostly assembled, and putting the finishing touches on it takes only a few minutes and can be done with juts a Phillips head screwdriver. Once you have got it all put together, all that you will have to do is plug it into the nearest outlet, hook up the water source and fill the onboard detergent reservoir, and you’re ready to go. You may want to also replace the plastic connector nozzles with brass ones before you get started – but we will discuss that in more depth later on in the review.
The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 eliminates all of the hassles that are typically associated with gas powered pressure washers: gone are the days of having to prime the engine, check the oil level, and make sure the gas tank is full. Gone too are the harmful carbon emissions that increase your household’s carbon footprint and make it harder to use a pressure washer in an enclosed space. The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 never produces any emissions, which means you can even use it safely indoors, although you should make sure you have adequate drainage to handle the flow rate of 1.5 gallons per minute.
That flow rate – along with its max pressure level – gives the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 a solid cleaning power rating that is actually above average for residential pressure washers. That means you will be able to count on it for tough jobs. But because the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has an adjustable jet spray nozzle, you can dial down the power for dealing with more delicate surfaces, such as cleaning windows or washing your car. There is an onboard detergent reservoir for washing out obstinate stains. And best of all, you get all of this convenience and power at a price that is very competitive.
There are plenty of great features on the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835, but for the purposes of our review I narrowed it down to the top five best features. The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has a solid cleaning power rating packed into a compact and lightweight design. It has a number of unique design features that help to improve its overall ease of use and convenience. Let’s take a look at the top reasons this is a great pressure washer.
- Solid cleaning power rating : The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has a cleaning power rating of 2700, which places it among some of the best pressure washers in its class. Any pressure washer with a cleaning power rating above 2400 is going to be solid enough to handle the vast majority of cleaning jobs you can find around the average suburban household. The extra few hundred units ensure that the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 will be ready to deal with tougher jobs as well.
- Compact and lightweight : But in spite of the fact that the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has an above average cleaning power rating, it is still one of the lighter and smaller residential pressure washers on the market today. That means that you will have no problem finding enough storage space for it. But it also means that it will be a piece of cake to take the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 with you wherever you might need to use it. Whether it is in a tight crawlspace or to the top of a ladder, the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is easy to bring with.
- Convenient onboard storage : The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 also has a number of convenient onboard storage features. It has a reel for winding up the hose, a side holster for holding the spray gun and additional wands, and even a spot for storing the power cord. Best of all, it has an onboard detergent reservoir, so you will always have soap on hand when you have to deal with tougher cleanup jobs. With all of that convenience, you will be ready for anything.
- Instant Star/Stop feature : The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is equipped with an instant start/stop feature that shuts down the pump and motor as soon as you release the trigger on the spray wand. That means you will only be using power when you need it, which will save a bit of money. But it also means that you will not be running those components when you do not need to be. That will give the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 a much longer working life.
- Adjustable Turbo Jet nozzle : Most residential pressure washers come with three to five nozzle tips that have set PSI levels, which can be fairly limiting for choosing the right pressure for different kinds of jobs. On the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 the spray wand has a single adjustable jet nozzle for selecting exactly the right pressure for each job as it arises. Plus, there is a Turbo feature that can increase the tip pressure by fifty percent for blasting tough stains.
With all of these great features, it is clear why the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is considered one of the better residential pressure washers at its price point. It has all of the components that you would need for taking on basic jobs, as well as plenty of additional features that make it versatile enough to take on a wide range of other tasks as well. The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is a solid pressure washer with a lot to offer.
After hearing about all of the great features the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has to offer, you might be a bit surprised to find that there are a few areas in which it is less than perfect. For most of these, there will be no real effect on its power or performance, but a few of them could definitely use improvement, and one may require you to replace a part to keep it running well. But overall, I don’t think these take away too much from the great cleaning power rating and ease of use the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has to offer.
- Uses plastic connectors : Plastic connectors are the bane of anyone who is serious about getting the most out of their residential pressure washer. These are very common, so it is not an indictment of the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 itself. But they will eventually get worn down and start to develop leaks, which means you should replace them with brass connectors as soon as possible. The upside of this is that doing so is not at all expensive and actually fairly easy.
- It’s a bit top-heavy : This is another fairly common problem with a lot of electric residential pressure washers, and the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is no exception to that. The unit stands upright, with the center of gravity set rather high, and the outgoing hose attaching near the top of the machine. That means it will tip over fairly easily, even if you are being careful. Fortunately the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is durable enough to resist the impact of a fall, but it is still inconvenient.
- Could use a little more PSI : The PSI on the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is a fairly solid 1800 units, which will be plenty for most jobs – but it could still be a bit higher. I always prefer to see a max PSI that is at or above 2000 units, because that ensures that you will have enough power to deal with tough stains in surfaces like concrete or masonry just as quickly as easier ones. Still, 1800 is a decent level.
- Hose is hard to roll up : The hose on the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is made of PVC plastic, which is a preferred material on residential pressure washers because it is durable enough to withstand a high pressure stream of water and fairly cheap to manufacture. But it is also going to be fairly stiff, which can make rolling and unrolling the hose a bit difficult – and may contribute to the unit falling over. But all things considered this is not a huge issue.
- Uses up soap quickly : Having an onboard soap reservoir is obviously very useful for a number of reasons. The soap level is adjustable as well, but even when you have it set to the lowest setting, the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 tends to go through soap fairly quickly. The reservoir does hold a full 1.5 liters, which should be more than enough to get through most big jobs without running out, but occasionally it will happen anyway.
As you can see, the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 does not present any of the kind of problems that can really take away from all of the great features it does have to offer. While you will want to replace the plastic connectors, that is true for most residential electric pressure washers. And the other Cons really do not affect the overall performance, power or longevity of the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 in any real sense.
Pros and Cons lists can tell us a lot about the individual merits of a given pressure washer like the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 – but to really find out how it stacks up to the competition, we have to do a bit of comparison shopping. That is really the best way to know if the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has a good PSI or flow rate, and whether it has the longest hose and highest cleaning power rating.
|AR Blue Clean
|Dimensions||15.5x16x35||15.5 x 16.5 x 23||7.5x10x18|
|Motor||120 V / 60 Hz / 14 Amp||120 V / 60 Hz
|120 V / 60 Hz
|Pump||Direct-drive axial||Direct-drive axial||3 axial-piston wobble-plate|
|Hose||1/4-inch x 20-foot||1/4-inch x 25-foot||1/4-inch x 20-foot|
|Weight||32 pounds||31 pounds||18.2 pounds|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year|
At 1800 units, the max PSI on the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is definitely comparable to what other residential pressure washers have to offer, and when it’s combined with a 1.5 gallon per minute flow rate, it gives us a cleaning power rating that is well above average. The Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 does well in every other product spec category out there, making it a solidly above average pressure washer on all counts.
When compared to other pressure washers in its class, the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 comes out as good as or better than them on almost all areas. But before you make up your mind to buy this model, let’s take one more quick look at the Pros and Cons lists, just to be absolutely certain it’s the right one for you.
- Solid cleaning power rating.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Convenient onboard storage.
- Instant Star/Stop feature.
- Adjustable Turbo Jet nozzle.
With a solid cleaning power rating packed into a small and light design, lots of convenient features that make using it much easier, and a great price point, the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 is definitely a great residential pressure washer. It has everything you need for lots of great cleaning performance.
- Uses plastic connectors.
- It’s a bit top-heavy.
- Could use a little more PSI.
- Hose is hard to roll up.
- Uses up soap quickly.
The one area that will definitely need improvement is the plastic intake connector – but the same is true for nearly every other residential pressure washer out there, so it’s not a major problem. The same goes for the rest of the Cons on the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835: overall this is still a great pressure washer.
A residential electric pressure washer is going to make any homeowner’s life a lot more convenient. With one of these machines on your side, there is no end to the different jobs that you will be able to finish much more quickly and easily than you ever could before. But for that to be true, you want to make sure that you are getting a well designed machine that delivers a solid cleaning power rating and lots of convenience – and you want to get it at a good price. On the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835, that is exactly what you will be going to get. This is a pressure washer that delivers the kind of above average power that will allow you to tackle the toughest jobs. It’s got loads of features that help make using it easier than ever. And it has one of the more competitive prices you can find in its class.
It can be difficult to find a good residential pressure washer that also has a reasonable price tag, but on the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 that is exactly what you are going to get. In spite of the fact that it has an above average cleaning power rating and lots of great features, the Campbell Hausfeld PW1835 has a price point that is actually below average for its class. That means you will be able to get all of the power and convenience of a solid residential pressure washer without having to break the bank to get it. This is a good pressure washer at a great price.